If you are in Texas - HDT's are not welcome at Buc-ees

Big5er

So... I didn't really think about this thread until I was pulling into a parking spot at Baytown Bucees Saturday morning in Big Ugly. As I was climbing out of the truck I saw two men in white shirts heading straight for me. (Kinda nice to feel special!!!) I looked around to be sure the weren't pissy with somone behind me. No such luck, they quickly reminded me that "18 Wheelers" weren't allowed. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to point out that I not only had 10 wheels, that I was not Commercial and the golf cart on the bed definitely should have clued them in to my being a Motorhome. LOL Anywho, my kids had a special request in for Beaver nuggets so I talked my way out of it and retrieved those and promptly left. And I was going to top off my tanks with 100 gallons or so. Oh well. Long story short, I took the time to try and educate them about HDT's and they said that I should send an email to Bucees.com to help enlighten corporate. LOL!!!!! Yeah right.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, you didn't even stop and say "hi". I'm only about 5 miles from that Bucees.

And as far as sending an email to corporate, been there and done that. The only reply I ever got was "RV are always welcome"...yeah right. Obviously not our RV's.

Publication1_zpsasncackf.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Hey, I'm usually up by 6 or so :) and you are usually safe on I-10 through here on the weekends :ph34r:

Sent Bucee's another email (with a link to this thread - 5000+ views LOL) and received their canned answer: "RV's are always welcome".....

If we are so welcome then why do their managers keep running us off? Talk about piss poor management.

2014 smart Fortwo

The crappy part of all of this is that I actually like stopping at Bucees when we are travelling and we have one in our hometown as well. Kinda hard to swear them off... But, I just may have to. I will be sure to keep an eye out for you the next time I am heading through there on a weekday. We have a place in Crystal Beach and I take I-10 when I am going down straight from the FD.

I also enjoyed Bucees...or at least I used to. Since I work in the area I used to stop there frequently and as I said originally, it was a designated stop in my travels. But after the way I was treated in Baytown, the stories others have posted here and the total lack of understanding or response from "corporate" I don't go there at all. I mention Bucees lack of customer service to everyone that even mentions the name in my presence and know of several that people that I have influenced.

2014 smart Fortwo

I also enjoyed Bucees...or at least I used to. Since I work in the area I used to stop there frequently and as I said originally, it was a designated stop in my travels. But after the way I was treated in Baytown, the stories others have posted here and the total lack of understanding or response from "corporate" I don't go there at all. I mention Bucees lack of customer service to everyone that even mentions the name in my presence and know of several that people that I have influenced.

Would there be any "out of service" stickers appearing on any of their corporate vehicles?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well, I actually got a reply from the anonymous web responder at Bucees asking for a picture. I sent them several. Maybe we shall see what the "corporate" policy really is. I shall keep you all informed.

2014 smart Fortwo

I just don't see the issue here. They have a business and can choose to not sell to these types of vehicles if they choose to. Can you imagine your business inundated with customers that don't cater to your business model?

Their business is catering to the high margin customers as mentioned. If other "Drivers" see the HDT's at the pumps and start pulling in to fuel, it interrupts their business model! If they don't want you there move on!

In the big scheme of things, the extra $20-40 in fuel saving isn't worth the aggravation! Take your money and go to another station.

My understanding was that it was not about fuel. I believe they ran BillB and a friend off for just parking in their lot.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Well,

I sent a long email yesterday with links to this thread as well. I did receive a response back at 5:31am saying "Yes Rv’s are very welcome" so I responded again thanking them and that I hope that the staff at each bucees will agree.

I have emails on my phone and will take it with me.. Wifey wants me to go ahead in the smart car and show it to the manager first.. The kids have been wanting to go but haven't been able to since we would need the HDT.

If the location don't agree, I will get the name of the person who refuses and contact Buc-ees again. They are loosing out a lot of business due to miscommunication between staff and head office.

I am also going to send him a picture of our setup.

Jason

2006 Volvo 670 singled long

2011 Heartland Sundance 3300CK

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

Jason, "RV's are welcome" seems to be the canned, standard response. I have not heard back from them since I sent the pictures they requested. I'm betting they don't reply...again. Customer service doesn't seem to be their best feature.

2014 smart Fortwo

Well, I was driving by the New Braunfels Bucees today with the smart car so I stopped in and asked for the manager, A leader came up and explained him what I wanted, He called for a store manager. A younger guy came out and soon as I showed him the email and the truck picture, he said "No", but soon as I said it was an RV and that it was singled axle, He said "Yes, no problem". I explained about these threads and he said him and the other manager actually was discussing this recently after another truck pulled in. They said they have no problem with them at the New Braunfels one as long as this one requirement is made.... It needs to show RV somewhere on the outside, He said we may still be approached but as long as they see the words RV they will be happy. He said the HDT is no different then a dump truck as far as layout (I am guessing they are allowed). He also said they have no problem fueling up either. He said the New Braunfels was their biggest location and we are welcome there if it shows RV on it.

So next one you pull into, tell them they are allowed in New Braunfels if they show RV on the side somewhere....

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

• 4 weeks later...

Well, 

I went to the new Braunfels location.  Was followed by a guy while I was looking for a empty pump.  He told me that I wasn't allowed and had to leave.  Informed him I was allowed by the owner and assistant manager.  He called the manager who came out with another lead.  He said that I can't be there.  Showed him the  Email from the head office and also what his assistant manager said.  He looked and soon as he saw a flatbed he said that we were allowed. 

I was approached 2 times afterwards lol.  Had a quick chat with the manager and lead afterwards and they said a few Bucees do have HDT parking and they see a good few here during rodeo times.  The lead asked why I didn't come in with the car on it as she would have liked to see the setup. 

But it was a costly stop,  I put 150 fuel in it and the wife spent 130 in store while I was pumping the fuel...... 

2006 Smart passion

2001 F350 DRW CREWCAB

I have to say that when I first read this thread I was wondering what could be so different about the place, other than the cheaper fuel.

When we went by the Baytown store recently on the trip from Florida, I have to say that I was impressed, that place is huge for a NON-Truck Stop!!  

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

• 2 weeks later...

Here is another place! The Slovaceks off I 35 in the town of West. They have set up the entrances and parking lot as so not even a RV can get into it, they are putting in a bunch of new pumps and have allowed only about 35' in front of them for turning. The lay out of the whole store which has some really good home made food was done to keep RV travelers out unless you have a small TT. I made it in no tailing the other day and they didn't make me leave but man did I get some ugly stares. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, BlueLghtning said:

So it looks like Buc-ee's is headed to FL with their first store out of TX. - https://www.ksat.com/news/buc-ees-to-open-first-ever-store-outside-of-texas?cid=facebook_KSAT_12_&_KSAT.com

Good news!

I made two stops to and from Texas for a funeral a week ago.  Wish it would have been under different circumstances, as it seems like several from this crowd were in the area.  I think I have a new favorite sandwich--their turkey was amazing!  And Milo has a particular preference for their hickory-smoked bacon jerky.

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

Archived