Qwimby1

Flying Js and other truck stops

30 posts in this topic

We never stay at truck stops - reason.  I have a son and 2 brothers that are truck drivers.  I want them to be able to park for the night and have showers, food, bathrooms, laundry or whatever available to them that they need.  I do not want them parked on the side of the road because they couldn't find a place to park.    They do not have a tow vehicle that would enable them to go get a bite to eat someplace etc.  They MUST stop.  I have time to find a suitable campsite .  As far as Walmart parking - we have done that a few times.  Was never told no and we stayed in small town locations where it was quiet.  Wouldn't want to stay in any of the big cities parking lots.  Usually in a campground - we use Passport America a lot and can stay inexpensively and most times have full-hookups.  If not there, then we look for a Corp of Engineer park and use our senior discount .

We do use FJ/Pilot for fueling and rest stops. They are plentiful and usually Rv  friendly. We also have the RV plus card for fuel savings. Truckers are out there conducting business so we do not interfere with that.

We do not overnight at truck stops , wall mart or any other business  rest area etc, our choice. We are in a CG by 4 or 5PM and we use the facilities in our RV.

20 hours ago, 4905 doc said:

X-2

In most cases you can thank the CG associations for pushing us out of private parking lots in an effort to force us to do business with them.  Several years ago they launched an effort against Wal-Mart throughout Florida.  They lobbied local governments using an obscure state ordnance which requires that there be a dump station anytime more than four vehicles are parked in a lot.  One Wal-Mart manager told me that his local mayor threatened to throw him in jail.  They managed to wipe out parking at most Wal-Marts all along route 441 which runs the length of the state.  CGs are OK sometimes for extended stays, but when traveling I always considered it a sign of weakness to pay an RV Park to sleep in my own bed.  In fact I only did it once in six years when my generator was out and I couldn't get air conditioning.

Going cross country, we have stayed at Wal-Mart's, rest areas and truck stops. We always sleep in the truck, stay in the truck section and haven't been hassled by anyone so far. It probably helps that we have a KW as a tow vehicle and a large fiver but so far, all we get are the usual questions about our rig.

Thanks for your personal responses. I was just sharing mine! Every reference I mentioned was things that I had observed in my many years of travel. Am I the only one who has seen this "wonderful" RV behavior?

Safe Travels!