Air leak..ugh

trimster

So, leaking air from the hose in the middle of this photo. It's on the firewall.

EsmkXxtl.jpg

I've pulled it, cut the end to fresh hose, still leaks. This fitting is part of the housing I think.

Thoughts on fixing it appreciated. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

10 minutes ago, trimster said:

So, leaking air from the hose in the middle of this photo. It's on the firewall.

EsmkXxtl.jpg

I've pulled it, cut the end to fresh hose, still leaks. This fitting is part of the housing I think.

Thoughts on fixing it appreciated. 

How did you cut the hose...razor?  The hose cut needs to be absolutely clean with no burs and straight as an arrow.  You need to push the hose completely 8nto the fitting and make sure that the collar is pulled back completely. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

Robert,  while you have the hose out, take a pick and remove the o-ring.  I'll bet dollars to doughnuts it comes out in pieces.  Fish a new o-ring out of your air-line repair kit and re-assemble.  Life will be good.

What spindrift said about not having burrs is good.  A smooth cut lessens the chance of a nick in the o-ring. The needs to be clean, but square isn't a biggie.  There was a discussion on this several months back.  Scrap posted the actual recommendations of the manufacturers.  It was surprising how far out of square the tolerances were.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

May need to replace the oring on the inside of the fitting.  They do wear out and/or they can be worn down by the tubing.  They will have some memory, both the tubing and the oring.

Can sometimes pick those up at a hose supplier or the resource guide has #s available to order by amazon etc.

Marcel

3 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

May need to replace the oring on the inside of the fitting.  They do wear out and/or they can be worn down by the tubing.  They will have some memory, both the tubing and the oring.

Can sometimes pick those up at a hose supplier or the resource guide has #s available to order by amazon etc.

Is the O-ring fitted on the inner connector tube? 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Pulled the offending line. Squared the end and buffed it smooth with 1200 grit sandpaper.

Dug around in inside the fitting as best I could with a dental pick. No bits and pieces came out.

Put on a new o-ring. Shoved the line in a soundly as I could. Working in that mess of airlines is very low on the fun-meter.

Air leak persists but a lower level. The system will go from full pressure to 60 lbs in about 45 min. Full leak out in an hour or so. Frustrating. Not sure it can be stopped at this point.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Robert,  To replace the o-ring, pull out the collet with a pliers or such, use a small pic or dental tool to extract old o-ring, replace w/ new o-ring, re-install collet, insert line.  should be good to go.  Sometimes, getting the collet out can be a bugger.  If it still leaks, you likely have a bit of the old o-ring hiding in there.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

32 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Robert,  To replace the o-ring, pull out the collet with a pliers or such, use a small pic or dental tool to extract old o-ring, replace w/ new o-ring, re-install collet, insert line.  should be good to go.  Sometimes, getting the collet out can be a bugger.  If it still leaks, you likely have a bit of the old o-ring hiding in there.

Will try that tomorrow. Hoping I don't bugger up the collet.

I guess I'll see how they are made when it comes out, but I fail to understand (until I see it out) how they lock in and still have the ability to be removed. Inquiring minds will be enlightened... or the part will just break.

I'll keep you all posted and I do appreciate the help on this.

Next up, the rotofilter seal replacement. Other than messy, that should be easier.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Don't understand how you could put in a new o-ring without removing the collet.  The collet has fingers that will collapse when there is no line inserted.  It comes out fairly easy.  Just rock it a little while gently pulling. 

I have some collets that were already broken and had to be replaced.  

This video will help:  quick connect air line fittings repair - Video Search Results (yahoo.com)

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

7 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Don't understand how you could put in a new o-ring without removing the collet.  The collet has fingers that will collapse when there is no line inserted.  It comes out fairly easy.  Just rock it a little while gently pulling. 

I have some collets that were already broken and had to be replaced.  

This video will help:  quick connect air line fittings repair - Video Search Results (yahoo.com)

Thanks for finding that video. I see now.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Use needle nose pliers and pull the collet straight out. DO NOT DROP it. They are a bugger to find. That is why I carry spares. Then fish out the old O ring. I have never managed to not take it out in pieces

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Might try this to clear all the pieces and trash.  Remove the collet and as much of the o-ring seen.  Wear googles!   Fire up the truck and put your finger over the hole.  When you can't hold it anymore, remove finger.  See what blasts out. 🙂

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Soooo, partial success.  3 air lines are leak free. One, the biggest leak persists. I'm thinking I'm going to get a new section of air line hose. These are a royal pain for something so simple. 

Are the collets generic? Maybe I should replace that as well.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

3 minutes ago, trimster said:

Soooo, partial success.  3 air lines are leak free. One, the biggest leak persists. I'm thinking I'm going to get a new section of air line hose. These are a royal pain for something so simple. 

Yes, they are.  Might also buy some replacement fittings too.  Not a bad thing to have in your spares kit.  Principally 3 different sizes are used.  1/4", 3/8" and 1/2".  1/4" is most common so having some splices on hand a good idea esp in a break down situation where a line might get snagged or caught while moving and line gets damaged in such a way that it ruins some of the tubing.  Can then add some length to the original after cutting it back to good tubing.  Also good idea to have some tubing too.  A good idea to use DOT approved stuff.

Marcel

So new line. And it still leaks. Worse actually. Waiting for it to leak down and I'll pull the firewall fitting apart ...again. About the 10th time reaching into that rats nest of stiff tubes.

Can't get collets. Anyone have a source for those, would appreciate it.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Pulled it appart again. New o-ring. Still leaks, badly.

I'm out of options I guess.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Without being there, I don't know where to begin.  Brainstorming here. 

1. Perhaps the wrong size o-ring?  Make sure it slides over the tube with minimal expansion but no air gap either.

2. Tube not going in far enough?  Remove the collet and the o-ring.  Push the tube into the hole and mark the tube where you can see how far it penetrates the hole.   Re-insert parts and try again. Tube should go in the same amount as test fit.

3.  No seal around the o-ring on the pass-through hole vs around the tube?  More cleaning.  

I assume the leaking tube is the green one in your picture on the original post.  That connection looks significantly different than the two below it.  Is that black connector removable?  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

Silly question, but did you find genuine air line o-rings, or generic rings from the auto supply?  There's a difference.

On our Volvo, I found it easiest to use a deep well socket and remove the fitting from the manifold on the firewall.  Get it out into the light where you can see what's going on.  But that's just me, with old eyes and sausages for fingers.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

Without being there, I don't know where to begin.  Brainstorming here. 

1. Perhaps the wrong size o-ring?  Make sure it slides over the tube with minimal expansion but no air gap either.

2. Tube not going in far enough?  Remove the collet and the o-ring.  Push the tube into the hole and mark the tube where you can see how far it penetrates the hole.   Re-insert parts and try again. Tube should go in the same amount as test fit.

3.  No seal around the o-ring on the pass-through hole vs around the tube?  More cleaning.  

I assume the leaking tube is the green one in your picture on the original post.  That connection looks significantly different than the two below it.  Is that black connector removable?  

Good points.

All that size fittings on the manifold are the same. All o-rings I removed were identical. The o-rings I used to replace the stock ones are generic and were purchased using the part numbers within the great link to a previous thread you provided.

All other fittings sealed with these o-rings accept this one.

Unfortunately there is no way to remove the quick connect fitting. It's molded into the manifold. Bad design. The collet and o-ring are the only parts that can be removed.

I can see clearly inside the connector and it's clean inside.

I'll do the mark-the-tube trick when I get back to this project tomorrow. 

Again, really appreciate the help here. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Two points.. One, is that the passthrough manifold? Those are known to fail. The entire manifold may be due for replacement. Two, use some lubrication on the line when pushing the line back in. Anything works, spit is right there and handy. (Wish I'd known that earlier..) Jay

16 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Two points.. One, is that the passthrough manifold? Those are known to fail. The entire manifold may be due for replacement. Two, use some lubrication on the line when pushing the line back in. Anything works, spit is right there and handy. (Wish I'd known that earlier..) Jay

Yes. Pass through.

I'd thought about a bit of lube. I'll try that with the next 'fiddling' session .

I'd read comments on another post elsewhere, where the person solved the leak with 2 washers, stacked. Worth the try and easy to remove the second if it does not work.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg