Fifth Wheel Rebuild

SuiteSuccess

Just now, forxlr8n said:

What part of VA?

Down in the Lynchburg area.  I'll likely be up to the factory in the Spring - I'll let you know when and you can show me the new truck. But then it should be a "super truck".  :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Sorry for the late reply - we were travelling East for the last 3 days and off the forum.  We will be in VA through the holidays but back in Parsons after that. I routinely go to Pittsburg for various reasons....I'll check out the steakhouse.

Jack,

Safe travels here are a list of places to try in Pittsburg:

Our Best is Jim's Steak House - 25.00 - 35.00 for a steak but you must get the onion rings, cut thin and hand dipped, not like something from Sonic.

1. Bob's Diner for breakfast - seats about 20 people eat at the bar only & watch your breakfast get cooked in front of you on a griddle.

2. Mall Deli for lunch - Great sandwiches

3. If you like Fried Chicken - Chick Annies, Bartos Idle Hour or Chicken Mary's. Hand dipped hand made, you must get the Italian Slaw and the Italian potato salad, it is the best.

4. To stock up your refrigerator go to Pallucca’s, it is in Frontenac (just next door to Pittsburg) and get the homemade Italian Sausage, it is to die for. This place is a hole in the wall but they get great Lunch meat. All of the Salami's are top of the line. It is a bunch of great Italian people who are proud of what they do.

5. While in Frontenac two blocks from Pallucca’s is the bakery, go get fresh Frontenac hard crust bread. If you go and eat at the chicken houses or Jim's steak house the bread you eat will be from Frontenac Bakery.

6. If you want to stock your truck up with steak two places to go Beck and Hill on Broadway not to far from where you turned to go get your work done, or Ron's IGA, yes it is a grocery store but the meat they get there is top of the line. I used to cut meat there. My grandpa trained their butcher. Ask for Charlie, he will pick out good meat for you. They also make homemade Italian sausage there, it is my grandpa's recipe also to die for, but do not get lunch meat there. Not as good as Pallucca’s. 

7. Do you have a sweet tooth? If you are on South Broadway, across from Taco Bell and next to Jimmy John's is Daylight Donuts. This is a home town donuts shop. All donuts are made from scratch in the shop each day, left over donuts after about 10:30 a.m. are donated to help feed the less fortunate, but they do not have many left over.

8. If you never got to eat at 1106 that is a shame, it was a hamburger drive in right next to Daylight donuts. You could see your order through the bag due to the grease from the Susie Q's, Fried onions and that which dripped off of your toasted bun.

Later

Vegas Teacher - Cory O

Several years ago I was working on a gas powered Power plant in Bear Creek. We stayed in Appomattox. It is a trailer and rv park combined. Nice hosts. Not real big rig friendly though. We had the DRV back then. Found the local folks there very stand offish though. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 12/14/2017 at 12:56 PM, sdixon747 said:

I have a voice activated, organic dish washer. Works great!

excellent! You must be on a different conentient as usual.

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

20 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

Down in the Lynchburg area.  I'll likely be up to the factory in the Spring - I'll let you know when and you can show me the new truck. But then it should be a "super truck".  :)

My race car was built in Bedford up near Peaks of Otter. 

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

I've been VERY happy with the work I had done at ProCustomInc in Elkhart, IN. I've seen some of the total gut and rebuild jobs they've done; they're impressive (you don't have to do a total rebuild, PCI just has the ability and skills to take it that far for customers so inclined). Last year, PCI was offering a discount (~ 10% I think) on work done in Jan/Feb. PCI has expanded several times so, they must be doing something right. In the Elkhart, IN area in general, there are several customizers who, if you have the $$$$, they have the skills and know how. I was able to sleep in my Super-C at night so, didn't incur any lodging costs. You can also drop off your rig and pick it up after it's finished. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Procustominc&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS694US695&oq=Procustominc&aqs=chrome..69i57.5711j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Archived