Verizon Unlimited Data Plan for Jetpacks

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the first and second months were perfect, no shut downs except when the prepay didn't activate..  Now that I am in my 3rd month, each evening at about 10:00pm Mountain Time (AZ),  the JetPack says all is well, but the computer shows 'limited'  on the connection symbol and I lose internet.  The first two nights, I immediately rebooted the JetPack and all went back to normal.  Last night I waited to see if it would reboot on it's own....nope.  Waited about 15 minutes, then did a manual reboot and all is well....again.  Haven't taken the time to call/chat/drive to the Verizon store but will report what they say when done.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Al F said:

Yesterday (1/13/19) was my renewal day and in mid morning my 6620 jetpack started showing "no internet secured" on my laptop.  Rebooting the jetpack and it would work for several minutes and then I would loose the internet. Rebooted 3 times and same thing. No messages or indication of a problem on the jetpack.   Switched to my ph hotspot and then came back to the jetpack in a few hours and all worked OK.

We'll see if this repeats next month.

That's very similar to the behavior I observed.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

13 hours ago, docj said:

That's very similar to the behavior I observed.

I have my second auto renewal coming up at the end of the month so we shall see.  I didn't notice any interruption on my first one last month.  I was a little concerned of interruption on the first one, but was surprised.  Maybe it will be third time is the charm?

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

2 hours ago, edatlanta said:

I have my second auto renewal coming up at the end of the month so we shall see.  I didn't notice any interruption on my first one last month.  I was a little concerned of interruption on the first one, but was surprised.  Maybe it will be third time is the charm?

There's now a thread on IRV2 about the same issue: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/pre-paid-verizon-jetpack-out-of-data-426706.html#post4589977

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

On 1/10/2019 at 9:23 AM, docj said:

Interesting.  My "issues" continued throughout the renewal day despite the fact that my online account stated that payment had been received for the next month, etc.  What was odd was that when these outages occurred the Jetpack's display screen was totally normal and showed that I had an LTE connection.  But none of the devices on my internal network could access the internet until I rebooted the Jetpack.  Of course it could have been a local Verizon issue, but my phones didn't seem to be having any problems.  I'll see if it reoccurs next month.

Ok Joel...you jinxed me. I woke up the computer and it said I had no internet. Looked at the jetpack and all seemed ok. I rebooted the jetpack and all is well. Wanna guess what today is??

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

5 hours ago, Big5er said:

Ok Joel...you jinxed me. I woke up the computer and it said I had no internet. Looked at the jetpack and all seemed ok. I rebooted the jetpack and all is well. Wanna guess what today is??

😂🤣

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Maybe there are other reasons for the behavior I observed.  Over the past two days my Jetpack began exhibiting the same behavior--no error message but none of the connected devices had internet.

I called VZW and the CSR couldn't find anything wrong but she noted that "your Jetpack isn't fully activated with the network" whatever that means.   Supposedly she went off to have someone fix that problem but a few minutes later (after the call had ended) the issued reoccurred.  I then did a full factory reset and for the past ~20 hours things have been Ok.  We'll see what happens.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

7 hours ago, docj said:

Over the past two days my Jetpack began exhibiting the same behavior--no error message but none of the connected devices had internet.

I have not used my 8800 for several days.  Today I powered it on and it says no internet.  My account says I have gone over my data...on my prepaid unlimited plan.  Maybe it is time to do a factory reset and see what happens.

Today is our anniversary date. I stopped in the Verizon store yesterday to pay before the date. This morning, there was no internet connection. Power reset, and back online. 3 times today, 7700 would freeze up, and loose internet connection. Cycle power each time.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

45 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I stopped in the Verizon store yesterday to pay before the date.

I assume you are aware that there's a $5 discount for setting up automatic payment..

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, docj said:

I assume you are aware that there's a $5 discount for setting up automatic payment..

Yup, but we only need it for the winter months. Don't need to have to deal with over-charges to the credit card, from Canada. Been there, bought the t-shirt.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

In an earlier reply I stated we had the "no internet" problem on our payment date.  Now the problem is occurring more frequently.  Last Sunday we were Skyping on a group call with two computers active and about every15 minutes we got the "no internet".  POR our 6620 and it worked for another 15 minutes.

Finally yesterday, Wednesday, the Jetpack went into the no internet and I had the time to start a chat session (I had to use my Ph Hotspot) and the Tech said he made some changes which should fix the problem.  I was on the chat session for about 1.5 hours.  He also had me do a factory reset of the jetpack. 

I'll update if I get more failures.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

11 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Happy anniversary.......and many more.

Ummm,...JetPack anniversary. Happens every month.😎

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Yup, but we only need it for the winter months. Don't need to have to deal with over-charges to the credit card, from Canada. Been there, bought the t-shirt.

Now if there was only something similar I could buy for my summers in Canada.  My Verizon Unlimited plan on my phones gives me free Travel Pass in Canada but that's only ~500MB/day.  I have an inexpensive Fido USB modem that can give me another few GB but it's not all that cheap. Do you know of any Canadian plans that might be similar to the prepaid you are using in the US?  I only got the Rogers plan because a guy at a Fido store didn't care if I wasn't a Canadian citizen.  But a prepaid data plan would seem to be perfect if it existed; we're planning on being in Canada in later June.

Joel (AKA docj)

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Sorry, Joel. Data in Canada is expensive. The plans do change fairly frequently, so keep in touch with Freedom mobileBellKoodo, and Telus. The 1st and 3rd names are the bargain arm of the 2nd and 4th names, and will often have better temporary plan pricing. Rogers is a 3rd string player, but they have been making strides in tower locations. They don't run a discount arm, like the big 2.

Please e-mail us here.

5 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Sorry, Joel. Data in Canada is expensive. The plans do change fairly frequently, so keep in touch with Freedom mobileBellKoodo, and Telus. The 1st and 3rd names are the bargain arm of the 2nd and 4th names, and will often have better temporary plan pricing. Rogers is a 3rd string player, but they have been making strides in tower locations. They don't run a discount arm, like the big 2.

Thanks for the detail of what carriers are discount, etc.  Our Fido stick is on Rogers which happens to be strong at the CG we stay at on PEI.   We used to have a Bell prepaid phone for voice but that was before Verizon started offering us free service in Canada.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I have been following this topic. For about 12 years, maybe more, I have used a Pantech "aircard" and basic Cradlepoint router. Works fine, even in the Bahamas with the "travelpass" add on.

Trying to get an 8800L Jetpack is proving impossible at least thru Verizon. Just got off the phone and they are "discontinued" with the 7730L Mifi Jetpack offered as the "upgrade" to the 8800L. However they don't have any of those at this time. Now I am back to square one. I am a subscriber to "mobile internet resource center"  and am going to be researching my options. I want to stay with Verizon. My phones are all ATT but we do travel to areas where Verizon is "it".  Any real world advice?

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

28 minutes ago, LarryN said:

I have been following this topic. For about 12 years, maybe more, I have used a Pantech "aircard" and basic Cradlepoint router. Works fine, even in the Bahamas with the "travelpass" add on.

Trying to get an 8800L Jetpack is proving impossible at least thru Verizon. Just got off the phone and they are "discontinued" with the 7730L Mifi Jetpack offered as the "upgrade" to the 8800L. However they don't have any of those at this time. Now I am back to square one. I am a subscriber to "mobile internet resource center"  and am going to be researching my options. I want to stay with Verizon. My phones are all ATT but we do travel to areas where Verizon is "it".  Any real world advice?

eBay lists a number of both models, new, used, and refurbished. If you buy one, you can set it up under the "BYOP" option or just take it to a Verizon store and tell them you want to activate it on the 28366 $70 Jetpack prepaid unlimited plan.

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just looked at mine, have not used a couple years but is this one (5510L) a good one for traveling with or is an antique?  Says 4G LTE on the front.  I don't remember it being inexpensive when we did use it.  Can it be used on the prepaid unlimited plan?  Wife and I are on the unlimited plans, I only hit about 50gig a month.  At 20, mine goes into granny mode at times.  Would I be better going into beyond (?) with her phone too (I think it's an extra $10/mo to increase hers (don't quote me on that) or just set this one up again?

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Cool, thanks, checked it, it's eligible.  I also looked at my monthly bill, it would cost 20/mo to bring my wife's to above unlimited like I have.  It gives me from what I see about the same as using the mifi.  Their site wants $45/mo to use mifi-prepaid where it would only run 20/mo extra for my wife's upgrade.  I see no need for me to turn on this mifi.  Guess it goes back in the box to collect more dust.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:18 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Thanks for the detail of what carriers are discount, etc.  Our Fido stick is on Rogers which happens to be strong at the CG we stay at on PEI.   We used to have a Bell prepaid phone for voice but that was before Verizon started offering us free service in Canada.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador