Ultra Tow hitch lock.

lappir

My new to me 2007 GL 1800 has a nice hitch at the back, but I don't need it. Problem is there is an Ultra Tow lock holding the thing in place. I don't want to have to remove the entire hitch just to get the hitch ball away from my ankles. Found that Northern Tool sells them and had a question option. Sent the question a few minutes ago so no answers yet. Has anyone tried to cut one of them? Not much room under there so a hot wrench is out of the question. Not sure how many blades on the Sawzall would be required. The pin rotates very freely so that probably won't work any way and I'm sure the steel is well hardened. 

Wish me luck. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Slip a piece of pipe over the lock. lean into it, pop! Lock defeated. Wherever the key grabs is a weak point, and the hardening the crossshaft gets makes it brittle.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

6 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Slip a piece of pipe over the lock. lean into it, pop! Lock defeated. Wherever the key grabs is a weak point, and the hardening the crossshaft gets makes it brittle.

Thanks, not sure if I can get anything in there long enough to "POP" it. Everything except the hitch ball is under the rear fender and side case tupperware. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

You could call a locksmith. Or take a chisel and destroy the key tumbler by hammering the chisel into the key way with a five pound sledge hammer until it comes out in pieces.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/4/2022 at 3:44 AM, lappir said:

Thanks, not sure if I can get anything in there long enough to "POP" it. Everything except the hitch ball is under the rear fender and side case tupperware. 

Rod

If you can get a key in there, you can get a short piece of pipe on it. Prepare to be underwhelmed with how robust these locks are.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Well, I finally got the bike to the shop and as everyone said the lock is totally useless in protecting anything. I did have to take the back panel off to get enough room to put something on the lock, first it was a short section of pipe and then a lift back with a tire iron. Didn't even pop, just sort of gave away. 

Thanks for all the replies. This will be my last comment on the post. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800