3 axle bumper pull RV recommendations

KWT660HDT

8 hours ago, KWT660HDT said:

Parrformance - is that a hydraulic tilt bed you have or do you use ramps to get the jeep up there?

My wife and I needed to stay within a budget, as we all do.  We chose to build the deck ourselves, and keep it functional and simple.

I spent around $600 on a set of 10 foot long aluminum ramps, that the car haulers use, installed some channels in the center of the deck to hold them. The ramps slide out on strips of starboard, and lock in place on the rear of the deck.

The Jeep can handle the angle so no need for a a tilt bed. I used PT lumber for the deck, and tie the Jeep down with wheel straps.

We have hauled around 7500 miles thus far, and planning a trip to Colorado/Utah next summer.

While I would love to have a custom built bed and I shift and a triple axle trailer, we prefer to spend that money on exploring this country.

The simpler you make everything the less challenges you may face.  I purchased the truck in January, Titled and tagged it in February, built the bed and hitch in the driveway and bought a TT for $9000, sold the goose-neck trailer and truck camper in May, loaded the Jeep on the deck, hitched the trailer up and headed out for a three week trip in early June. 

Spent less for the truck, deck, and the TT, then what we were planning to spend on a well used, new to us DRW pick-up.   

oeInbnTl.jpg

N517l68l.jpg

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

There's lots here for me to chew on... Having young kids kinda complicates things from the length perspective since everything needs to be longer to accommodate them. Next comes space for all the stuff we need to boondock 2-3 weeks at a time far from everything.

I've been running at 70' for a couple of years now and no issues yet. With what I have in mind here less than 75' seems downright impossible...

But the biggest design consideration is off road use and chains. I have some minimizer half fenders over each rear wheel now and I've popped off at least 4 support arm bolts off road going through some deep  ruts/holes.  Those fenders seemed like a good idea at the time but they are basically highway use only.

I figure I'm getting about 6" of  upwards wheel travel off road  so the deck has to be at least  8" above the tires and  having a low hanging sloped down tail to make it easy to get the vehicle up isn't going to work 

A wood deck like Parrformance that I can build at home sounds pretty good to me.

easier to access the driveline if something goes wrong 

2013 KW T660

485HP, 18 speed & locking tandems

2015 XLR 45' Toy-hauler

Some nice looking rigs, and some nice ideas to borrow from.  So with hearing Canada is 65' is good to know since when I hit the road was thinking about the Alaska highway, since I'm in northern Washington. Forgot to ask, but is the norm to go with pintle, or is it a mix?  Use pintle at work to tow air craft, so know it's proven to tow over 100k with no tongue weight.

I like the 2 5/16" ball hitch as the connection as it is more solid and quieter,  however, the highest rating for this size ball hitch is 30K lbs., but the highest rated trailer tongue connector is only 25K lbs. Therefore if you want a higher rating use the pintle, it is also a little easier to hookup to when backing up by yourself.  Just be ready for the slight movement clank noise on starts and stops if not using an Air Safe hitch.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

35 minutes ago, MoSKP9 said:

I like the 2 5/16" ball hitch as the connection as it is more solid and quieter,  however, the highest rating for this size ball hitch is 30K lbs., but the highest rated trailer tongue connector is only 25K lbs. Therefore if you want a higher rating use the pintle, it is also a little easier to hookup to when backing up by yourself.  Just be ready for the slight movement clank noise on starts and stops if not using an Air Safe hitch.

Would something like this air snubbed pintle hitch be helpful in this application?

http://www.safholland.us/us/en/products/coupling-products/pintle-hooks---heavy-duty/ph-550

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

1 hour ago, Buscrusher said:

Would something like this air snubbed pintle hitch be helpful in this application?

http://www.safholland.us/us/en/products/coupling-products/pintle-hooks---heavy-duty/ph-550

I would have to say YES. I never heard of this before and I wish I had known about it in my previous life of pulling heavy equipment trailers that had 30 ton pintle hooks on them. We had air brakes on our trucks so it would have worked if they were available back then. One more reason to read these posts,  I'm always learning about something new to me.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

On 9/11/2018 at 9:43 PM, KWT660HDT said:

Thanks guys for the great input.  Lots of nice rigs here. Digging the stretched Pete 359 with the roll back ramp looks like he's carrying 600 gallons of fuel that would be pretty sweet going to Alaska. 2-1/2 tons of fuel is great for smoothing out the ride...

MoSKP9 - I'd love to go to Hutchinson but I won't be able to make it there this year. From Calgary it's 20 hours driving one way to get there and October is bad for me.

lockmup68 - looks like you might be an inch or two over 65' lol . Have you run into any issues outside your home state? 

We have been in Alberta last two summers for a few weeks. If you are in Calgary, go visit Gregg in Delacourt. He can answer all of your questions and show you a number of rigs. 

Don't know about my home state, but last year's summer map, about 8,700 miles for this trip:

vkm2WJBl.jpg

Just got back from being gone since May. I think we did more miles this year and went further into the NW. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

• 4 weeks later...

Archived