conversion of water toilet to composting

dragonfly

You can turn any toilet into a bucket toilet simply by lining the bowl with a plastic bag. After use, tie off the bag, stash it in a sealable bag, then place a new liner. When the sealable bag gets full, put it in the trash. It's not a composting system but it sure does save water if that's your goal.

Linda

Depending on the trash you put it in PLease don't do that.  We had someone doing similar on our forest putting them in the bear proof cans.  Not a good thing if you have to pull the trash and a bag tears or rodents, bears etc happen to tear it. I found one once where they bagged the urine in like zip lock baggies. Thank goodness it was on top and easy to spot when I opened the back of the bear proof. 

After looking at the floorplan and the specs for the Rockwood you have, as well as a number of composting toilets that are available, I think that it could be done but would probably be a major undertaking for most of us and very expensive to do if taken to an RV repair shop to have done. The floor plan that I am looking at doesn't list the dimensions of the toilet space but you could gain some needed space by removal of the linen storage shown in it. I looked at 3 different brands, the Poo Pod, the OGO and the Nature's Own and there seem to be advantages and disadvantages to each. This is a conversion that I have not seen done in a factory built RV but I have seen at least one RV that comes with one and I have also seen them in several home built RVs. Being in the late stages of my RV experience, I don't expect to ever have one myself but with our world becoming more environmentally aware, I do expect to see more of them in the future. If you do this project, I think that it could be very interesting and informative to members of these forums so please do update us on what you choose to do. 

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

Depending on the trash you put it in PLease don't do that.  We had someone doing similar on our forest putting them in the bear proof cans.  Not a good thing if you have to pull the trash and a bag tears or rodents, bears etc happen to tear it. I found one once where they bagged the urine in like zip lock baggies. Thank goodness it was on top and easy to spot when I opened the back of the bear proof. 

How is that any different than diapers?

Linda

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Diapers are not usually runny and easy to splash around. Not that they are a joy either.

Those who have done it know to separate the solids from the liquids. The liquids are easily disposed of almost anywhere. I have seen reports of evaporating urine and using the minerals that remain for various needs. 

Human and animal waste has been handled by Mother Nature for ever. The problem is when you put too many of any in a confined space and it becomes a problem. 

I'd like to find a business that has Incinerating Toilets to view so I can see the product and decide if they would work for me. 

Rod

3 hours ago, lappir said:

Those who have done it know to separate the solids from the liquids.

One woman I know sorts, pouring the liquids into an old detergent bottle. Only the solids go into the bag which gets put into a sealable bag before disposal. Another puts the TP in with everything which tends to soak up the liquids. Another throws her used paper towels in as well. Composting toilets have two compartments to automatically sort solids from liquids but those liquids still need to be disposed of somehow. There are lots of ways to safely use non-flush toilets. There's even a waterless toilet now that bags your stuff right in the toilet itself until you empty the whole collection: https://dry-flush.com

Linda

• 1 month later...

Buy an off-the-shelf one with a diverter. We've used both AirHead and Nature's Head composting toilets. We had the AirHead in our truck camper, and now have the Nature's Head in our class A. They both have pros and cons, but they are close enough that I'd just choose one based on the fitment in the existing bathroom/ toilet space you have. Both are leagues ahead of most homemade options, even though they're essentially glorified buckets with clever and convenient features added on.

Both use simple mounting brackets you screw through the floor, and a small hose you run through an egress wall or floor. You have to cap off your existing water line. There should be nothing specific to your Forest River that you need to consider, as long as your bathroom is located in an easy location to run the exhaust hose and 12V (for the fan) to.

We know several people who use them and none of them regret their decision. We sure don't - they're a game changer for dry camping as you aren't wasting freshwater to flush, and you can reclaim your black tank as an additional grey tank.

Both of the toilets mentioned have a ~2gal liquids tank that needs to be emptied every day or two with full-time couple's use, and a solids tank that needs to be emptied about once a month. I've found that the liquids smell far worse than the solids, though neither smell at all when the toilet is assembled. Regarding the post about tossing the solids in the trash - you end up with a solids bin that isn't runny or messy at all - at least in our experience - and is easy to transition into a couple trash bags (we double bag, just in case) without any mess.

Edited by James S