CB Radio users ?

JGWALES

I have one in the truck, and it is on, but I dont seem to be in a cb traffic area here in Oregon. Now and then I'll be on the same road and direction for a short while as someone, but mostly I just hear a few job site users for a few minutes, then nothing.

Hopefully soon there will be a neighbor travelling with me occasionally in their rig, and they also have a cb, so maybe then it'll get some use.

I'm a work'n on it.

I have not heard much activity on CB in years.  GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is really becoming more popular, especially off road'ers.  Many truckers are switching from CB to GMRS, which may explain the decline of CB.  These radios work on the same frequencies as FRS but can use more power, better antennas, and repeaters (similar to amateur radio 70cm).  The advantages of FM on UHF band is better range and clear audio. GMRS requires a license but unlike amateur radio, no test is involved.  The license costs $35 for 10 years but covers your entire family.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

2 hours ago, k4rs said:

GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is really becoming more popular, especially off road'ers. 

I am wondering if you use it, or do many other RV folks use one? What about traffic on the highways? I was looking and Amazon has a wide range of them for quite a range in prices.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Over the past few years when we convoyed, the folks in the group used FRS walkie talkies.  The problem with these is the limited range.  I am a ham radio operator and with one group, I was near the front with my 2m mobile unit and an FRS radio and he was toward the back with his 2m mobile radio and an FRS.  We were spread far enough apart with the hills, the FRS units in the front did not hear the FRS in the rear.  With our 50-Watt mobile radios with outside antennas, we could relay information and then let the FRS crowd know what we were planning.

GMRS is higher powered and does require an FCC license.  There is no test, and one license covers your immediate family....not everyone in your group.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I had one in my first truck for a while, but then it was stolen and the coax wires cut instead of unscrewed. The new to me truck has one in it and it also has a Weather Band so it's staying for at least that. I will probably turn it on 19 for my first trip, but it there is nothing there I will scroll through the channels to see if I hear anything. 

Previously I would turn it on only during traffic tie ups to see what the issue was and if there was a lane to stay in that wasn't blocked. Been over 10 years so I truly don't know what I will find. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 hours ago, JGWALES said:

For those who still use CBs what channel do you use. I always used 19 but i read that RVers use 13 

19 is the communication channel for professional, and not so much professional, drivers.  

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

20 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I am wondering if you use it, or do many other RV folks use one? What about traffic on the highways? I was looking and Amazon has a wide range of them for quite a range in prices.

Yes, in addition to being a ham, I also have a GMRS license.  The loss of communications in Florida after Hurricane Ian really opened many eyes.  There has been a large uptick in people who see the need to communicate without the infrastructure but do not want to get into amateur radio.

The semi official travel channel for GMRS is 19, just like CB.  We have heard people on this frequency while traveling and on other channels in campgrounds.  Of course those are most likely FRS users.

Safe Travels...

Back during the CB craze of the '80s a friend and myself decided to try using CBs on a trip.  We decided our "handles" would be our ham call signs.  Nothing wrong with that, handles can be anything you want.  You wouldn't believe the grief and downright rudeness we got from others on the band, ranging from suggestions that we were operating illegally to get the h*** off of our channels.

Edited by Lou Schneider

I have one GMRS and had two sets of FRS talkies.  The FRS talkies were required on a truck camper caravan that I traveled with in 2005.  They worked well.  A pair of newer FRS models are almost useless - kids toys - the older pair are better.
I installed a CB radio which was a requirement for a planned Baja, MX caravan trip. But wife broken an arm and we didn't go. 
Subsequently, the CB radio was fairly useless during travel.  The limited trucker chatter was more disgusting than useful.
I un-installed the CB.

My purchase of a GMRS radio was because of an off-roading group that I joined.  It was quite useful.
In scanning mode, I stumbled upon a Sunday evening GMRS group that start a 6pm and check in for a little friendly chit chat.  I seems that there is one organizer that co-ordinates the check-in progress state-by-state.
During road travel, when left in scanning mode I've found almost nothing.

WRPT344 out.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I have one, but it isn't like it used to be. Still some ol' timers out there though. Brings back good memories when you run across one.  If you'll stop and think, back when every truck driver ran a CB, we didn't have these huge pile ups on the interstate. Always knew about road hazards in plenty of time to avoid them.

On 8/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, k4rs said:

I have not heard much activity on CB in years.  GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) is really becoming more popular, especially off road'ers.  Many truckers are switching from CB to GMRS, which may explain the decline of CB.  These radios work on the same frequencies as FRS but can use more power, better antennas, and repeaters (similar to amateur radio 70cm).  The advantages of FM on UHF band is better range and clear audio. GMRS requires a license but unlike amateur radio, no test is involved.  The license costs $35 for 10 years but covers your entire family.

Safe Travels...

Can you use a traditional CB antenna with a GMRS radio?

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

Can you use a traditional CB antenna with a GMRS radio?

No.  CB operates at 27 MHz.  FRS and GMRS is 462 - 467 MHz.  Some antennas for the amateur 70cm band will work but the SWR will usually be on the high side.

Safe Travels... 

Edited by k4rs

As noted above, CB is in the 11m band and GMRS is in the 70 cm band.   You will not get a good SWR match.  There will be a lot of reflected power back into the radio which will damage the radio.  You will need to get a GMRS specific antenna.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot