Some Of The Most Frustrating Things About Full Time Or Extended Duration RVing?

Over the years we've read, watched, heard, seen many many accolades of the joys of Full Time RVing.    Of course most of these write ups are either by you tubers, blog promoters or otherwise and make it sound mainly Rainbows and Unicorns.   For sure for the majority it absolutely is a wonderful lifestyle for the most part ......    Personality traits of course come into play on what is a mountain to one person is a mole hill or blip issue to another.

To that end for those of you that "used to" or still do "full time" RV or even snowbird six months of the year most years in your RV but go back to a sticks n bricks or do a lot of long extended trips, care to share what maybe the top 3 or so most frustrating things you found whilst Full Time RVing.

Looking forward to the responses related to the Title.

Happy Travels.  FTW.

The most difficult part for us would be the limited space you have when 1 is not feeling well or just "out of sorts." It is important to remember that all of the daily living issues and most of the baggage of life in your house will travel with you. Another thing is that if or when things break down or family problems arise, you won't have the nearby support system of friends and neighbors, unless you are very fortunate. We lived fulltime for 12 years and because my wife's health issues were the reason we left the road, I think that for us the #1 problem was not being close to your regular doctors when health issues developed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Neighbors with contractor generators. I am more sensitive to noise than most people.

My engine needing DEF. Getting it refilled was a huge challenge for me. A dealer once charged me $245 to top off the tank in my van because that was their minimum labor charge. Another dealer was willing to fill it but he poked a hole in the carton thinking it needed an air inlet but he poked the hole below the spout so it dribbled all over everything.

Some people treating me as less than because my rig was only a van while others treated me as too big for my britches because it was a luxury van. I was always just me.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We only did extended traveling, never full-timed. I echo what Kirk said, the comfort of knowing you had lifelines was missing. We are now too old for that extended traveling(48 of the 50 states, Mexico and Canada) we enjoyed so much, and limit our traveling to within 500 miles from home.

For instance, our family doctor gave us her home cell phone # for emergencies. That was one of the things missing thousands of miles from home, even though we've only used it once.  I can fix nearly anything on/in the RV except drivetrain issues here at home in the RV garage, on the road I cannot carry all those tools, supplies, and still have room and weight capacity for our personal items for changing climates and locations.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We went into full-timing with a positive attitude and never questioned our choice. Truthfully, we have absolutely no complaints.  Stuff happens but you just deal with it. There's a solution for everything and sometimes you need to get creative but it all works out in the end.   It may not go smoothly but living in a regular house creates issues, also.  You need to keep your sense of humor.

During our 16 years we've had our share of surgeries, some serious, but we easily got excellent care.  We were there for all our grandchildren's special events, including sports.  Many times both of us weren't there but what mattered to them was that one of us were there.  

We traveled constantly and had some comical adventures that some would think were awful and would want to hang up the keys.  We're glad we dealt with them and moved onward.

It was an awesome lifestyle and volunteering along the way was very gratifying.  We have no regrets.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Just now, 2gypsies said:

We went into full-timing with a positive attitude and never questioned our choice. Truthfully, we have absolutely no complaints.  Stuff happens but you just deal with it. There's a solution for everything and sometimes you need to get creative but it all works out in the end.   It may not go smoothly but living in a regular house creates issues, also.  You need to keep your sense of humor.  I think a main requirement is that you BOTH want to do it and BOTH contribute to the RVing chores.  We also BOTH drove the RV taking turns with every move.

During our 16 years we've had our share of surgeries, some serious, but we easily got excellent care.  We were there for all our grandchildren's special events, including sports.  Many times both of us weren't there but what mattered to them was that one of us were there.  

We traveled constantly and had some comical adventures that some would think were awful and would want to hang up the keys.  We're glad we dealt with them and moved onward.

It was an awesome lifestyle and volunteering along the way was very gratifying.  We have no regrets.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Some very kind thoughtful replies.   Often read about many that come off the road eventually due to illness/mobility issues.   We don't tend to sweat the small stuff when it comes to repairs etc, but for sure can relate to the lifeline, medical type comments.    Sadly Linda like every aspect in life we deal with some aren't as considerate of their neighbours as others - at least with wheels we can move on from undesirables when necessary.  

Getting diagnosed with cancer Jan 2022, and 3 tumour removals since rocked our world.  Initially just wanted to give up on any future plans but got through that stage with 3 follow ups that were clear, then reoccurances.    Nonetheless onwards and upwards as long as we are able is our mantra now.  

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy as possible for as long as possible.   Every day is a gift to embrace.

6 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

- at least with wheels we can move on from undesirables when necessary.  

To  us, that was one of the major advantages of the mobile life and it kind of spoiled us. When on the road if we had a neighbor we disliked we always knew that even when in a volunteer position, the most we needed to get along with them was a month or two. When we left the road we kind of had to adjust our attitudes a bit as the neighbors didn't leave and neither did we! 

Mobility issues combined with proximity of our doctors was the key reason we stopped. Very few RVs are comfortable for use of a walker or needing assistance in the bathroom. 

Nonetheless onwards and upwards as long as we are able is our mantra now.  

Absolutely! Our time is much too valuable to waste. Pam had several serious medical issues before we went fulltime but her primary care doctor also understood and worked with us to manage things. We visited doctors once or twice each year for most of our time on the road, with two longer stays for recovery from surgeries. The main advice that I'd give would be to make the very best use possible of the time that you have as the memories are priceless.

Some of my thoughts have already been mentioned, but I'll add weather related issues.  I didn't like being in the RV during threatening weather; trying to figure out just where we were in relation to weather warnings; trying to decide whether we should find shelter (or where that shelter might be).

Related, dealing with extreme weather.  We dealt with the big Texas freeze up a couple of years ago.  Sitting in a RV park, iced in, with no campground electric, roads closed (too icy to walk on them, much less drive), was not the adventure we wanted.  Or the reverse, finding ourselves in a recording breaking Pennsylvania heat wave and our a/c can't quite keep up.  

To be clear, we loved full timing, but that doesn't mean that every day was peachy!  

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

4 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Some of my thoughts have already been mentioned, but I'll add weather related issues.  I didn't like being in the RV during threatening weather; trying to figure out just where we were in relation to weather warnings; trying to decide whether we should find shelter (or where that shelter might be).

Related, dealing with extreme weather.  We dealt with the big Texas freeze up a couple of years ago.  Sitting in a RV park, iced in, with no campground electric, roads closed (too icy to walk on them, much less drive), was not the adventure we wanted.  Or the reverse, finding ourselves in a recording breaking Pennsylvania heat wave and our a/c can't quite keep up.  

To be clear, we loved full timing, but that doesn't mean that every day was peachy!  

Yes! We actually took shelter a couple of times and ran from a hurricane once. It helped to have a weather alert radio. But, it was all worth it.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I think frustrations depend on so many variables, like where you are at in life. Are you working? Retired? Kids? No kids? Single? Married? It's different for everyone.

We started full-timing as working-age RVers with no kids and a dog, on sabbatical back in 2007. We haven't stopped although this is the first winter we are not spending in an RV (because we are up in Alaska for the season). Being out of the RV for the next 10 months (yes, we are going back to life on the road after our AK adventure), I'm able to more easily reflect on what we loved / don't love about full-timing. 

Top 3 Full-time RVing Frustrations for Us as Working Age RVers:

1. Lousy, Expensive, Complicated Health Care Coverage. Getting coverage out of state is difficult and expensive. We are currently Coloradoans but formerly Texans for 9 years. We finally have health care across the west coast because we were able to get Kaiser Health Insurance as Colorado residents, and Kaiser is in most West Coast states. But it's not covering us here in Alaska so everything is out of network. 

2. Internet Coverage is Expensive. It's expensive to maintain reliable, redundant internet coverage no matter what providers you use. We average anywhere from a low of $200 to $350 a month depending on the plans we are using.

3. Finding Long-Term (30-day) RV Campsites is Tougher. RVing is more popular than ever, and finding a good site in a good, affordable park (say nightly rent less of than $80) in more populated places like the West Coast is tougher these days. 

Otherwise, the usual frustrations that life will throw at any couple who lives and works together in a small space are pretty typical of most sticks and bricks folks. And although I wouldn't call it frustrating, I do miss building long-term connections in a community where people know you, and vice versa. The only thing that's come close to that for us is staying seasonally at our favorite park in the SoCal desert every winter. This is the first time we won't be there in 7 years, so we'll see what this community is like as far as getting to know folks. So far, so good. But I'm looking forward to the day when we don't have to worry about the usual domestic/renter responsibilities like trash service, snow removal, etc.

Edited by LiveWorkDream

Rene & Jim
Exploring North America since 2007. SKP #103,274

In the thirteen years my wife and I have been full-timing, I think the most common frustration that has followed us from park to park has been getting acquainted with the layout in grocery stores every couple of weeks and finding restaurants we like. Over the years though as we've aged, we've found ourselves returning more often to parks, and even specific sites, that we enjoy and have found comfortable for us, and both the stores and restaurants have become more familiar as well. We're just not into the adventure and challenge of finding new places anymore.

As far as medical issues, yes, we've had our share of those, including some ongoing issues affecting both of us. Fortunately, we have an excellent Medicare Advantage plan that's accepted nationwide, and we've developed a cadre of doctors in the appropriate specialties that we can refer to either in person, by telemedicine, or phone call. If nothing else, a number of times both of us have managed nicely with a local urgent care facility for simple wounds and infections. We've also had no trouble locating lab services for blood draws, etc, as requested by our doctors.  Last winter when my wife was hospitalized in Florida due to complications from COPD, her Upstate NY pulmonologist quickly called on an associate in Florida with hospital privileges there to manage her care and consult with him. Her cardiologist also had an associate stop in and review her testing and treatment to ensure there were no heart related issues. Our costs were all just her usual co-pays for in-plan services. We haven't found full-timing to add any significant issues to finding proper medical care when needed using the relationships we've developed over the years. It was fortunate that we had arrived at our Upstate NY permanent site the day before my stroke last April, but with a lot of help, I've recovered enough that we were able to make a few trips to NY state park campgrounds, and have one more coming up before stay put for the holiday before heading south again. We're now at an age and condition where continuing to full-time will probably become prohibitive fairly soon, possibly by next spring. Our "hang up the keys" plan is in place, so we'll see how it goes. The bottom line is that we've never regretted one minute of the years we've spent full-timing, and won't trade it for any other life style until we have to.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 9/11/2023 at 2:57 PM, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Every day is a gift to embrace.

So how about sharing a bit more with us about your plans? When health drove us from the road we downsized but we didn't stop traveling by RV. We did a pretty good variety of things for the next 10 years but have only just this summer left RV life behind. Don't give up your dreams until you must, even if you need to modify them. 

There are so many variables involved , peoples age, health, types of people, type/style of RVs, work/retired, expectations, capable of making self repairs, financially stable, flexible life styles etc.  As for us - we have had our current rig for 4.5 years, been fulltiming now for 3 years, 45 years together, mid to late 60s, both on Medicare, very capable of making repairs. With military service and working in corporate America, the wife and I left "home" when we got married, moved and lived in different parts of the country. We have been "nomads" since the day we got married. That makes it easier for us to blend right in with fulltime RV living.

Our domicile is Texas, winter home port Galveston. We are in good health, financially stable, retired, No real big problems with our rig in over 20,000 miles. In 3 years on the road we have taken 2 very long trips around the country. Stayed in many campgrounds, visited many popular State and National Parks. one trip over 9000 miles, one 5000 miles, otherwise traveling to see family.

You have to really like and get along with the other person you're fulltiming with. Pick the right rig for you to fulltime in. Biggest frustrations for us - inconsiderate people, and those who can't control their dogs or kids. Some campgrounds that cram RVs into sites like sardines. But fulltiming means these frustrations don't last very long, then you move on.

Things like trip planning and reservations in advance are just the things you have to do, but is not frustrating for us. Finding the local grocery or restaurants is fun adventures for us.

Edited by Steven@146

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

For us (full-time eight years, now) the only real frustration was getting back at least once a year to where our health care providers were located. They were not conveniently placed on the travel patterns and routes we found ourselves establishing. We fixed that situation a few years ago by finding new providers (we absolutely loved our old ones and hated leaving them) in a place where we spend a lot of time near the critical mass of our grandchildren. There are other good reasons to stay for longer periods in this area besides the grandkids, so it just made sense. We have no major frustrations now... with the exception of our aging bodies.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Wow, this has been wonderful to read so many folks perspectives and I'm sure others have enjoyed as well 😀.    For sure responses of course will vary as indicated by others on folks individual demographics when they started FTing, but most experiences can be related to.  👍 

For us strange grocery stores don't phase us, I tend to stock up on things (Teabags, Marmite, Heinz Salad Dressing, Rich Tea, HP Sauce etc), I can't source easily on our travels.   Breakdowns happen and for the most part we just roll with the punches.   Once we had engine replaced in Pocatello (stuck there just over a week), another time, Great Falls for 3 weeks, so just drove their truck back home 4.5hrs for 3 weeks awaiting repairs.    Weather for sure would have an impact if long term misery = we've ran away from large tropical storm heading inland in Fla in previous years, hiding behind building for sake of a few days.    I think for us the biggest frustrations would be anything limiting due to medical issues, but if it's beyond our control then we have to accept that which we can't change and change that which we can.   With no grandchildren on the horizon due to daughter's teaching contract for next couple years we have no ties to any particular area, other than seeing her right now.  

In answer to your Question above Kirk about our plans.   Well they've been like a revolving door since around 2015 = ain't that just the truth about life?   With daughter getting married in 2017 planned and taking over the family acreage, then terminated after 7 years in the making, to now today just got married 1st Sept 2023 (she's 32 but they originally met when she was 16 and reconnected in 2019), and moved into his rental in city that they are planning to buy off his uncle cheap and fix up and then resell to get back on an acreage - with past relationship memories, she just didn't want the family one any more :(.   The latter broke my heart having to sell it.

Some of the proceeds from the sale of the acreage we plan to buy a small piece of land (4+ac) when the right place comes up (choice very limited right now due demand!), and eventually the kids will build their dream home and an apartment off one of the outbuildings for us in later years and as an income helper when we no longer require it.   Well all good laid plans and that = anything can change between now and then, as the past decade has witnessed many times over for us.    For sure we tend to roll with the punches, for the most part :).

Being Canadian (think artic tundra 6+ months in a tin can!), we have other considerations on our limited time allowed in the USA, affordable medical insurance when there with now existing conditions, and the fact that what was supposed to be 2 years of 3 monthly scopes if clear going out to 6 months and then yearly and so on for 7 to 10 years,  I'm now 18 months in and still on 3 monthly scopes for the foreseeable due to reoccorance, last tumours removed Feb 16th and July 10th this year :(    Absolutely though Kirk, we've no intentions of letting that stop us at least now and if I have to fly back for scopes/ops etc so be it during our snowbirding time in the beautiful USA.    Daughter will just have to have a house guest longer/more often than expected.   Either that or I'll book into a hotel LOL.

We've been blessed in the fact that we have covered 48 of the USA states (inc Hawaii not by RV obviously & Alaska) and every province and territory in Canada - alas all at speed in our road warrior working years, but we made it happen!   Our goal now is to do it more at a leisurely pace and smell more roses along the way.   We are sometimes happy to only move 50 miles or so up the road nowadays to explore what's around the next bend.

We love kayaking, fishing, lakes mountains, waterfalls, beautiful landscapes and vistas, snorkelling and visiting small towns and enjoying their architecture and people watching.   So our satisfaction needs are pretty basic.    Alas both of us with bad rotator cuffs from years of construction and farming (one op worked others not!), kayaking and fishing is starting to get less time casting/paddling each attempt, and of course we need to assess water/wind challenges moreso not being as strong in our arms anymore.    That doesn't mean we can't enjoy so much else and for sure we intend to keep doing it as long as we can.

Whist (at least right now and of course with age that might change as well!!), we are not ones to spend a month in one place unless there's a lot to explore/see/do of interest to us, we tend to like to move every few days or so.    We just aren't the type to sit somewhere for sitting's sake cause the weather is warmer.  Again, and this might change as well, we really have never enjoyed being sardined in commercial CG's for the most part, and being tied to reservations = serendipity travellers liking to stop and start as whim arises.   Of course as said, this too might change in a handful of years, as even now I'm finding I'm more conscious of how safe do I feel in various locations the past few years, we never thought twice about being at a decade plus agot!    Time's they are a changin' for sure.

So the ideal goals/plans right now, are to be down South in the warmer climes in the winter months exploring, taking an odd cruise here and there maybe, spending the summers closer to our youngest daughter and maybe every few weeks head West and another time east to explore Canada for the umpteenth time LOL.   We'd also love to RV in Mexico, but again lately that's caused us concern safety wise, but feel still doable if can get a small group of us together with varying skills - like a mini caravan watching out for each other.

Another thing we decided to do, much to hubby's protest because he likes me in with him navigating.   Mainly because we aren't moving very far very fast for the most part nowadays, is instead of investing in a tow set up (we've never toad since 1999) and another vehicle suitable for towing on top, we are going to do the chase car with my Escape for the first couple years.    In due course being FT it will allow us the chance to realise if we   a) Need to change rigs for something more suitable/newer and   b) install a tow set up on a new rig or the existing one without wasting the money up front initially.    For sure we know it's double mileage/gasoline etc but .....    We just don't want to be wasting our nest egg we worked so long and hard for over the decades on something we then want to change out again in a year or less.

Awesome reading your sharing comments above everyone, looking forward to reading more.

FTW.

14 hours ago, Steven@146 said:

There are so many variables involved , peoples age, health, types of people, type/style of RVs, work/retired, expectations, capable of making self repairs, financially stable, flexible life styles etc.  As for us - we have had our current rig for 4.5 years, been fulltiming now for 3 years, 45 years together, mid to late 60s, both on Medicare, very capable of making repairs. With military service and working in corporate America, the wife and I left "home" when we got married, moved and lived in different parts of the country. We have been "nomads" since the day we got married. That makes it easier for us to blend right in with fulltime RV living.

Our domicile is Texas, winter home port Galveston. We are in good health, financially stable, retired, No real big problems with our rig in over 20,000 miles. In 3 years on the road we have taken 2 very long trips around the country. Stayed in many campgrounds, visited many popular State and National Parks. one trip over 9000 miles, one 5000 miles, otherwise traveling to see family.

You have to really like and get along with the other person you're fulltiming with. Pick the right rig for you to fulltime in. Biggest frustrations for us - inconsiderate people, and those who can't control their dogs or kids. Some campgrounds that cram RVs into sites like sardines. But fulltiming means these frustrations don't last very long, then you move on.

Things like trip planning and reservations in advance are just the things you have to do, but is not frustrating for us. Finding the local grocery or restaurants is fun adventures for us.

We have been full time for 3 1/2 years and our biggest frustration is the people with dogs that think everyone wants to pet them. We don’t. Especially the one who don’t leash them or let the have 25 ft lead. We love dogs but not the owners who have no consideration for others. Keep them in your own site and we are fine. Nothing else has been a problem anywhere we have been and have no regrets on full timing. We are 56-60 and hope to have the longevity that others have had. 

We were Dish Satellite customers for many years, even before we went full time, so we were already used to occasional outages during rough weather.  When we bought a house a couple of months ago we went with all streaming services and left satellite.  Just yesterday we had our first bout of heavy weather.  It crossed my mind as I watched TV that for many years I would have been wondering if the signal would fade during the worst of it.  

This, of course, isn't all that big a deal, but it is another of those little frustrations that were pretty common for us in the RV that we don't have now.  

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

For sure we are animal lovers being also farmer background but we too don't appreciate obnoxious dogs/pets where the owners let them run riot near our space over the years.   In fact we got so tired many years ago when we used to book more into CGs back then, that we'd specifically ask to be in the non-pet area where chances were stronger we'd avoid confrontation or messages left behind!!    I have to say that we have been blessed for the most part, to come across more respectful children/young adults than not but on occasion in cramped provincial park we used to frequent often, we'd have to endure balls/disks, hitting our siding, windshield and even us!   As well always that odd disrespectful drunken group that think partying till 3am in the morning is acceptable to all around them!   Nowadays we tend not to use CGs so not been an issue generally.

We cut cable back in 2014, and haven't missed it in the slightest - we are not big TV watchers, and tend to source our odd interest ie; news a nearly 70 year running UK series I enjoy, via the internet and we enjoy playing card games during our down times.   Good point though Scott for those into TV shows etc when weather affects enjoyment.

Just at the moment researching like crazy what to see and do and not miss in the two states we haven't yet spent any time in.   Namely Oklahoma and Arkansas - we'll have to try and hit them during April on our return after snowbirding south.    Read some write ups saying OK roads are pot hole riddled but nonetheless looking forward to finally getting them both visited for a couple weeks at least each.    Should hopefully catch before Tornado season!!

Really enjoying reading your comments everyone.   I've always said, that no matter how much fun and enjoyment something is there's always something that causes some frustration somewhere and it's a trade off we make for getting so much good the rest of the time.

Safe and happy travels to all and ongoing good health everyone!

Probably the most frustrating time we've had extended traveling was when we were down in Mexico for a month in the winter and my wife's uncle passed away and we had no good way of getting back to Nebraska in a timely manner.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Just at the moment researching like crazy what to see and do and not miss in the two states we haven't yet spent any time in.   Namely Oklahoma and Arkansas -

A couple of favorites in Oklahoma:

Lake Eufaula State Park             Lake Texoma State Park

Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge

Chickasaw National Recreation Area

and in Arkansas:

Hot Springs National Park         LAKE OUACHITA STATE PARK

Mississippi River State Park             Bull Shoals – White River State Park

11 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

We were Dish Satellite customers for many years, even before we went full time, so we were already used to occasional outages during rough weather.  When we bought a house a couple of months ago we went with all streaming services and left satellite.  Just yesterday we had our first bout of heavy weather.  It crossed my mind as I watched TV that for many years I would have been wondering if the signal would fade during the worst of it.  

This, of course, isn't all that big a deal, but it is another of those little frustrations that were pretty common for us in the RV that we don't have now.  

We sort of have the best of both worlds when it comes to severe weather. When a storm is approaching, we often switch from Dish to the DishAnywhere app on our Firestick that's streaming from the H2 at our Upstate NY cottage. The weather is usually sufficiently different between there and where we are that the service on that end is either not affected or at least the storm hits at a different time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

We would second what Kirk said about the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge - We stayed at a campground on Lake Lawtonka near Lawton OK and had a great time. Also visited Medicine Park and had a couple meals at the Meers General Store and hamburger restaurant that will take you back to the 1900s. We got a pass to get on Fort Sill Army Post and visited the Army Museums there, excellent! Civilians can get a Pass to get on the Army Post.

We stopped by the Native American Cemeteries and Burial Grounds also inside Fort Sill. Geronimo, Quanta Parker and several Native Americans are buried on Fort Sill. Fort Sill is one of the oldest Army Post in the country dating back to the middle to late 1800s and the old Calvary Post. Inside the Wildlife Refuge we visited the Holy City of the Wichita MTS and Mount Scott. We had a great time!

This is the best part of fulltiming for us, visiting all these places around the country. Lots of history to discover!

Steve & Tami Cass, Fulltime Somewhere

2018 Ram 3500 DRW / 2019 Grand Design Solitude 3350RL S-Class. Texas Class A Drivers License

Again a HUGE Thanks for the tips Kirk = right up our Alley with lakes, waterfalls etc ;)    Also thanks Steven for your sharing experience.    We definitely will be wanting to experience the Ozarks and some of the outlook points that offer the best experiences.   For sure we intend to check out some towns as well like OKC, Tulsa, Little Rock, Eureka, Hot Springs (even just a look see as we're passing thru on the smaller ones)>  Also as a one night entertainment and purely curiosity being the largest in the USA we're going to stop a complimentary night or maybe two if we want a down day inbetween at the Winstar.   Probably be the most expensive O/N stay LOL.

Looking forward to it all 👍

Just east of OKC, right on I-40, is Grand Casino Shawnee with free RV parking with electric. Sites 1-10, if I remember correctly but there's also a site 0 and a 00. It's on pavement but backs up to a creek. Don't use their dump unless you have a macerator; it's uphill. Instead, continue east the to first rest area which has a decent dump.

This may be outdated info as the name of the casino has changed since we were there.

Linda