Swivelwheel trailer

cruisin66

I have been towing a swivel trailer for 4 1/2 years now and it allows me to take a motorcycle with us (1800 Goldwing, now 1300 VTX). We tow this behind our 34' Cameo fifthwheel and with a Chevy crewcab and full box gets us to 61' length. We have been full timing and been back and forth all over the USA, including 3 months in CA and 3 winters in FL and up the East coast and never once been stopped or questioned by a LEO on the setup. The swivel is considered a camper frame extension, so a licenses plate is not required, just move your camper plate to the back of the swivel trailer. The 8" load range D tire is hard to find from a dealer, so I carry 2 spares. With the Goldwing at 950 lbs, the tire would last 2500 miles, whereas the VTX at 550 lbs the tire last about 3500 miles. Our trailer is tapered at the rear, but you do have to watch the tail swing out on tight turns. I would suggest a rear mounted camera to monitor the trailer and it's load, also a tire monitor system. A battery golf cart might be a bit heavy for a swivel trailer, gas should be OK load wise. I searched the country on CL and found our used swivel trailer for half price.

Greg

Edited by gjhunter01

Thanks Greg

I have a 40ft trailer and my total length is about 59ft. I was looking at either the swivelwheel 58 or 58DW (8ft wide x 5ft deck.) I downsized from a BMW LT 900 lb to a BMW K1600GTL 700 lb. I figure my overall length to be in the 66 ft range. The model you have is longer and no longer made. Is yours a single wheel?

Paul

Several years ago I was interested in the Swivelwheel for the rear of my fifth wheel. I called the company in Katy, TX and asked them many questions. I asked whether it had to be licensed as a separate trailer. His answer was that in some states it did but in others it did not. He gave the example of his home State, Texas. He said that Texas considers the Swivelwheel a separate trailer and must be licensed as such. This may have changed.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Florida also considers it a separate trailer and illegal to pull behind a 5er. However, I have seen plenty of out of state 5ers pulling them and never seen one stopped by LEO. I considered getting one, but was too worried about the stresses on my 5ers frame as well as finding a good hitch to mount under there.

Here is one brand not often mentioned on forums.; http://www.toy-tote.com/

Our swivel is a single wheel, the dual wheels only carry a couple hundred pounds more load, but you now have 2 tires to worry about. The swivel trailer weighs 450 lb empty so with a Goldwing loaded the total trailer weighs in at 1500 lbs of which half is carried by the 8" tire and the other 750 lbs carried by the hitch. I have always kept a close eye on the hitch welds and any signs of camper frame sagging, none so far. I have added a photo of the swivel as currently parked for 2 months, I keep the wheel off the ground to prevent flat spots. I also have a picture of the under side hitch I made showing the two swivel mounts welded directly to the hitch frame.

Greg

post-44461-0-89188200-1488643831_thumb.jpg

post-44461-0-03241900-1488643845_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...
11 hours ago, srchiefic said:

Does anyone know where you can obtain the swivel wheel assemblies to use to manufacture your own swivel wheel trailer?

A few years ago i built a swivel wheel carrier. No one would sell the assemblies so I built my own.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

Funny I should run across this post today. I just ran across an old swivel wheel trailer in the back lot of a trailer dealer. This is an idea i have been thinking about for a while now. I have a phone call to make Monday morning.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2019 at 7:50 PM, srchiefic said:

Does anyone know where you can obtain the swivel wheel assemblies to use to manufacture your own swivel wheel trailer?

I bought one of these after I had a wheel bearing cost me the spindle on my old axle.  Was due to poor maintenance.  This axle is solid and over engineered for the rating he gives it. I've got about 15k trouble free miles with it, and I have about 900 pounds on the axle, give or take, depending on the day. 

https://axlesandmorebyjoellc.com/

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

I have seen that website before.  A bit pricy for me.  I have a friend who built a similar device with the platform, ran out of $ before he could get the proper certs to sell on open market.  His wheel assembly uses an air bag.  Nice option for load balancing.  Gotta get my hands on one to try it.  He has a bunch in his yard, brand new, just sitting.

Marcel

On 3/3/2017 at 10:25 AM, gjhunter01 said:

I have been towing a swivel trailer for 4 1/2 years now and it allows me to take a motorcycle with us (1800 Goldwing, now 1300 VTX). We tow this behind our 34' Cameo fifthwheel and with a Chevy crewcab and full box gets us to 61' length. We have been full timing and been back and forth all over the USA, including 3 months in CA and 3 winters in FL and up the East coast and never once been stopped or questioned by a LEO on the setup. The swivel is considered a camper frame extension, so a licenses plate is not required, just move your camper plate to the back of the swivel trailer. The 8" load range D tire is hard to find from a dealer, so I carry 2 spares. With the Goldwing at 950 lbs, the tire would last 2500 miles, whereas the VTX at 550 lbs the tire last about 3500 miles. Our trailer is tapered at the rear, but you do have to watch the tail swing out on tight turns. I would suggest a rear mounted camera to monitor the trailer and it's load, also a tire monitor system. A battery golf cart might be a bit heavy for a swivel trailer, gas should be OK load wise. I searched the country on CL and found our used swivel trailer for half price.

Greg

It seems like it is going through tires a bit fast.  Why do you think this is?  I would think that they are not like W speed rated tires with super soft compound.  As long as a golf cart could fit I would think you would be fine. 

Standard Golf Cart – dry weight 600 lbs.

At least this is what Google comes up with.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

15 hours ago, rynosback said:

It seems like it is going through tires a bit fast.  Why do you think this is?  I would think that they are not like W speed rated tires with super soft compound.  As long as a golf cart could fit I would think you would be fine. 

Standard Golf Cart – dry weight 600 lbs.

At least this is what Google comes up with.

I would think that load weight would be the most impactful thing to tire wear, then perhaps if there is NO suspension, that might cause some bouncing and that could attribute to tire wear also.  I would also think that the double wheel would fair better on tire wear over the single wheel.  

I find that this is similar to tire wear on my work truck.  Dually with a service bed.  Others seem to replace tires at 30K miles, I have over 50K miles on mine and still not ready for change.  BUT, I do monitor tire pressure, watch my loading, dont over load the truck and drive at below speed limit.  Maybe as I have gotten older and spent $ on things that cost me, I have learned a few things about how to become more EFFICIENT.

Marcel

I think the biggest factor is the small diameter wheels that are used also bias ply tires I remember before radial tires 8,000 to 10,000 was the norm for wear.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.

• 2 years later...

If you get the chance go on You Tube and check out Watts on Wheels.  Those folks have been pulling a Freedom Hauler behind their fifth wheel for a few years.  There's a segment where they show hooking it up to their RV and all that entails!  Spoiler alert, it aint easy.  😆 

I think the nicest feature about a swivel carrier is that you can back your unit up no problem.

Dan

LDSP.jpg

The only problem I have had with too much swivel is when backing up down over a sharp drop off (end of a camp site pad). With the swivel axle turned 180 deg, the back of the trailer will drop low enough to scrape the licenses plate. I'm still using our trailer after 9 years FT and never had any legal issues. My latest tire has lasted 8k miles which is now only loaded to approx 600 lbs.

I haul my bike front to back to allow the bike suspension to work as designed.

Cameo1.JPG

Edited by gjhunter01

On 10/9/2021 at 7:57 PM, Larry Burkett said:

Check out the Freedom Hauler, it attaches to the frame of the trailer, steers with the trailer and you can get it with a pivot for going over uneven terrain. 

I second this. I have a friend that got one. We were out in Idaho last summer. He went straight to the factory to get it installed.  Very knowledgeable people there and a real slick set up.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2021 at 7:57 PM, Larry Burkett said:

Check out the Freedom Hauler, it attaches to the frame of the trailer, steers with the trailer and you can get it with a pivot for going over uneven terrain. 

Howdy!

looks like Idaho Tote has changed their name or sold out to a new owner. I had a Idaho Tote for years. Used it to carry a Yamaha Rhino side by side later a Smart Car. They are very well constructed and made. We towed ours all over the country including Canada and Alaska. Had a law enforcement look us over a few times and never questioned it being a double tow.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon 

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime