Suggestions For a good OTA antenna please!

coachmac9

31 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

For OTA , I'll agree with^ . 

That's all we use . Ours is OEM installed ( 18 years ago ) . I added a loop to receive UHF .

Currently , we receive 19 stations . We are 17 miles from the closest town with a grocery store .

HPIM0003.jpg

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Winguard Sensar IV,  with antennas,,,two things, more metal in the air and height,.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

When our old Wineguard broke we replaced it with a King Jack and it is really nice and works great.   Here is Camping World's page on it, but you can buy it other places - https://www.campingworld.com/king-jack-hdtv-directional-antenna-signal-meter-white .

Here is the Amazon price - https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-Directional-Antenna-Signal/dp/B01N1MLFGK/ .

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

16 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

When our old Wineguard broke we replaced it with a King Jack and it is really nice and works great.   Here is Camping World's page on it, but you can buy it other places - https://www.campingworld.com/king-jack-hdtv-directional-antenna-signal-meter-white .

Here is the Amazon price - https://www.amazon.com/KING-OA8500-Directional-Antenna-Signal/dp/B01N1MLFGK/ .

Good you like it .

The folks I asked about the King they just installed were not real impressed and some said they liked the Winegard better .

I suppose that may have been influenced by the different places we were in , but ...

Goes around , comes around .

We parked next to some friends with the King Jack antenna.  WE had the Wineguard Sensar  IV.  We got more channels than they did.  To see if the RV or the slight difference in location made a difference, we swapped TVs.  The one on the Sensar iv still did better.  This was in a pretty remote area.  

We have noticed for distant stations, the Sensar Iv out performs the King Jack every time.  I areas with close stations, they are pretty well equal.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I don't like to link to other forums, but here's a long post by an FCC licensed broadcast engineer using professional level equipment comparing a King Jack with a Winegard Sensar III w/Wingman add-on.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27171026.cfm

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I replaced a batwing with a King Jack a few years ago.  It did well on UHF stations but would not pick up VHF stations less than ten miles away in flat terrain.  I just replaced the King Jack with a new batwing, the Sensar IV.  It picks up all the available UHF and VHF channels with strong signals from the same location the Jack would not.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

As more stations move down to low and high VHF channels during the current FCC mandated repack cycle, the King's performance will only get worse. The link below is to a chart of the new channel assignments for the repack. Note that the channels shown are the actual RF broadcast channels, not the virtual channels shown in on air ID's.

https://www.rabbitears.info/repackchannels.php

Dutch

2 hours ago, mkc said:

?  OTA for Internet?  (This is the Internet Access board)

I use a "New since last visit" link, so I didn't even notice where the OP posted. Do the demerits go on my "Permanent Record"? :)

Dutch

11 hours ago, mkc said:

?  OTA for Internet?  (This is the Internet Access board)

😅😅😅 I almost put an "over and under" bet with my original post on how many posters it would be before someone said something about the topic not being in the right place!!! I did ponder for a little while when I posted originally about where to put it...it's not "satellite tv and radio", or "technical tips and tricks" or "rv'ing on a budget"...probably should have posted under "general rv information" but I didn't...more demerits for me!!!!

Thanks again for all the useful information guys!! 

1 hour ago, coachmac9 said:

I did ponder for a little while when I posted originally about where to put it...it's not "satellite tv and radio", or "technical tips and tricks" or "rv'ing on a budget"...probably should have posted under "general rv information" but I didn't..

It just depends on where and when you watch TV. If you were traveling to the next Escapade it might belong in "Road to Escapade?"

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I'll come clean. I was holding out in my first response...

The secret to good connectivity, anywhere in the USA. Follow these steps:

1) Go to your local cable provider

2) Sign up for the plan that meets your needs

3) Hook your cable to their service, and before leaving, ensure the internal equipment is working well with it

4) Slowly pull away from the provider, as you reel out cable from you spool

---- Next: An Important Safety Tip ---

5) Convert the number of feet of cable on the reel to miles. Set our trip odometer to the number of miles of cable, minus a few, for contingency.

6) Stop short of running out of cable. And splice in a new reel for the next leg of the trip. 

Other Obvious Best Practices while traveling with Optimum Cable Connections:

> Avoid lane changes as much as possbible

> User 'break away' connections

> Be prepared for sign language from travelers around you

> Call a few days in advance, of technical problems, to allow travel time from your provider

And on a personal note, on behalf of my retirement traveling plans:

> If you buy any of the above. Please contact me for my Go Fund My Travel site info

> Do carry higher then normal Umbrella Insurance

> Understand that many motorists are upset with bicyclist that ride tandem or triple on some roadways. If your cable takes a few of them out with only road rashes - you gain a month's free cable coverage per cyclist

(And, the last comment was satisfying to write, but for sure in best, and politically in correct.  I know I personally really enjoy being caught on a narrow road where I'm to 'Share the Road' with no Roadway Tax Paying cyclist's, that in a very friendly way let me know that they have rights to block the roadways at 10, 20, 30MPH below the posted speed limit. And I know they know they're backing up many, when they wave an understanding signal finger salute to those who are behind me honking...) 

(OH wait!! To be clear, it is not OK to take out cyclist with the cable you are pulling behind you!). 

And yes, I admit. I'm starting out strong, to get my post count up to the next "K" milestone. So far behind Kirk, and other's - but I can dream to have 5K + posts in my future...:)!

Best to all, and sorry for my evening fun,

Smitty

(Was this 1002? Or 1003? Posts!!!)

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Archived