Fifth Wheel Rebuild

SuiteSuccess

3 hours ago, sdixon747 said:

I have a voice activated, organic dish washer. Works great!

Instead of electricity, runs on red wine, right?

3 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

We have a 4 legged dishwasher.... usually does a good job if the dinner was good.

I have a 4-legged dinner guest.  If the Fisher-Paykel dishwasher quits, it's a 2-legged being that deals with leftovers and scraps.

4 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Dish washer is definitely a personal preference thing.  We have one in our new DRV and now wouldn't be without one.  It makes my job much easier after dinner.  ;)

I'm closing in on 300 loads with mine, in just about 2.5 years.  Had I known how much I would have liked it, and how much I throw in it, I wouldn't have put in the big sink with the kitchen remodel.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot one more update.  Need to add level-up system either Big Foot or Lipperts.  I have four hydraulic legs already.  I assume they could just add two more and tie in to my existing legs?  One better than other?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Forgot one more update.  Need to add level-up system either Big Foot or Lipperts.  I have four hydraulic legs already.  I assume they could just add two more and tie in to my existing legs?  One better than other?

I just put on the bigfoot system, We had 4 hydraulic levelers. No comaparison. Take off the 4 hydraulic levelers and put on a bigfoot system. They will treat you right. I know several folks who have the lippert system and they spend a lot of time in IN for repairs. I stayed away from them due to the aluminum cylinders. Bigfoots are all metal and a seperate pump per jack. Can lift the whole trailer off the ground, and our Teton is heavy. I drove up from Nashville, spent the night in their yard plugged in, they installed next day. 

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

8 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Roger,

Do you live close to there. I am from Pittsburg Kansas, that is not far from Chanute.

I was in Pittsburg yesterday, getting our trailer aligned.....Holland Alignment. Highly recommended for Mor/Ryde alignment.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

14 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Carl I have the Bigfoot and have not had any problems at all. And it will definitely pick up the entire rig.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi Carl,

I have the Big Foot System myself. The system has helped with trailer maintenance because it will lift the trailer off the ground. There is no way that I want a hydraulic system that uses aluminum. It needs to be made with steel. That is just my opinion. 

Best of luck shopping,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Brad and Al,

I see from Big Foot's website price is the same if they install it or ship it to you.  Is this something I could install myself with a little help from my SIL or just go to the factory?  Are yours bolted of welded on?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Kansas RV Center X2.  Mike Mitchell, the owner, is one of the most honest fairest folks I know. They have done work for me in the past and if I had a major problem I couldn't fix myself I would drag from Arizona to Kansas to have them do the work.  After they closed Hitch Hiker they went into the renovation and repair business with the technicians that built the Hitch Hikers.

Suitcase,  we had Big Foot on our Hitch Hiker and the mount is welded on and the unit bolted to the mount.  The thing I liked most about Big Foot is that it is a self contained unit.  Pump, reservoir all at each ram.  Only 12v run to each pump not a lot of hydraulic lines,  If you have a problem with a particular ram you don't have to trouble shoot an entire system of lines and pump.

Interesting topic. We are modernising our Teton. The Big Foot leveling system is on the agenda but dead last in propriety. Disc brake first, ac upgrade/mini split, solar, then Big Foot. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Interesting topic. We are modernising our Teton. The Big Foot leveling system is on the agenda but dead last in propriety. Disc brake first, ac upgrade/mini split, solar, then Big Foot. 

Pretty much our agenda also Glenn except solar. Big Foot depends on budget left over. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

I question I/S. Love the concept but not a lot of them in use and seeing problems with them. Rubber spring failures, alignment. We never had an axle failure. Know they happen but very low percentage

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

35 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I question I/S. Love the concept but not a lot of them in use and seeing problems with them. Rubber spring failures, alignment. We never had an axle failure. Know they happen but very low percentage

Just know in the many years we’ve owned this trailer haven’t had a problem.  If I bought new I would do I/S again.  Everything’s always a personal preference-  Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge.  I do know if I change to disks, I’m not doing NevRLube bearings.  Going with just standard bearings I can buy at any auto parts store.  I’ll repack yearly.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

15 hours ago, Jack Mayer said:

I was in Pittsburg yesterday, getting our trailer aligned.....Holland Alignment. Highly recommended for Mor/Ryde alignment.

Are you still in the area? Those are my people as I am related to about 1/2 of Crawford County. Big Italian family. I am not trying to hijack a post sorry. Anyway please shoot me a text at 702-672-7990 if you are, I can give you some great places to eat and go to. You must go to John's Sport Center on Broadway then eat at Jim's Steak house. I have so many more but please let me know if you are still in town.

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Brad and Al,

I see from Big Foot's website price is the same if they install it or ship it to you.  Is this something I could install myself with a little help from my SIL or just go to the factory?  Are yours bolted of welded on?

Carl, It was worth the drive up to have them install it. Weld on brackets and bolt to the brackets. It was a 7 hour drive from Nashville. They will have you done in a day. 

We just did the remodel on the Teton before moving in. (interior wall paint, cabinets sanded and painted, floors, appliances, fixtures, etc.) In addition to the mini-split and Fisher Paykel dishwasher, I highly recommend getting rid of all carpet. So easy to keep clean. I do wish I would have done radiant heating under the floor. Would have been an incremental spend. Since all the floor is floating, I may pull it up in sections and install down the line. Step Warmfloor seems to be the ticket. https://www.proudgreenhome.com/articles/radiant-floor-heating-for-rvs-and-travel-trailers-makes-camping-more-comfortable/

Also, I would consider residential refrigerator and if you are doing the winter thing, the Cheap Heat system looks nice. The guys at RVs for Less in Knoxville are a dealer. And if you don't already have one, Truma tankless water heater is awesome. (RVs for Less installed ours.)

The other thing to consider is 17.5 inch wheels and tires. 

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Shannon,

Already have 17.5 wheels and MorRyde IS.  Want disks. Tired of adjusting drum brakes.  Thanks for the help. BTW spoke to Bigfoot today. They said one day install as you said. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl, you are considering what Alie and I had planned on the Carrilite.  Except we already had the dishwasher.  Since it was our home, we considered upgrading what was paid, instead of a payment on a new unit.  (we ended up with a payment anyway.....)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

On 12/15/2017 at 2:06 PM, Vegas Teacher said:

Are you still in the area? Those are my people as I am related to about 1/2 of Crawford County. Big Italian family. I am not trying to hijack a post sorry. Anyway please shoot me a text at 702-672-7990 if you are, I can give you some great places to eat and go to. You must go to John's Sport Center on Broadway then eat at Jim's Steak house. I have so many more but please let me know if you are still in town.

Sorry for the late reply - we were travelling East for the last 3 days and off the forum.  We will be in VA through the holidays but back in Parsons after that. I routinely go to Pittsburg for various reasons....I'll check out the steakhouse.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

7 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Sorry for the late reply - we were travelling East for the last 3 days and off the forum.  We will be in VA through the holidays but back in Parsons after that. I routinely go to Pittsburg for various reasons....I'll check out the steakhouse.

What part of VA?

"If you can not measure it, you can not improve it."

Lord Kelvin

Archived