FT Lifestyle Viability

It's been a while since I've had to dive deeply into the consideration of the viability of my lifestyle choice. Now we're thinking seriously about exchanging our Class A for an annual at a place yet to be determined.

Yesterday's WaPo had an article about exponentially rising land rents at Arizona RV parks. This gives rise to the question: Where are the financially safe states/regions for annuals? I'm writing this in mid-March 2024. And while I know that there are absolutely no certainties in this world, I still like to make good decisions.

(3/13/24) -- Given responses so far, I should clarify that we're thinking about a stationary park model located in an age-qualified (55+) Encore park (or similar). Where in the country might I have a chance at stable land rent in a higher-quality region?

Edited by Fred Marx
Clarification

First I am not sure what you mean by annual since you seem to be thinking of getting rid of your RV. A park model?

As for economic stability, the bluer the state the better that will be with the current political map. But inflation is afflicting the entire country. Even blue states are seeing climbing park rents, in Florida south of I4 for example.

So my guess is that a semi-rural blue state area will be the safest location for the near future.

jbh: I have found that there's a lack of understanding regarding the differences between RV parks and mobile home parks. As written, the article did misunderstand it. As illustrated by its pictures, the article showed the kind of park we're interested in.

Could you give a link to the article you're talking about?

Do you want to live in a RV park, mobile home park or on land you bought?

I'm not understanding your post.

You state "Encore Park or similar"..... There are plenty of RV parks that aren't under 'Encore' so you wouldn't want one of those?

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Could you give a link to the article you're talking about?

He did post a link but it was removed because it was a bit over the line into politics. The article was about mobile home park lot rental rates. We attempted to find a less political version of the story but could not find one. That article discusses who the residents will vote for in the coming election.

I think that he is interested in RV park rates and we all know that those have risen pretty much everywhere, but more in larger population areas and high tourist areas. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I think you'll just have to start calling places for their annual rates.

It would be difficult to find an area that would be good for both summer and winter temperatures.  You mentioned Arizona.  You might look into the parks in Benson, AZ.  It's a little higher elevation but not too high for winters... about 3600' EL. The summer temps aren't quite as warm as Tucson or Phoenix and the winters have some cold nights but warms up during the day.

Put your name on the Escapees Co-op park in Benson.  Lots of year-rounders there and it's a great, friendly park.  No pool though.  It would be difficult to find a cheaper, nicer one.

https://skpsaguaro.org/

CT RV Resort (formerly Cochise Terrace) might be another one for you in Benson

https://www.ctrvresort.com/

Texas would probably be very reasonable but hot in summer and cold in winter, depending where you are.

Gulf Shores, Alabama is another good one or in the vicinity but again, hot in summer.

Basically, there's no perfect place!  You just have to decide what's important to you.  Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years

Thanks for the updated explanation. There are differences between a "mobile home park" and an "RV park" that may not be apparent at first glance. Some of those differences have to do with taxes and may be State-specific. Be sure to ask lots of questions about those differences. If the person you are talking to doesn't know, find someone who does. The local tax assessor may or may not know the difference, either.

I don't know about other Escapee co-ops, but here at The Ranch we aren't allowing new park models, tiny homes, etc. All vehicles must have current licenses and be roadworthy. Be sure to visit any co-ops you might consider, as each one has a unique "personality" and what fits us may not fit you. Also, some have lengthy waiting lists, while you may be able to get a lot at others quickly. I believe we have one lot available here, and I think more will be coming up soon.

Several people here have larger fifth wheels that are more or less permanently parked on their lots and have a smaller RV for traveling. Others have given up traveling completely and would have to depend on someone else to move their rigs should that ever become necessary.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Are you only interested in the southwest, or perhaps other parts of the country? 

On 3/13/2024 at 1:04 PM, Fred Marx said:

As illustrated by its pictures, the article showed the kind of park we're interested in.

I did some searching and the article seems to be about the Coyote Ranch Manufactured Home Community in Yuma, AZ. The pictures that I found clearly show manufactured homes and no RVs or park models. 

XJCARTYRCA3GHMA7C5DQI6GEBA_size-normaliz

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Are you only interested in the southwest, or perhaps other parts of the country? 

I did some searching and the article seems to be about the Coyote Ranch Manufactured Home Community in Yuma, AZ. The pictures that I found clearly show manufactured homes and no RVs or park models. 

XJCARTYRCA3GHMA7C5DQI6GEBA_size-normaliz

This is our site in Coyote Ranch #226, this is our 3rd year here and plan on a few more. They only rent by the month 1st to 1st, the site are 60x80 and not all are RV friendly but they will supply 50 amp extension cords along with sewer hoses to but we IMG_20231110_135622516_HDR2_copy_600x564.jpg.2a525b4fdc0a4e3aca99c5411503711f.jpgdon't need because we have our own. It's a gated community but we have a opener so we don't need to use the keyed pad entry 

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Thank you, Kirk, for indicating that I did post the article link in my original post. It was never my intention to raise polarizing flags (as did the article). 'Tis the world we live in.

I used "Encore" parks as an indicator of the level of quality I'm looking for (or better). It need not be branded Encore for me to be interested. But 55+ is important.

And weather is a factor, for sure. There is no WX nirvana, I know. But high-altitude Arizona is interesting so we won't be baking like Phoenix in the summer and we won't be digging snow too often like Fargo in winter. You get the idea.

We're retired now for almost a decade and have come to grips with the idea that we need LESS. Of everything, including space. The big motorcoach was a good thing, but we think now it might be nice to settle into a nice, smallish, park model year round.

The thing about the WaPo article is the mention that larger corporate interests are raising land rents in smaller parks. Short of disaster, I don't see that ending anytime soon. So maybe we're looking for a family-owned park where Mom & Pop aren't interested in selling out.

Too much to ask? My wife and I have maybe another 15 years left on the planet. It sure would be nice if we could live in peace (and good weather).

Have you considered getting a lot in one of the Escapee co-op parks? While many of the co-op parks have a wait list, The Ranch at Lakewood NM has 2 lots that are available right now. The last I knew, Lone Star Corral at Hondo TX had a fairly short wait time to get in. If you have not done so, you should check out the Escapee Co-op parks to see what might be of interest to you. It will cost you nothing to get information. I really think that those are probably among the least expensive and most secure long term places that you could choose. 

Check out Juniper Ridge in Show Low, AZ    It would be much cooler that the 'valley' of AZ in the summer.  You could see some snow in winter though but not like Flagstaff.   Activities, pool and many Park Models.

https://juniperridgeresort.com/

Another park in the area:

We have former full-time friends who bought here & they love it... low key; not glitzy:

https://kbarrvresort.com/

https://www.realty.com/home-listings/352046585/1664-Ponderosa-Lane-Lakeside-AZ-85929

https://www.woodfieldrv.com/

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years

On 3/16/2024 at 4:35 PM, Kirk W said:

Quite right. And I am quite wrong about the pics showing park models.

As we have traveled the country, the strongest appeal has been the Encore park in Show Low Arizona because of the weather factors and excellent park maintenance. It seems like there's always a handful of park model units available and, in our upcoming visits, we'll be looking much more closely at what's available there and in other parks. We will also look at Escapees parks which we've always enjoyed.

While Show Low AZ seems to have what we want, there must be other places that fit our bill as well or better. So we're open. Just not too much heat, and not too much snow.

Thanks to all for the links. I have much to learn and you have provided the means to study up.

If you buy a stationary permanent dwelling be that RV park model, RV shed expansion garage where you park your RV and have expanded living space or whatever, should it be a lease or rent, or whatever where you don't actually own the property, then if they raise the rates or upkeep goes by the wayside if increased fees justified or not are charged, well then you can't move to another park without having to sell at whatever the market will bear.

IMO the best way to accomplish a permanent tiny home kind of deal would be to own the property and zoning restrictions on RVs alone are prevalent in many communities.

And then the property taxes may go up and up and other taxes rise.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Don't know where you are interested in but look at the Foothills in Yuma, AZ. We own our own lot, most have 2 RV hookups. Check out Yuma Craigs List under real estate for sale. Also agents in the area have them. Not an RV park but a huge community of stick and brick, manufactured, double, single wides, RVs etc.