Nose Low Solutions

tyates007

We are winding down for the season and took our last trip this week. Over the winter I need to figure out a solution for my 5th wheel that is towing nose low. We purchased our solitude this June. My previous 2 5th wheels have towed level with my last being a Mobile Suites. With my solitude I adjustment is already out as far as the current pin box will allow. There is not much adjustment to begin with. Trailer currently has Lippert rotoflex pin. 

I build my bed so that my Trailersaver hutch sits basically flush in the beaver tail. I know I could raise my Trailersaver with tube under the hitch but I don’t really want to as I driver o we the hitch to load my vehicles right now. If I raise the hitch I’m going to ha e clearance issues. 

I could fabricate an extension on the current pin but have no idea what that will do to structural integrity of the pin, box or potentially frame. 

For reference I am thinking I need to raise front end a good 4-6”. I am assuming this new trailer is taller than my previous trailers, all much older, did to how y’all the bedsides have gotten on new trucks. Here is a photo. 

PotSqQfl.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

tom 

I agree with Ronbo, If you don't want to raise the hitch, you may have to extend the pin box down and/or mount trailer axles on top of springs if they are not already mounted that way. The axle/spring change could cause ground clearance issues, though.        Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Looking at the pictures, I don't think you would have to raise it as much as you noted, (4to6").  I would measure it at the front to the ground and then raise the trailer with the landing gear to level the trailer and then measure again.  My guess would be about 2 to 3" because when you raise the front the rear will lower as you get level.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Tom, I would get in touch with Jack and Marc, at http://rvhlifestyles.com/, to discuss with them.  Might be a fit for their drop down pin box? 

What is the highest you can have your deflated Trailersaver hitch head at giving you clearance for loading your vehicle?  You may want to add enough under there to bring it up, but 4 to 6 inches is a lot.

Yes, your nose is really low.  How are those front tires on the trailer holding up?  Lots of extra weight going there.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

3 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

Tom, I would get in touch with Jack and Marc, at http://rvhlifestyles.com/, to discuss with them.  Might be a fit for their drop down pin box? 

What is the highest you can have your deflated Trailersaver hitch head at giving you clearance for loading your vehicle?  You may want to add enough under there to bring it up, but 4 to 6 inches is a lot.

Yes, your nose is really low.  How are those front tires on the trailer holding up?  Lots of extra weight going there.

Thanks for the replies. I will check into a custom pin. I think I could raise my Trailersaver 2-3” and still be fine loading a Jeep or my sxs. That will probably be the easiest since we plan to keep this coach for the next 10 years until the girls are grown. I was also considering dropping the rotoflex pin and adding adjustment to that. 

5 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would raise the hitch the 2-3 inches available and then fab a pinbox to make up the rest.

Thanks Jim. That is my plan. Do you think if I just uses 3x3 1/4” wall tube, 1 on each side that I would be fine structurally?

Just now, tyates007 said:

Thanks Jim. That is my plan. Do you think if I just uses 3x3 1/4” wall tube, 1 on each side that I would be fine structurally?

My trailersaver is mounted on 4” tube.  I can’t remember what the wall thickness is though.  I built mine into a square with 45 degree angle cuts at each corner, all welded together.  This gives a little more for the hitch to sit on (front, back and sides) and it also keeps debris from building up inside the tubes.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Chad. I meant to look at yours before we left the WCR and I spaced it. Building a box is probably a better idea for support. I checked again tonight and 4” is max I can raise without modifying the deck. I think I will raise that much and then see how it sits. It will be very close when loading and unloading the sxs but I think it will clear. 

On 10/7/2018 at 10:39 PM, tyates007 said:

Thanks Chad. I meant to look at yours before we left the WCR and I spaced it. Building a box is probably a better idea for support. I checked again tonight and 4” is max I can raise without modifying the deck. I think I will raise that much and then see how it sits. It will be very close when loading and unloading the sxs but I think it will clear. 

If you have to, fix spacers for the SXS wheels to run on. That would raise you back up on that issue.

event.png

Archived