Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Our Insurer, Blue Sky, just ceased to insure RV's.  I have one quote from a broker for National General Insurance.  Who else insures Full Timers.  Our present broker told us the following major companies Don't insure FT, (we're in Colorado as our legal residence)  Progressive, Safeco  American Modern, Travelers, Nationwide, Hartford, and Central.  Alternatively, does anyone have a good insurance broker that would work for Colorado FT coverage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on what I've read here over the years Progressive and Foremost are the most popular with fulltimers. We've had both but had to cancel Progressive when we read the fine print that said you must have at least one other vehicle and we didn't.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a couple of caveats:

First insuring RVs or providing RV insurance for full time travelers may not be sufficient.  You need to understand the exact coverage.  We found that out the hard way when we bought what an independent RV insurance agent recommended.  We encountered a common limitation.  Homeowners insurance typically covers theft including theft while traveling.  To prevent double charging that coverage is often eliminated or greatly curtailed.

Second, Insurance companies often do not provide the same policies nationally. 

Finally if you are looking for additional recommendations, you might check National Interstate.  It provided us with suitable full timers insurance when we had South Dakota residency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggest that you contact one of these agencies who specialize in RV insurance coverage. All of them are agencies with good reputations in the Escapee community.

Miller Insurance            AIS Insurance           Explorer Insurance           

RV Advantage               Foremost Ins.             

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been full-timing for 10 years and Farm & City Insurance in Forest City IA. has been stellar and have always had great customer service. In our 10 years we've had several claims. Road side is included for only a few dollars and also have had several claims. I've been pleased. Cover HDT, 5th wheel and Smart all at very competitive prices. 

Kent

Edited by kfrimr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just went through Miller insurance and got a policy from National General.  I was very pleased with the knowledge of the people at Miller.  They specialize in RV insurance and I would definitely recommend giving them a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Stripe34 said:

Miller insurance specializes in RVs, found us a good rate through National General.

Miller is excellent to work with and treated me well.

I was with Foremost until I purchased a different tow vehicle. I upgraded from a Class 3 pickup to a Class 5 Freightliner and Foremost no longer wrote policies for bigger trucks. Then I was insured by BlueSky and you know that story.

Clay a Texas Escapee #116305

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe I am the one who had an issue with Progressive.  Sure they insure full timers, but the coverage was not what we wanted.  There was a major limitation on coverage of personal property.  It seems that is typically covered by home owners insurance.  Overall personal property coverage for the RV insurance was very minimal and Progressive did not offer riders for major items such as camera gear.  Again, I will caution that coverage provided by different insurers is NOT necessarily standardized across the country. 

You might also find that you need an umbrella policy.  You might find that one insurer can provide both or you might be better off with policies from different companies.

You might be able to sort through the choices working with a good independent insurance agent....or not.  Turns out our agent specialized in RV insurance but did not really understand the fine print differences between policies and insurance companies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all of your input.  I ended up insuring through FCIS (RVAdvantage.com) brokerage, and using Nationwide Insurance.  Their rates came in a bit lower than National General, and Nationwide has better reviews on the insurance company review site I used.

Some of you may be interested in this insurance company review site.  They review almost all the major companies in some detail on various aspects - Financial stability, Claims handling, Customer feedback, etc.  the site is https://www.expertinsurancereviews.com/insurance-reviews/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we also are domiciled in Colorado....we have done research and Foremost insures FTimers. You can call 719-784-3434 ask for Molly...tell her you were referred by Kelly and Julie. Good Luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, we were just informed that National Interstate will no longer be writing RV policies in TX effective 8/2/2017.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have our full-timer rv policy with Progressive and they do offer additional coverages for personal property or specified items.  May not be the same in all states however.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have our policy through State Farm Insurance.  Ive been using them since I purchased my first car 25 years ago.  They had no issues insuring my RV and even combined in a personal loss policy to cover all the contents in case of total loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eric, State Farm does not insure fulltimers.  Now, if you have a house or some other residence (some people have rented a room in their kids home to get renters insurance), then you can get insurance on your RV, etc., but if you don't, just have the RV rig, they will not cover you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barbaraok said:

State Farm does not insure fulltimers.

Unless it is something new, they also do not write an RV policy that has a fulltimer clause to add needed coverages for those who do not have a house or rental policy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 5:20 PM, LFDR3116 said:

We have our full-timer rv policy with Progressive and they do offer additional coverages for personal property or specified items.  May not be the same in all states however.

I also have Progressive (in NC) for Full-time (no brick & stick) and my agent upgraded the amounts covered (over the NADA value) based on my modernizing a '98 Fleetwood Flair. I also have a Honda Accord toad covered, so I get the multiple discount. I pay yearly premium and that saves even more $ compared to monthly payments. Just my 2¢!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/30/2017 at 5:20 PM, Barbaraok said:

Eric, State Farm does not insure fulltimers.  Now, if you have a house or some other residence (some people have rented a room in their kids home to get renters insurance), then you can get insurance on your RV, etc., but if you don't, just have the RV rig, they will not cover you. 

 

On 6/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, Kirk Wood said:

Unless it is something new, they also do not write an RV policy that has a fulltimer clause to add needed coverages for those who do not have a house or rental policy. 

This is what we have done, we have a "rental space" which is a family members house where our mail goes.  While you are correct, State Farm does not offer insurance if you list your RV as your primary and only residence they do insure your RV and there is no limit on your length of stay or amount of time spent in RV.  The burden of proof lies in defining full time vs very extensive use and "long vacations".  

State Farm does offer separate policies to cover the contents of your RV.  Maybe my insurance agent is more clever than some?  Maybe she found a loophole.  She is aware of our situation and tailored our policies to fit our needs.  We don't claim to be full time and I'm sure that's where we slide under the radar.  In her own words "Never say the words "Full Time" or "Primary Residence...you guys just travel a lot ;)

We were advised to make a detailed list and I even included pictures of our personal belongings so in the case of total loss we had proof aside from receipts of ownership.  I keep this info in a fire safe and on USB drives, backups to backups.  

Edited by Eric A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Eric A. said:

 

This is what we have done, we have a "rental space" which is a family members house where our mail goes.  While you are correct, State Farm does not offer insurance if you list your RV as your primary and only residence they do insure your RV and there is no limit on your length of stay or amount of time spent in RV.  The burden of proof lies in defining full time vs very extensive use and "long vacations".  

State Farm does offer separate policies to cover the contents of your RV.  Maybe my insurance agent is more clever than some?  Maybe she found a loophole.  She is aware of our situation and tailored our policies to fit our needs.  We don't claim to be full time and I'm sure that's where we slide under the radar.  In her own words "Never say the words "Full Time" or "Primary Residence...you guys just travel a lot ;)

We were advised to make a detailed list and I even included pictures of our personal belongings so in the case of total loss we had proof aside from receipts of ownership.  I keep this info in a fire safe and on USB drives, backups to backups.  

This is a public forum. If State Farm see this thread they will deny any claims you make no matter how many premiums you have paid. IMO, your agent's advice was not good advice.

Linda Sand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sandsys said:

This is a public forum. If State Farm see this thread they will deny any claims you make no matter how many premiums you have paid. IMO, your agent's advice was not good advice.

Linda Sand

Who am I? I'm a random person from an unknown town with no personal info registered on this forum.  I appreciate your advice but the fear of State Farm reading this thread, hiring a lawyer to investigate my case and track my IP address to figure out who I am doesn't keep me up at night.  My coverage is peanuts to the billions they bring in including my business on multiple policies over many many years.  I think they have bigger things to worry about than me and my little RV on this forum :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eric A. said:

Who am I? I'm a random person from an unknown town with no personal info registered on this forum.  

You clearly have every right to do whatever you choose, but those of us who have extensive experience will continue to advise others based upon experience, both our own and that of many others that we have known. If you do as advised, ask your agent to put his advice into writing, then sign the document with his insurance license number. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Kirk Wood said:

You clearly have every right to do whatever you choose, but those of us who have extensive experience will continue to advise others based upon experience, both our own and that of many others that we have known. If you do as advised, ask your agent to put his advice into writing, then sign the document with his insurance license number. 

I agree with Mr K.  Any agent that would recommend something of that nature shouldn't be in business.  Bottom line folks is do what's right and you will benefit in the long run. :blink: 

Quote

 

 

Edited by jc2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×