Building up my tools for the Semi........

Vegas Teacher

Most you have probably read my post about being an apprentice this summer in a Diesel repair shop. I know after I am done I will have learned a lot, but will need tools to do the work. I have a lot of tools but what are some of the little things that get over looked or some of the large tools that I might need to save for. At the top of my list is a 1 inch impact (pneumatic) and a compressor that can drive it. I would like to get the 1 inch Milwaukee, but cordless vs. air compressor I am guessing is not much of a comparison but I could be wrong. I have also seen that Harbor has a 3/4 inch cordless. Has anybody used it? Or should I just buy Snap On Tools or do they just have a name?

Thanks!!!!!

Vegas Teacher,

Cory O - Spring Brake starts in 2 hours!!!!! 

Don't buy anything until you've spent the summer learning what you need, v. what you want.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

As rickeieio said....

Once that's done I would suggest cordless for power tools. Quieter, more convenient, can use them anywhere(so long as you have a charged battery),  no air hoses to trip over, and more power (usually...my 1/2" Milwaukee has more torque than a lot of 1 inch air guns) A 1 inch impact needs a monster compressor if you are doing more than a couple nuts at a time, otherwise you are always waiting for pressure to build.

In my opinion you don't need to buy Snap-on, Mac, etc if you are using them to make a living, just buy good quality. There's a reason Harbor Freight is cheap to buy.

When you start buying tools, avoid Harbor Freight unless you get their Icon line. Look online at sites like Tooltopia.com and take a long hard look at alternate brands. A prime example is Gear Wrench. They make excellent ratcheting wrenches. Amother excellent line of tools would include SK tools.  Spend the money on a GOOD set of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and ratchets and a good torque wrench.

As far as tools that can be of a lessor quality, sockets, extentions and less often used tools like snap ring pliers can be cheaper as they can either be replaced easily or or seldom used.

Other tool lines to look at are the tool truck secondary lines. That would be Bluepoint by Snap-on or Silver Eagle by Matco as an example.

Look for tools with a lifetime warranty as you WILL break them if you are pushing things. Look at the go to tools the other people in the shop are using all of the time and make those your first purchases.

One rule to remember if you really get into this though, you borrow a tool once, no problem. You borrow it again, you need to buy one. You borrow a tool and break it, you replace it.

NEVER assume you can borrow tools by going over and getting it out of someone's box without asking, the beat down you will get from some guys is not worth the trip to the emergency room. Those tools are how they make a living.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Porky makes a great point.  An unnamed friend on this forum is the SnapOn guru and has one or two of just about everything they make.  His shop is impressive to say the least.  But he uses those tools all the time, not for a living, but for his hobby and enjoyment.  Second, he can afford them and he considers them top of the line.  I can’t afford a garage full of SnapOn so I have a mix of “lesser” brands but they serve me well.  Kobalt, Craftsman, Gearwrench, Dewalt, Porter Cable, but I’m using them occasionally and they get the job done.  I recently bought a set of Ikon swivel, ratchet wrenches from Harbor Freight.  Work fine for me.  So let the job and usage dictate the needs.  BTW at the upcoming ECR I have scheduled an interactive seminar which I titled “Tool Time” (catchy huh?😊) to discuss this very topic….what should you carry at minimum on your truck for majority of contingencies vs. maximums.  Also hopefully will discuss brands that work and those that don’t.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

When you start buying tools, avoid Harbor Freight unless you get their Icon line. Look online at sites like Tooltopia.com and take a long hard look at alternate brands. A prime example is Gear Wrench. They make excellent ratcheting wrenches. Amother excellent line of tools would include SK tools.  Spend the money on a GOOD set of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers and ratchets and a good torque wrench.

As far as tools that can be of a lessor quality, sockets, extentions and less often used tools like snap ring pliers can be cheaper as they can either be replaced easily or or seldom used.

Other tool lines to look at are the tool truck secondary lines. That would be Bluepoint by Snap-on or Silver Eagle by Matco as an example.

Look for tools with a lifetime warranty as you WILL break them if you are pushing things. Look at the go to tools the other people in the shop are using all of the time and make those your first purchases.

One rule to remember if you really get into this though, you borrow a tool once, no problem. You borrow it again, you need to buy one. You borrow a tool and break it, you replace it.

NEVER assume you can borrow tools by going over and getting it out of someone's box without asking, the beat down you will get from some guys is not worth the trip to the emergency room. Those tools are how they make a living.

And look who shows up with some sage advice. 🤗🤗

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

From an ex Snap-on tool dealer what GeorgiaHybrid said has a lot of wisdom.

I would add to not fall for the lifetime warranty of lessor brands. In the long run only a few will be around for a lifetime.

Son-in-law has a $500k building to work on $500k combines with $10k   worth of cheep tools. I don't under stand.

Good tools are cheep compared to paying $150 per hour for service.  Look on ebay an you will see snap-on tools hold their value very well.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

I will say that Snap On and other top quality brands are nice to have, but at a high price.  When I started into wrenching over 45 yrs ago I bought the biggest set of Craftsmen tools they had.  At $2000 that was a big set if I recall over 1000 pieces and up to 3/4 drive.  I also bought a roll around tool box for $1000.  So for an apprentice starting out at $7.00 an hr, that was a lot.  But for Snap On that would have been well over $15,000 if not more.
After using them daily for 25 yrs (last 20 yrs was management) I still have and use those same tools in my home shop today.  Needless to say, I got a lot of ribbing from the other mechanics that had Snap On tools.  My response to them was, I can buy an entire set of Craftsman wrenches to only one Snap On wrench.  Call me cheap, I say I'm thrifty.
So as being a mechanic, I like to have tools with me at all times while in my 25 yr old Pontoon boat, my Dune Buggy ( 1959 tub and 1972 transaxle and engine) and 21 yr old HDT.  So in all of these I have tools from Harbor Freight "I call them throw away tools".  Just last week while driving the Dune Buggy, it quit shifting, with the tools I had I was able to get to the shift linkage.  Found stripped set bolt, wasn't able to fix it, but was able to kick it out of gear and called wife to bring truck which had tow bar in the back and towed it home, yep it breaks down a lot, but fun to drive.
Sooooo after typing this lengthy post, back to your question (what tools to buy).  If I remember you saying this is a volunteer and not a paying position.  If it were me before buying a lot of tools, I would go in and see what jobs they will have you doing.  Probably starting out as a grease monkey, don't think they will have you do inframes for awhile, so that will determine what tools you will need.
So have fun and learn a lot.............................

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

I will add one more thing to think about, hold off of any power tools for a bit. Learn with hand tools to develop a feel for loosening and tightening bolts. You also need to learn how parts fit together and why. Slow and steady to learn instead of ripping thru in a hurry.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I've been a mechanical contractor for over 30 years and while I have a mix of different brands of tools from Snap-On/Mac/Matco to Harbor Freight, my criteria in selecting them has always been  buy for the intended purpose.

As an example, I used to install pallet racking in LARGE warehouses and some of what we installed used 1/2" structural hardware as in bolts and Whiz nuts.  After the assembly process was completed it was necessary to go back with 1/2" electric impacts(Black & Decker now DeWalt outperformed the rest) and tighten all the fastners.  I tested all the above mentioned brands of impact sockets and found Harbor Freights 1/2"D-3/4" sockets outperformed the rest without it even being close.  Keep in mind we tightened 1/2" bolts for 10-12 hours a day, many days in a row, and continously during those days.  Those guns and sockets would get hot but the combination of the B&D with the HF sockets have worked for me for over 20 years.  I bought a bunch of spare sockets back then and some are still in their packaging as the original sockets are still being used today.

Gotta field test the tools and decide for yourself where that VALUE scale fits for you.

Marcel

4 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Learn with hand tools to develop a feel for loosening and tightening bolts

THAT is the best comment I've seen in a long time.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Harbor freight 1/2-inch drive impact sockets are actually really good. We literally have doubles of every size scattered between the shop and service truck. They do not get used lightly. The braker bar is not very good. It flexes too much. We also have the one-inch Milwaukee impact. That thing is awesome. However, when we are traveling, I just take the torque amplifier, I got at a farm show for $75. It works so well my 5-year-old could crank it to bust lug nuts loose.

All my wrenches are either craftsman or China. No brand name just says China. My personal toolbox is full of chrome craftsman sockets. When sears shut down, I bought their ultimate socket set. It included every size available for 1/4 3/8 and 1/2 drive. 6- and 12-point deep and short. I just throw a good assortment in the truck along with a few screw drivers. Electric tape, Teflon tape, duct tape, Tire plug kit, Hose clamp assortment. wire splice and plugs, plenty of wire ties, torx drivers, 20-ton bottle jack from harbor freight and when I don't forget it, I have my Ryobi tool kit. Drill, saws all, impact driver etc. It's not near as good as the Milwaukee stuff we have but it does the job. It's just slower and it was cheap, I figure if they grew legs and walk away, I'm not out much. I paid the same for the whole Ryobi kit as one Milwaukee drill cost.

Lastly, I have an Ingersoll rand air impact. I run off the truck air. It's just good enough after I use the torque amplifier to bust the lugs loose then the little impact will spin them off. When I tighten them down, I have an inch drive breaker bar and 3-foot cheater bar with my 250 lbs. on the end. Gets them tight enough to get me to the next shop to torque. I haven't had to do that on the road yet. But I did it at home to see if it could be done. 

In summery I have enough tools to fix what I know how to fix and to get out of a jam. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

46 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

In summery I have enough tools to fix what I know how to fix and to get out of a jam.

It goes back to the old saying, "Anyone can work with tools, but a mechanic can work without them."  

One of the best mechanics I've known had a couple of small toolboxes in his 1/2 ton pickup.  The small toolboxes that have a handle on top.  That's it. No other big trays, power tools etc.  He was amazing, in his imagination to repair or equipment.

At my age, I'm trying to quit buying tools.  I'd rather invest the money in fuel and campground fees.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN