Reasonable Florida Campgrounds

rynosback

I’m trying to research a place for next Winter in mid to Southern Florida to spend at least 3 months for a reasonable rate. I would prefer a 55+ park that has a pool, hot tub, pickleball quarts and activities like cards and Bingo. I have a 40’ 5ver. I would even rent from an owner as I have come across communities like that across the country. Feel free to post it up or message me if you want to tell me about a hidden unknown gem.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Reasonable rate with a pool and pickleball courts?  Good luck!  Have you looked into the Escapees park in Sumter Oaks or the Escapee co-op park in Wauchula?

https://fl-skp-resort.org/

https://sumteroaks.escapeesrvparks.com/

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

15 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Reasonable rate with a pool and pickleball courts?  Good luck!  Have you looked into the Escapees park in Sumter Oaks or the Escapee co-op park in Wauchula?

https://fl-skp-resort.org/

https://sumteroaks.escapeesrvparks.com/

Yes, I have them on the list. One does not start taking reservations for a couple of months.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

I don't know about any parks in South Florida. But you should be aware that many are at least partially booked by the folks already in them. And be ready for price shock.

I have seen some crazy prices and I’m aware that some are booked from people that have been displaced as well as people that are return snowbirds. This is why I asked the question. Thanks for your feedback. 

If you want reasonable rates (1000/mo or less last year) then you are looking at parks north of Orlando/I4, there are several big parks around Chiefland, one near Archer. I Others down US 19 south of Chiefland. Many parks in the Ocala National Forest east of Ocala. There is a very highly reviewed campground called Rock Crusher Springs, west of Ocala. Near Crystal River IIRC. We've driven past but never stopped in. The Village south of Ocala is a pickelball hotspot. No beach swimming along the west coast until south of Tarpon Springs. With a few small local spots the exception. Lots of major springs tho.

The weather won't be swimming weather tho for much of the winter, not by Floridian standards. But much warmer than up North. It has like the rest of the country been record cold here, lows in the 20's or even below for almost a week. Most winters, spring arrives in February tho.

I'm sure there are many along US 1 but the will be more expensive. Rule of thumb, price goes up nearer real beaches and the further south you get of Orlando. Well above 2000 a month.

Edited by agesilaus

I believe that the co-op where I live meets your requirements.  The only exception is the pickle ball and there is a court at the city park 2 blocks away.  Due to the fact that more park models go in every year, the number of vacant lots available to rent is going down.   We have also had some very large increases in utility fees and taxes.  In spite of this, rents are currently in $700 to $800 range (prices are set by the individual lot owners).   Most lots are rented a year in advance so it is probably too late to find something for this winter.

https://www.avionpalms.org/?page_id=323

Safe Travels and Happy New Year...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

3 hours ago, k4rs said:

I believe that the co-op where I live meets your requirements.  The only exception is the pickle ball and there is a court at the city park 2 blocks away.  Due to the fact that more park models go in every year, the number of vacant lots available to rent is going down.   We have also had some very large increases in utility fees and taxes.  In spite of this, rents are currently in $700 to $800 range (prices are set by the individual lot owners).   Most lots are rented a year in advance so it is probably too late to find something for this winter.

This is for next year. I’m wintering at the SKP Plantation now. Thanks for the feedback and I will look into it. 

Edited by rynosback

8 hours ago, agesilaus said:

If you want reasonable rates (1000/mo or less last year) then you are looking at parks north of Orlando/I4, there are several big parks around Chiefland, one near Archer. I Others down US 19 south of Chiefland. Many parks in the Ocala National Forest east of Ocala. There is a very highly reviewed campground called Rock Crusher Springs, west of Ocala. Near Crystal River IIRC. We've driven past but never stopped in. The Village south of Ocala is a pickelball hotspot. No beach swimming along the west coast until south of Tarpon Springs. With a few small local spots the exception. Lots of major springs tho.

The weather won't be swimming weather tho for much of the winter, not by Floridian standards. But much warmer than up North. It has like the rest of the country been record cold here, lows in the 20's or even below for almost a week. Most winters, spring arrives in February tho.

I'm sure there are many along US 1 but the will be more expensive. Rule of thumb, price goes up nearer real beaches and the further south you get of Orlando. Well above 2000 a month.

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, k4rs said:

Have you stayed there? I ask because I have stayed at places owned by owners and they looked down at renters at on place I stayed at. Like I was a second class citizen. 

Not south but this year we are trying Oak Alley RV Resort in Webster Fl. it is really in the middle of nowhere, but the place is extremely nice, not that old and was built correctly. They have a pool and hot tub,12 pickleball courts and a pro here for lessons(free), lots of activities and free Wi-Fi at your site with a provided router that they install, and it is included in your site rental. About an hour drive to Tampa and Orlando, our fee this year was $1050 a month for site rental with all utilities and Wi-Fi.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Just to define things a little bit, there is a significant difference between a deeded lot with a home owner's association park and a co-operative park where the members have no deeds and no real estate taxes. There are other differences but when they are working well they have similar results.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, rynosback said:

Have you stayed there? I ask because I have stayed at places owned by owners and they looked down at renters at on place I stayed at. Like I was a second class citizen. 

Yes, this is my home base.  We stay here about 7 - 8 months out of the year and travel during the summer.  Renters are always very welcome here.  They have full use of all of the amenities and activities.   In fact, most who purchase a lot here start out as renters.  The only event where renters are excluded is the annual HOA meeting where proposed rule changes are voted on and the election of the board.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Just to define things a little bit, there is a significant difference between a deeded lot with a home owner's association park and a co-operative park where the members have no deeds and no real estate taxes. There are other differences but when they are working well they have similar results.

Thanks Kirk,

I was not aware of the exact definition of co-op, but this park is so similar to SKP co-op parks that I just think of it that way.

5 hours ago, dblr said:

this year we are trying Oak Alley RV Resort in Webster Fl

We stayed there on a three nights for free offer last April. No sales pitch required. I think it was their first year of operations. I was impressed. The sites were mostly backins as I recall and pretty well spaced. They had about a dozen pull throughs with concrete pads for short term visitors. In addition to the facilities mentioned by dblr, they had a nice size dog run and even had a stainless steel dog bathing shower set up.

It is in the same general area as the Escapees Sumpter Oaks Park. Bushnell is not far and the Villages, Eustis and Mount Dora are not that far. There are quite a few RV parks in that area. Webster has a large flea and farmers market every Monday. There is also a smaller flea market in the area.

Edited by trailertraveler

8 hours ago, k4rs said:

Yes, this is my home base.  We stay here about 7 - 8 months out of the year and travel during the summer.  Renters are always very welcome here.  They have full use of all of the amenities and activities.   In fact, most who purchase a lot here start out as renters.  The only event where renters are excluded is the annual HOA meeting where proposed rule changes are voted on and the election of the board.

Thanks again for the feedback. Happy New Year! 

9 hours ago, k4rs said:

I was not aware of the exact definition of co-op, but this park is so similar to SKP co-op parks

The differences are mostly in the tax structure and legalities but the end result is very similar. A co-op park member has no deed and only owns an interest in the corporation that actually owns all of the assets. For that reason their lots must be sold through the organization. An HOA is typically written into the protective covenants of the deed but you own the property and can sell to anyone you choose. That is the reason that only an Escapee member can buy into one of their co-op parks.

16 hours ago, dblr said:

Not south but this year we are trying Oak Alley RV Resort in Webster Fl. it is really in the middle of nowhere, but the place is extremely nice, not that old and was built correctly. They have a pool and hot tub,12 pickleball courts and a pro here for lessons(free), lots of activities and free Wi-Fi at your site with a provided router that they install, and it is included in your site rental. About an hour drive to Tampa and Orlando, our fee this year was $1050 a month for site rental with all utilities and Wi-Fi.

Looks like a nice place. Thanks for the suggestion. 

16 hours ago, dblr said:

I'm a avid pickleball player and I'm surprised they put the courts right in the middle of RV sites.  The constant ball/paddle noise wouldn't be good for us.  Keep that in mind when choosing sites.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I'm a avid pickleball player and I'm surprised they put the courts right in the middle of RV sites.  The constant ball/paddle noise wouldn't be good for us.  Keep that in mind when choosing sites.

We were actually walking around looking at sites in case we wish to return next year, which by the way are all very similar but there are a few wider than some and the ones near all the activities looked good but the first thing I thought about was hearing pickleball all day :o

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

On 12/30/2022 at 5:03 AM, dblr said:

We were actually walking around looking at sites in case we wish to return next year, which by the way are all very similar but there are a few wider than some and the ones near all the activities looked good but the first thing I thought about was hearing pickleball all day :o

The outer perimeter sites are there larger sites. $1000 monthly turns into $1500.

Larger Lot: 150% of rate

Edited by rynosback

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

The outer perimeter sites are there larger sites. $1000 monthly turns into $1500.

Larger Lot: 150% of rate

That is correct plus they offer different options on site rental (lease), per month or a 6 month includes electric, what they call 6+6 meaning 6 months site use 6 months storage is plus electric. This year we did 3 months and are considering the 6 months for next winter.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Part of the issue in determining what is a reasonable price anywhere is choosing who gets to set the cost at which it becomes unreasonable. We all agree that prices should be fair to everyone but we do not agree on what a fair price is. If you own an RV park you look at things much differently than we who only use them. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct typo

When we started wintering in Florida we were in Davenport, near Orlando. Very expensive but they had the amenities you want. There were lots of activities and lots of traffic. A few years ago we moved our winter base to the Sebring area. Much less expensive. Still lots of traffic if you are on US-27 in town, but things get rural pretty fast out of town. There are several parks along the US-27 corridor south of Lake Wales down through Lake Placid. You might find something there. Warmer than northern Florida, too. This is along the central ridge which seems to divert quite a few stormy days. We are 110' above sea level! That is a towering elevation for Florida.

There is also the US-17 corridor south of Winter Haven. Again, it starts to get rural pretty fast. If you do choose this area  beware of being in lowlands along the Peace River. Our new neighbors here, around Sebring, were in Zolfo Springs. Their site flooded by several feet during hurricane Ian. They were away, but had a trailer with a motorcycle in it when the flood hit. Totaled.

Wayne

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Part of the issue in determining what is a reasonable price anywhere is choosing who gets to set the cost at which it becomes unreasonable. We all agree that prices should be fair to everyone but we do not agree on what a fair price is. If you own an RV park you look at things much differently than we who only use them. 

Kirk, reasonable price is an internal judgement call. I thought the intent of my post was pretty clear. Am I wrong? But when you really look at what a campground offers and how neighboring campgrounds compare, you get a sense of what is reasonable. Maybe it’s my brain that can spot a value for what you get. 
Honestly I’m not really sure why you posted this. As an owner there are MANY factors that go into pricing. If they are smart, they would look at what is around them and price based apron what they offer. But that is something they have to decide to do.

Edited by rynosback