Webasto cab heater

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about the Webasto cab heater. I found a video on line from Webasto showing how to use the heater. Here is my questions. How many people use their cab heater ? Do you start your cab heater once a month like Webasto suggest ? Does anyone know what the part number is for the fuel filter ? How often do you chance your fuel filter for your Webasto heater ?

Thank you for any input,
Al

Thank you for any input,
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Al I’ve been bad.  Haven’t changed mine in six years and for the first two I used to turn the heater on in November and turn it back off the beginning of April.  Sounds like a project for the ECR.  It looks like the filter number is Webasto 1319466A.  If I get near a dealer I’ll see if that is the number they use or if there is a cross  reference.  So for the little use you need I think 3 or 4 years would be more cost effective.  Also anytime it is cool and I’m taking the truck out I turn on the bunk heater before I start the truck.  That way the cab is toasty when I leave.  Heats the cab way quicker than the engine heat.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Well let's see. I bought my first AirTop 2000 in about 1993. Abused it on the 1990 IH 9700 for 4 years, no routine maintenance. Installed a brand new one on the 2000 Argosy. It lasted about 8 years, no maintenance, took it out because it refused to start citing low voltage codes. Service dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it. Put a new one in 2008, no maintenance, still running strong. I have never replaced the fuel filter, any typical lawn mower filter would probably do the job. Given I sleep in the truck about 250 nights a year, at least 1/3 of them the heater gets used. And when I use it it gets run for long periods of time and a fairly high setting. Lousy insulation in these cabovers. I have never run it in the off season. Nor replaced the fuel filters. 

The only problem I have ever had is failure to start low voltage codes. I solve that problem by starting the truck, starting the heater, then shutting down the truck. Will operate for the rest of the night no issues. An electrical engineer buddy of mine is convinced that the reason for the codes is because the extended wiring harness provided by Webasto for use in a cabovers only has enough of a voltage drop to cause the problem. And when I am really motivated I will increase the size of the wires to see if that solves the issue. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Does anyone have a link to a Webasto manual for a Volvo factory installed heater,  vintage 2008?

When we try to fire ours up, the fan starts and we get a beep and blinking light.  

We found on another forum, someone stated that the blinking light is a fault code, but we can’t find a manual anywhere online so far.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

Al I’ve been bad.  Haven’t changed mine in six years and for the first two I used to turn the heater on in November and turn it back off the beginning of April.  Sounds like a project for the ECR.  It looks like the filter number is Webasto 1319466A.  If I get near a dealer I’ll see if that is the number they use or if there is a cross  reference.  So for the little use you need I think 3 or 4 years would be more cost effective.  Also anytime it is cool and I’m taking the truck out I turn on the bunk heater before I start the truck.  That way the cab is toasty when I leave.  Heats the cab way quicker than the engine heat.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thank you for your input. When it bought my truck it had been serviced but I don't thing they changed the fuel filter for the cab heater. It will be great to see what you can find out from the dealer. Who knows, this could make for a project at the ECR.

See you in April,
Al 

Hi Everyone,

I did a Google search on the part number ( 1319466A ) that Nigel posted. I was surprised at the cost. $21 was the cheapest price I found. Is there anything special about this filter ? It just looks like a inline fuel filter that you can get for $5.

Al

17 hours ago, Nigel said:

Al my thoughts exactly.  That is why I plan on visiting a truck dealer and see what they use.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

It will be interesting to see what you find out. Thank you for your help.

Al

I change my filter every year if I remember (average is likely 18 months). They sure look like a regular cheap filter to me....but maybe not. I've not tried the cheap inline filters, but I see no reason they would not work. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

14 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I change my filter every year if I remember (average is likely 18 months). They sure look like a regular cheap filter to me....but maybe not. I've not tried the cheap inline filters, but I see no reason they would not work. 

Hi Jack,

Are you using the Webasto part # 1319466A ?

Al

Not sure...I just look it up and order it when I need one.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I use my cab heater a couple weeks in a year basically.

The filter I use is a small, Amazon available in-line 5/16" type.

Its not a paper element but a granulated brass type.

Works for me.

The wiring on mine needed changing after 10 years or so, it was a marginal guage, went with stranded #8 to the heater, runs much better.

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

11 hours ago, PSD_Tweaker said:

I use my cab heater a couple weeks in a year basically.

The filter I use is a small, Amazon available in-line 5/16" type.

Its not a paper element but a granulated brass type.

Works for me.

The wiring on mine needed changing after 10 years or so, it was a marginal guage, went with stranded #8 to the heater, runs much better.

Hi PSD,

I have a question. What is granulated brass type ? That is the first time I have heard that. Did not know there was some different types.

Thank you for any input,
Al

Google, also known as Sintered Brass. Very common on high pressure fuel systems, like diesel burners.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, Sculptor said:

I found this info very helpful.  Thanks folks!

This is a link to the shop manual but it's lengthy.   Webasto Shop Manual Air Top 2000STC

Hi Sculptor,

Thank you for posting the info. It could be a help.

Al

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2018 at 2:06 PM, beyerjf said:

Well let's see. I bought my first AirTop 2000 in about 1993. Abused it on the 1990 IH 9700 for 4 years, no routine maintenance. Installed a brand new one on the 2000 Argosy. It lasted about 8 years, no maintenance, took it out because it refused to start citing low voltage codes. Service dealer couldn't find anything wrong with it. Put a new one in 2008, no maintenance, still running strong. I have never replaced the fuel filter, any typical lawn mower filter would probably do the job. Given I sleep in the truck about 250 nights a year, at least 1/3 of them the heater gets used. And when I use it it gets run for long periods of time and a fairly high setting. Lousy insulation in these cabovers. I have never run it in the off season. Nor replaced the fuel filters. 

The only problem I have ever had is failure to start low voltage codes. I solve that problem by starting the truck, starting the heater, then shutting down the truck. Will operate for the rest of the night no issues. An electrical engineer buddy of mine is convinced that the reason for the codes is because the extended wiring harness provided by Webasto for use in a cabovers only has enough of a voltage drop to cause the problem. And when I am really motivated I will increase the size of the wires to see if that solves the issue. 

How do you install a webasto in an Argosy?  How do you run the fuel lines?

The filters are the same ones used on my China made heater that sells for $140, I love these heaters and use it in the basement of my RV when winter camping.  Has cut my propane cost in less than half.  Facebook has a group that shares information and good resource for fixes.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here