conversion of water toilet to composting

dragonfly

You can turn any toilet into a bucket toilet simply by lining the bowl with a plastic bag. After use, tie off the bag, stash it in a sealable bag, then place a new liner. When the sealable bag gets full, put it in the trash. It's not a composting system but it sure does save water if that's your goal.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Depending on the trash you put it in PLease don't do that.  We had someone doing similar on our forest putting them in the bear proof cans.  Not a good thing if you have to pull the trash and a bag tears or rodents, bears etc happen to tear it. I found one once where they bagged the urine in like zip lock baggies. Thank goodness it was on top and easy to spot when I opened the back of the bear proof. 

After looking at the floorplan and the specs for the Rockwood you have, as well as a number of composting toilets that are available, I think that it could be done but would probably be a major undertaking for most of us and very expensive to do if taken to an RV repair shop to have done. The floor plan that I am looking at doesn't list the dimensions of the toilet space but you could gain some needed space by removal of the linen storage shown in it. I looked at 3 different brands, the Poo Pod, the OGO and the Nature's Own and there seem to be advantages and disadvantages to each. This is a conversion that I have not seen done in a factory built RV but I have seen at least one RV that comes with one and I have also seen them in several home built RVs. Being in the late stages of my RV experience, I don't expect to ever have one myself but with our world becoming more environmentally aware, I do expect to see more of them in the future. If you do this project, I think that it could be very interesting and informative to members of these forums so please do update us on what you choose to do. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

16 hours ago, bigjim said:

Depending on the trash you put it in PLease don't do that.  We had someone doing similar on our forest putting them in the bear proof cans.  Not a good thing if you have to pull the trash and a bag tears or rodents, bears etc happen to tear it. I found one once where they bagged the urine in like zip lock baggies. Thank goodness it was on top and easy to spot when I opened the back of the bear proof. 

How is that any different than diapers?

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

Diapers are not usually runny and easy to splash around. Not that they are a joy either.

Those who have done it know to separate the solids from the liquids. The liquids are easily disposed of almost anywhere. I have seen reports of evaporating urine and using the minerals that remain for various needs. 

Human and animal waste has been handled by Mother Nature for ever. The problem is when you put too many of any in a confined space and it becomes a problem. 

I'd like to find a business that has Incinerating Toilets to view so I can see the product and decide if they would work for me. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 hours ago, lappir said:

Those who have done it know to separate the solids from the liquids.

One woman I know sorts, pouring the liquids into an old detergent bottle. Only the solids go into the bag which gets put into a sealable bag before disposal. Another puts the TP in with everything which tends to soak up the liquids. Another throws her used paper towels in as well. Composting toilets have two compartments to automatically sort solids from liquids but those liquids still need to be disposed of somehow. There are lots of ways to safely use non-flush toilets. There's even a waterless toilet now that bags your stuff right in the toilet itself until you empty the whole collection: https://dry-flush.com

Linda

• 1 month later...

Buy an off-the-shelf one with a diverter. We've used both AirHead and Nature's Head composting toilets. We had the AirHead in our truck camper, and now have the Nature's Head in our class A. They both have pros and cons, but they are close enough that I'd just choose one based on the fitment in the existing bathroom/ toilet space you have. Both are leagues ahead of most homemade options, even though they're essentially glorified buckets with clever and convenient features added on.

Both use simple mounting brackets you screw through the floor, and a small hose you run through an egress wall or floor. You have to cap off your existing water line. There should be nothing specific to your Forest River that you need to consider, as long as your bathroom is located in an easy location to run the exhaust hose and 12V (for the fan) to.

We know several people who use them and none of them regret their decision. We sure don't - they're a game changer for dry camping as you aren't wasting freshwater to flush, and you can reclaim your black tank as an additional grey tank.

Both of the toilets mentioned have a ~2gal liquids tank that needs to be emptied every day or two with full-time couple's use, and a solids tank that needs to be emptied about once a month. I've found that the liquids smell far worse than the solids, though neither smell at all when the toilet is assembled. Regarding the post about tossing the solids in the trash - you end up with a solids bin that isn't runny or messy at all - at least in our experience - and is easy to transition into a couple trash bags (we double bag, just in case) without any mess.

Edited by James S

2000 Country Coach Magna, 4380W solar, 38kWh 48V LiFePO4 inverter bank, 450AH AGM 12V house bank

Meticulously redesigned and upgraded as a full-time off-grid residence

2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, all grown up

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Dryflush I hear is expensive due to the priority bags you use 

The cartridges for the Laveo system mentioned in the article cost about $15 each. Each one can handle 15-17 flushes, so the cost is about $1 per flush.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

31 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

so the cost is about $1 per flush.

More than I'd pay for my morning constitutional. Whole lifetime of free "deposits", but still...

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The cartridges for the Laveo system mentioned in the article cost about $15 each. Each one can handle 15-17 flushes, so the cost is about $1 per flush.

I wonder if there are other bags that would work?

Linda Sand

6 hours ago, sandsys said:

I wonder if there are other bags that would work?

Linda Sand

The bags are part of a cartridge that uses a twisting motion to seal each flush, and the entire cartridge is disposed of when full. I've linked a couple of videos below that show more clearly how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ogLEdE04Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fH73zu5p0

Dutch

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

The bags are part of a cartridge that uses a twisting motion to seal each flush, and the entire cartridge is disposed of when full. I've linked a couple of videos below that show more clearly how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2ogLEdE04Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6fH73zu5p0

So, it's basically like a bucket toilet if you tied off the used part of the bag after each use. But easier to do.

Have these been around long enough to know how well they hold up?

Linda

7 hours ago, sandsys said:

So, it's basically like a bucket toilet if you tied off the used part of the bag after each use. But easier to do.

Have these been around long enough to know how well they hold up?

Linda

Yes, that's the basic idea. I have no idea how long this type of toilet has existed.

Dutch

7 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Yes, that's the basic idea. I have no idea how long this type of toilet has existed.

It's sort of like the "Diaper Genie" I remember being advertised  the 1990's. Not sure when someone decided to put a toilet lid on one, but would imagine it was after that. Of course it could have been before Mr. John Hall decided to create it for diapers. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

9 hours ago, lappir said:

It's sort of like the "Diaper Genie" I remember being advertised  the 1990's. Not sure when someone decided to put a toilet lid on one, but would imagine it was after that. Of course it could have been before Mr. John Hall decided to create it for diapers. 

I read about some people using a short bucket with Walmart type bags in combination with a Diaper Genie. Everyone finds what works best for them.

Linda

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/6/2022 at 12:30 PM, sandsys said:

You can turn any toilet into a bucket toilet simply by lining the bowl with a plastic bag. After use, tie off the bag, stash it in a sealable bag, then place a new liner. When the sealable bag gets full, put it in the trash. It's not a composting system but it sure does save water if that's your goal.

Linda

Teh other thing to do is to take the poop baggie to a gas station and dump the contents in their flush toilet. I have seen people also use a bottle for urine, and then in the morning "secretly" water plants with the urine, which I don't recommend if you're in a commercial campground.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

I've had a Natures Head for over a year now and won't ever go back to a black tank. 

The Coconut Coir works great and is very easy to use. I have not tried the Peet Moss. 

Unfortunately I had a couple visits as an inpatient in the Hospital this year and came home with two "Urinals", they work so much better than the laundry soap bottles I had been using. I found the best way to rid a location of the "Thistle" plant is to apply undiluted urine. In a day or two (depending on the rain) they shrivel up and die. It's my gift to those who walk bare foot. 

At one time I tried just collecting the liquid in the black tank, but then when I emptied there was a very noticeable Ammonia odor.   I now just let the tanks drain and try to flush any urine through the line with a shower or washing dishes after dumping. 

Pouring urine in one spot all the time is not good after the "Thistle" is gone I find another one. Sometimes it's a hike. 

2007 Honda GL 1800