Fifth Wheel Rebuild

SuiteSuccess

Wife and I have been struggling this past year with our decisions going forward in our RVing adventures.  We have explored selling HDT and fiver and going to Motorhome from diesel pushers to those powered with a MDT, or buying new or newer 5er.  After much hand wringing we have decided we are really satisfied with our present setup.  Our conclusion is that our 2005 Mobile Suites has had very little problems, has a good substructure,  and with a small to moderate $$$ infusion could be made even better.  Here is a list of the improvements I feel need done: 1.  Need new a/c-heat pump in living area  2.  Convert current MorRyde IS to disk brakes and update to DirecLink controller.  3.  May need roof redone or coated (roof armor).  4.  Black tank sprayer/cleaner plugged and not usable. 5.  Wife wants dishwasher.

Now the questions.  Obviously MorRyde is best for hub/brake conversion.  Where would you go as a one stop shop for the other problems (looking for specific businesses to compare quality and costs)?  Do you think my cost estimates are close?  1. $1500-1700 installed. 2. $2500-3000 3. $6000-7000 4. $500-1200 if back tank needs replacing 5.  $1200. Total: ~$12-15,000.  Any real hand experience of costs with any of above?

Finally I realize these upgrades are not going to be recouped at trade-in or sale, but a new trailer would lose far more value in just a few years if purchased.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't help you with the pricing but I have  few places to recommend for the rest of it. We have been very satisfied with D & R in Glendale AZ. They put you under an awning and have electric for you. We have also used West in Livingston, TX. Not sure if they have hookups for an overnight. Happy with their work also. Both places scheduled an appt and took us on time and went right to work. One thing to be aware of  is that not all places work on black tanks just like not all places work on propane.

If you decided on D&R make sure you look at a map. The GPS really messed us up. West is just north of  Escapee Hqs. Both are easy in and out.

I would not recommend MasterTech in Elkhart. They seem to blow hot and cold. We had work done by them, very happy, next time they wouldn't even acknowledge multiple emails.

I highly recommend Kansas RV center in Chanute, Ks.

I had my gray and black tank valves repaired, they talked me out of using the electric setup I got, and I must say after 4 months of use full time they work just like they did when I left the factory, I also had them replace the return air grills to accept a cartrage filter, nice install, cleaned up after themselves, and it's a pleasure to replace the filters now.

You would have to hotel it or head home but still I am very impressed with the service work they performed.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

I would recommend Rolling Retreats in Elk City Oklahoma for the work you are considering.  They can do everything except the direct link controller.  They can do a new rubber roof, but I don't think they do the RV Armor style roof.  Slade and his team do top notch work (as good or better than the factory) and they do nothing but DRV's.  I can't say what the pricing would be, but send Slade an email to get an idea (or if you would like I can provide his cell phone number to you).  His email is listed on their website.  You can stay on their lot while work is being done.  They will move the trailer in and out of the shop each day.  You do need to schedule an appointment to have the work done (as I would expect would be true at any repair facility capable of this type of work).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Carl,

Not sure if you've picked out the exact model of dishwasher you want, but if I presume you're looking at Fisher Paykel drawer models, know that there are two heights, and a couple of different control panel setups.  The "tall" models have a "T" in the part number, and I'm definitely glad I went that route.  If you go for the ones with the exposed controls (with the display visible when the drawer is closed), they have a locking feature that's kind of an Easter egg, in that it isn't in the normal owners' manual.  If you hold the lock button through 3 beeps, it will lock the drawer closed and keep it locked while power is off--just want you're after for travel.  (Fair warning though--it automatically unlocks when power is reapplied.  It means you never manually unlock, but may inadvertently unlock if you turn power on one last time...)

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Carl,

This isn't what you specifically asked, but you might consider going to a BluDot system, since you're doing an upgrade anyway.  It might be cheaper in the long run.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Kansas RV Center X2.  Mike Mitchell, the owner, is one of the most honest fairest folks I know. They have done work for me in the past and if I had a major problem I couldn't fix myself I would drag from Arizona to Kansas to have them do the work.  After they closed Hitch Hiker they went into the renovation and repair business with the technicians that built the Hitch Hikers.

Thanks to everyone.  David thanks for the dishwasher info.  Have never been to Az with the camper so that might be a good trip.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

23 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Carl,

This isn't what you specifically asked, but you might consider going to a BluDot system, since you're doing an upgrade anyway.  It might be cheaper in the long run.

Rick,

I’m still weighing BlueDot vs DirecLink.  Advantages to each.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Regarding the roof.....I had RV Armor coat our 37' fifth wheel (and the 4 slides @ $100 per slide) for a total of $4500 two years ago.  Its a lifetime warranty and no more caulking so no need to get on the roof anymore.  They will come to you to do the work and their warranty service is excellent.  They no longer coat slide roofs.  Your estimate of $6K to $7K is too high.

We have used Kansas RV Center (formerly NuWa) for all our service and upgrade work over the years and are pleased.  They have been selling DRV so are familiar with their service too.

We had the same dilemma a few years ago and also decided to upgrade our HitchHiker as it is a solid unit and we liked it.  We are very happy with that decision rather than getting a new RV.  Greg   

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/blog/why-you-should-buy-your-next-rv-from-kansas-rv-center/

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Carl,  in Lagrange IN about 15 min from DRV in Howe is Interstate RV repairs. Paul and Kay Cross. 

Paul used to be at DRV in the early days as Service manager. 

They work on DRVs exclusively and also warranty auth. 

He does all the mods you are looking at.  Its where George had his 05 38RL3 redone. I forget George’s handle here but he had his truck built in TN by Pipe. You may remember all the posts and pics on the remodel  

One of the mods he does a lot of is the new style dining table/wall storage like in latest model units  

They do good work and are reasonable  

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

4 minutes ago, billr said:

Carl,  in Lagrange IN about 15 min from DRV in Howe is Interstate RV repairs. Paul and Kay Cross. 

Paul used to be at DRV in the early days as Service manager. 

They work on DRVs exclusively and also warranty auth. 

He does all the mods you are looking at.  Its where George had his 05 38RL3 redone. I forget George’s handle here but he had his truck built in TN by Pipe. You may remember all the posts and pics on the remodel  

One of the mods he does a lot of is the new style dining table/wall storage like in latest model units  

They do good work and are reasonable  

Bill,

Paul had modified our unit prior to us buying it used.  He does good work.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Carl I can't see the need to replace the black tank if it is just the flush that is plugged. Probably can just replace the flusher.

I have also had lots of work done at Chanute, KS with good results.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Carl her name escapes me but remember 'Quin the eskimo '?  his wife gave some of us a tour through their trailer at the last ECR they attended ,she mentioned a dishwasher was off the list on the next trailer ,got the impression it was a waste of space?

It was a fisher paykel,

each to his own I guess but if Donna wants I would try and get it for her.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

35 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

Carl her name escapes me but remember 'Quin the eskimo '?

Gayle and Bonnie Quinn.  Nice folks.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

38 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

Carl her name escapes me but remember 'Quin the eskimo '?  his wife gave some of us a tour through their trailer at the last ECR they attended ,she mentioned a dishwasher was off the list on the next trailer ,got the impression it was a waste of space?

It was a fisher paykel,

Dish washer is definitely a personal preference thing.  We have one in our new DRV and now wouldn't be without one.  It makes my job much easier after dinner.  ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

41 minutes ago, hone eagle said:

It was a fisher paykel,

Hi Ralph,

When it comes to dish washers, I thought Donna had one of those high end portable units. I believe the model was a one off unit. The model number escapes me right now.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

9 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Ralph,

When it comes to dish washers, I thought Donna had one of those high end portable units. I believe the model was a one off unit. The model number escapes me right now.

Al

Low end unit.  Starting to break down.:P

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

23 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I highly recommend Kansas RV center in Chanute, Ks.

I had my gray and black tank valves repaired, they talked me out of using the electric setup I got, and I must say after 4 months of use full time they work just like they did when I left the factory, I also had them replace the return air grills to accept a cartrage filter, nice install, cleaned up after themselves, and it's a pleasure to replace the filters now.

You would have to hotel it or head home but still I am very impressed with the service work they performed.

Roger

Roger,

Do you live close to there. I am from Pittsburg Kansas, that is not far from Chanute.

2 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Low end unit.  Starting to break down.:P

Then get her another ,its like the washer /dryer threads ,guys pipe up "useless' or  "waste of space"  I always wonder if the DW read what hubby posted............ :ph34r:

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Some of us "older models", have the dish pan hands to prove that we're too cheap to buy our brides a dishwasher.

Actually, we have one in the house, but not the camper.  I don't mind doing dishes, as long as the food was good.  Besides, it promotes "quality time".

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I would seriously consider switching over to mini split system. We just have one 12k unit now. So we have to supplement with the remaining Dometic in hot weather. It is so quiet with the mini split and so noisy with the Dometic. It is day and night difference. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Archived