Reasonable Florida Campgrounds

rynosback

4 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

When we started wintering in Florida we were in Davenport, near Orlando. Very expensive but they had the amenities you want. There were lots of activities and lots of traffic. A few years ago we moved our winter base to the Sebring area. Much less expensive. Still lots of traffic if you are on US-27 in town, but things get rural pretty fast out of town. There are several parks along the US-27 corridor south of Lake Wales down through Lake Placid. You might find something there. Warmer than northern Florida, too. This is along the central ridge which seems to divert quite a few stormy days. We are 110' above sea level! That is a towering elevation for Florida.

There is also the US-17 corridor south of Winter Haven. Again, it starts to get rural pretty fast. If you do choose this area  beware of being in lowlands along the Peace River. Our new neighbors here, around Sebring, were in Zolfo Springs. Their site flooded by several feet during hurricane Ian. They were away, but had a trailer with a motorcycle in it when the flood hit. Totaled.

Wayne

Many thanks for all of your insight, it is truly helpful. 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Well a business, if it wants to be successful, needs to maximize price vs sales to maximize profits. If they can raise their price while still filling the park then that is what they need to do. Econ 101. They aren't running a charity. If they have shareholders, then they are legally required to do so, as I understand it.

On 12/27/2022 at 11:21 PM, rynosback said:

I have seen some crazy prices and I’m aware that some are booked from people that have been displaced as well as people that are return snowbirds.

7 hours ago, rynosback said:

, reasonable price is an internal judgement call. 

Honestly I’m not really sure why you posted this. 

Share exactly what a reasonable rate is by your definition. If an RV park is full or nearly so, it would seem that someone must think the prices there to be reasonable? If you were to share the price range that you are looking for it would be far less subjective and more easily answered. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

49 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Share exactly what a reasonable rate is by your definition. If an RV park is full or nearly so, it would seem that someone must think the prices there to be reasonable? If you were to share the price range that you are looking for it would be far less subjective and more easily answered. 

I have not mentioned a price range, but yet several what looks like good suggestions have been posted. Try not to take this the wrong way, you have not posted one suggestion, but you seem to like to ridicule people who are trying to be helpful. You don’t have to post in every post. It’s almost to the point that people don’t want to post up questions or try to be helpful. 

7 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Well a business, if it wants to be successful, needs to maximize price vs sales to maximize profits. If they can raise their price while still filling the park then that is what they need to do. Econ 101. They aren't running a charity. If they have shareholders, then they are legally required to do so, as I understand it.

Thanks, I understand business fundamentals. I also have seen lots of spaces open in places. Empty lots don’t bring in income either. It’s a balancing act. If I owned an RV park I would rather be a little cheaper, stay full and build a waiting list. 

22 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Try not to take this the wrong way, you have not posted one suggestion, but you seem to like to ridicule people who are trying to be helpful

I am sorry that you feel that way. Since I have not spent time in FL for several years, any suggestions that I might make of parks to stay in would likely be different today. What I can suggest to you is that you can get a good feel for the cost of parks and what others think of them by visiting RV Life Campgrounds and check out the parks in areas that interest you. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

I am sorry that you feel that way. Since I have not spent time in FL for several years, any suggestions that I might make of parks to stay in would likely be different today. What I can suggest to you is that you can get a good feel for the cost of parks and what others think of them by visiting RV Life Campgrounds and check out the parks in areas that interest you. 

I use that resource and have posted to it for 7 years. More than 42000 people have liked my posts. Sometimes I don’t post about a jewel that I have found as I don’t want the word to get out. But there are thousands of campgrounds in Florida. I tried to make my field of research narrower. I’m investigating every campground suggested. What they offer, the cost of them, the activities, proximity to stores and other business, cell signal strengths, OTA tv and monthly temp and precipitation tables for starters. I’m planning on wintering there for 4 months, so I want it to get it right. I don’t mind spending more money for things that offer more. I have spent $2200 a month at one place. I way the value in my head and even go with my gut. 
If you have nothing to contribute to a question is fine, that is what a community is about. We have people from all different walks of life here. And not saying that you don’t have vast knowledge about camping. 

Edited by rynosback

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

I'll have to defend Kirk here. He always tries to be helpful and I have never noticed him being overly critical.

As for demand curves, people do not always get the right balance. Most park owners have never taken econ or a business class:

Demand curves

I would bet a lot of Mom and Pop campgrounds do this more because they enjoy being around people and hospitality. If it pays their bills and makes a nest egg, they are happy. Not all campgrounds are greedy corporations. Even though they are buying them up. 
Back to the topic of this post, suggestions of Florida campgrounds. 

rynosback,

Well put question and you got some good answers. We never did anywhere East of the Mississippi when we full timed for seven years. Otherwise I'd tell you what parks I'd been to with what I thought were reasonable because I thought they had the most bang for the buck. If you dive/snorkel the John Pinnecamp underwater park at Key Largo is amazing and you could snorkel and be close to shore and still see all kinds of wildlife in the 80s. My cousin still lives in Boca but my grandmother and aunt are gone who we visited there many times to teach Lynda and the kids to snorkel. So from my experience there more than 30 years ago, if the reef is still healthy and you get there or leave in good swimming weather, we loved it. I was racquetball back then.

But as far as reasonably priced parks, your actual question, sorry bud, I can't help with your original question.

Safe travels guys!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I remember some quite reasonable Rv parks South of Tallahassee, but you're gonna get cold. Down the center of S. FL are also some reasonable RV parks, but you're gonna be 50 miles from a large city and beaches.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I have given up on South Florida RV spots due to price. I looked for monthly rates during winter below West Palm Beach. I have seen them as high as $3,000 per month and there are many at $2,000 per month. When I respond that the price is to high for me I am told that is the current market. Good Luck

5 hours ago, whj469 said:

I have given up on South Florida RV spots due to price. I looked for monthly rates during winter below West Palm Beach. I have seen them as high as $3,000 per month and there are many at $2,000 per month. When I respond that the price is to high for me I am told that is the current market. Good Luck

Yup, when developers are paying over one million dollars for 1/2 acre in the urban corroders in S. FL, it's hard to justify lowering RV park prices yet remain in business. (Urban corroders are defined as the 20 miles from coastline.)

2022 was our last winter in Ft. Myers Beach FL for the same reason. We paid $1,300/month X 4 months for a 40'x25' FHU lot. Across the street that RV park was $2K/month. Weekly rates were higher.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, whj469 said:

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 12:21 PM, k4rs said:

I believe that the co-op where I live meets your requirements.  The only exception is the pickle ball and there is a court at the city park 2 blocks away.  Due to the fact that more park models go in every year, the number of vacant lots available to rent is going down.   We have also had some very large increases in utility fees and taxes.  In spite of this, rents are currently in $700 to $800 range (prices are set by the individual lot owners).   Most lots are rented a year in advance so it is probably too late to find something for this winter.

https://www.avionpalms.org/?page_id=323

Safe Travels and Happy New Year...

I just noticed I probably emailed you. 🤣🤣
Do you own lot 26? Do owners update the calendar if it is rented or not? As there are 15 current lots open for next Winter right now. Including yours. 😉

Edited by rynosback

Yes, we own lot 26.  It is available next year.  We have one person in the park who updates the listing but unfortunately not all owners keep her informed in a timely manner.  One lot shows available even though it is permanently rented.  Today has been very busy so I have not checked email since early this morning.  I guess I better mosey into the office and reply. :D

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio