"Mac the Fire Guy" has passed away

Dutch_12078

Mac McCoy, better known to many of us as "Mac the Fire Guy" from his many fire prevention talks and displays at various rallies, etc., has passed away. I found out this morning from former RV'er Nick Russell's blog remembering Mac. Rest in peace Mac, you will be missed:

https://www.gypsyjournalrv.com/2023/08/rest-in-peace-mac/

Edited by Dutch_12078
typo

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

I have most of his videos bookmarked. I wonder if they will now disappear? Is there a practical way to download them?

I do have a short video of Mac instructing my wife how to properly use one of his hand extinguishers.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Always aim at the base of the fire; not the flames. That's my primary take away.

And only use the right type of suppressor. The ones that come with RVs make a mess you probably don't want to deal with.

Linda

Edited by sandsys

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

This old thread will give newer members Mac's background and a window into his experience.

https://escapees.com/escaping-an-rv-fire/

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We talked several times and he read my stuff when I kept my website, which I decided not to redo. He was a friend and will be missed. He was an RV safety advocate who helped many of us willing to learn, and I am sure saved some lives.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

21 hours ago, Payroll Person said:

I thought of him recently. New people staying in the every with us. Showed them the hand held fire suppressor (breathable) under their pillow and that the door would not be locked. In other words, spray their way out, and we would get out the back window. Don’t wait for us and don’t try to put out a fire. 

Yup, Mac said a hand-held fire extinguisher name is not accurate, it is not designed to put out a fire, just suppress it long enough to get away. I have a lot of respect for his knowledge and dedication to fire safety.

The advice tied so well into life experience trying to save drivers from race car fires. Gasoline fire is one thing. Methanol is another, and one which takes unusual ideas such as being prepared and willing to drag vehicle away from fuel pool. And being aware of the way to spot methanol fire. We’ve come a long way since the 50’s.

I think most people, unless trained, should use a safety spray to get out, not to try to suppress. The new sprays are excellent and breathable  

But we go backwards on occasion IMO. The maker of my rv put a bottle at floor level by the door, completely useless unless someone was coming in to try to suppress. 

12 hours ago, Payroll Person said:

The maker of my rv put a bottle at floor level by the door, completely useless unless someone was coming in to try to suppress. 

I think all RV manufacturer's put the fire extinguishers by the door. My guess is they want the buyer to see it every time they come inside so they'll remember where to find it if needed. But if the idea is to suppress the fire just enough to have time to escape then you're right, that's a useless location since you'd just head on out the door. Unless there was someone else further back in the RV that needed that extra time to escape so you'd grab and use it instead of heading out. Then it would be good to remember where it is.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

I think all RV manufacturer's put the fire extinguishers by the door. My guess is they want the buyer to see it every time they come inside so they'll remember where to find it if needed. But if the idea is to suppress the fire just enough to have time to escape then you're right, that's a useless location since you'd just head on out the door. Unless there was someone else further back in the RV that needed that extra time to escape so you'd grab and use it instead of heading out. Then it would be good to remember where it is.

Linda

Building code also requires extinguishers to be placed beside exit doors, on buildings that require them. No reason given for the location, just a specified location.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

From the back bed, I would have to pass the stove and refer (likely fire starter big locations) and bend down to get the stock bottle. That is what is pointless. I have two small handheld breathable bottles on the back, one on each side of the bed. And two on the top bunk over the cab. For the back bed, we can drop out the window, but I might want to go forward to help others out (one to get forward, the second to get out).