Work to be done on the 780

Vegas Teacher

Howdy all!!!!! 

There are 12 days left until spring break 2022 and 39 days left of school!!!!

So I am getting work done on the 780, I am nearing the end of the finish line of a 5 year marathon fixing the semi up on a teachers salary and budget. I am getting new cab bushings put on, cab makes a horrible noise when I come to a stop and the bushings were thrashed. Steering is getting tightened, radiator was cracked so a new one was installed and some kind of cup is being put on my injectors so it starts more easily. Plus a lot of little things like chasing more air leaks around the transmission. Then I am taking it to Kansas to let RVH do work on the bed. Jack is a really great person, I have enjoyed my visits with him the past two summers when I went home to visit my family in Pittsburg Kansas. Jack's shop is only a 30 minute + or - a few minutes from my home I grew up in.

So when I post stuff that is being done, inevitably somebody says if you turned your own wrenches it would be a lot cheaper, problem is I really don't know what I am doing. So the last time I was at the shop talking with my mechanic and the two guys that work for him I asked if he ever had an apprentice. I told him in the summer I am always looking for something to do about 2 weeks after I get out of school, and that I was not looking for a paycheck. I just want to learn how to work on these big rigs. I told him I would be happy to start with cleaning the parking lot, running to parts stores and putting X# of gallons of oil and simple things in trucks for them. They thought it sounded like a win / win situation. I get to learn, I am not looking for money and they get somebody to help do tasks they needed done without them having to get away from the shop. So we will see how it all works out, maybe I will even  be able to comment on threads that are about repairs after this coming summer.

Later,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher. 

"problem is I really don't know what I am doing."

You have LOTS of company with that Cory  ;)

You know your limits, get expert help when needed and, are very willing to learn. That's a GREAT combination. 

Once your rig is the way you want it, it'll run for years with basic maintenance. After your "apprenticeship" there'll be a LOT more stuff you'll feel confident in handling yourself.  Slow and steady wins the race.

Impressive stuff!  Saving for the hardware, and learning and knowing where to find answers, is what you have been doing all along and doing it well.  Now you have found a way to get the knowledge you might be lacking.  My hat is off to you.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

5 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

"problem is I really don't know what I am doing."

You have LOTS of company with that Cory  ;)

You know your limits, get expert help when needed and, are very willing to learn. That's a GREAT combination. 

Once your rig is the way you want it, it'll run for years with basic maintenance. After your "apprenticeship" there'll be a LOT more stuff you'll feel confident in handling yourself.  Slow and steady wins the race.

I keep telling myself just that, slow and steady...... I just want to be like rhe rest of the guys on here talking abut the great trip they just took with their 45 foot toy hauler and side by side in tow.... yes I want to learn very badly. My grandpa was an excellent mechanic, he worked for Bowing during WWII building airplane engines. When he was drafted they asked him if he had any skills, he owned his own full service, service station. He told them he was a mechanic and was sent to Wichta Ks, for the duration of the war. Any by the time my mom and dad got married and I got old enough to appreciate that kind of stuff he was to old to do much more than the basics. So I missed out on that stuff. My dad did not like it at all and did not encourage me to learn. So now I am 50 and am starting to learn.....

2 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Impressive stuff!  Saving for the hardware, and learning and knowing where to find answers, is what you have been doing all along and doing it well.  Now you have found a way to get the knowledge you might be lacking.  My hat is off to you.

Thanks my friend! I can't wait until June to put on a pair of workbooks and a blue jumpsuit with my name on it, get some grease on my hands and my knuckles skinned. Maybe our paths will cross some day.

Later,

Cory O

I think this is a wonderful idea, like you say a win win situation for both, you mentioned 50 years old, isn't there an old saying you're NEVER too old to learn. Best of luck and enjoy learning!!!!

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

8 hours ago, dblr said:

I think this is a wonderful idea, like you say a win win situation for both, you mentioned 50 years old, isn't there an old saying you're NEVER too old to learn. Best of luck and enjoy learning!!!!

I think I have heard that saying too. I just hope my grandpa is looking down on me and watching me work. I think it would make him proud. My grandpa was my hero. 

Later,

Cory O

On 3/24/2022 at 3:25 PM, Vegas Teacher said:problem is I really don't know what I am doing. 

Hey, that’s my line. And I spent several years working as a mechanic and have a degree in engineering.

You start with righty tighty and go from there. It’s all just building blocks and stepping stones. Good luck this summer.

19 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Yep, just nuts and bolts I say.

I am replacing my cab mount bushings very soon. Just need some time off work.

Good Luck, I watched a video on the cab mounts, it looks like a job that is not bad if you have all of the right tools to do it. What Vegas Flyer and I ran into, while trying to work on my truck, was the lack of the right tools to do the job correctly.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:42 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

Good Luck, I watched a video on the cab mounts, it looks like a job that is not bad if you have all of the right tools to do it. What Vegas Flyer and I ran into, while trying to work on my truck, was the lack of the right tools to do the job correctly.

Fortunately I had the tools for this. Got the passenger side done today. Took about 4 hours. It was shot. Probably would have gotten done sooner but one nut was extremely difficult to turn. And I’m no spring chicken anymore. 
Oh, mine is a 780 as well, 2010.

8F4F9710-C788-475D-B81A-67C5A5227B75.jpeg

407F15ED-8D9E-4CBC-910D-384C63403331.jpeg

On 3/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, Rotorhead said:

Fortunately I had the tools for this. Got the passenger side done today. Took about 4 hours. It was shot. Probably would have gotten done sooner but one nut was extremely difficult to turn. And I’m no spring chicken anymore. 

On 3/29/2022 at 6:48 PM, Rotorhead said:

Well somehow I did not get my quote in. Looks like we have the same year and same model of Volvo, Good Luck. I wish I had your tools LOL.

Later,

Cory O

On 4/1/2022 at 10:38 AM, Vegas Teacher said:

Well somehow I did not get my quote in. Looks like we have the same year and same model of Volvo, Good Luck. I wish I had your tools LOL.

Later,

Cory O

Yep. So far it is a good truck. Of course she needs a lot of attention. 

This job didn't require too many tools. 24 & 30 mm sockets and wrenches. (I only have up to 24 though), a couple breaker bars with a pipe for added leverage and a ratchet.  Those were for the mount itself. For the wheel well just a basic socket set will do. I believe it was 11 and 12 mm sockets for mine. There were about 6 little bolts holding the wheel well in place. You can see in the picture how much room you have on the outside. The bolt head inside the frame is tight due to the starter being right there. 

Harbor freight or Lowe's are good places to start picking up some tools. 

Mount.jpg

13 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Yep. So far it is a good truck. Of course she needs a lot of attention. 

This job didn't require too many tools. 24 & 30 mm sockets and wrenches. (I only have up to 24 though), a couple breaker bars with a pipe for added leverage and a ratchet.  Those were for the mount itself. For the wheel well just a basic socket set will do. I believe it was 11 and 12 mm sockets for mine. There were about 6 little bolts holding the wheel well in place. You can see in the picture how much room you have on the outside. The bolt head inside the frame is tight due to the starter being right there. 

Harbor freight or Lowe's are good places to start picking up some tools. 

Mount.jpg

Thanks for the update and the pictures!!!! Was it hard to find a 30 MM socket? Did it fit your 1/2 breaker bar of did you need to use step downs from a 3/4 or 1 inch???

9 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Thanks for the update and the pictures!!!! Was it hard to find a 30 MM socket? Did it fit your 1/2 breaker bar of did you need to use step downs from a 3/4 or 1 inch???

It did fit. I have about an 18" 1/2 drive breaker and a 24" combo 3/8 and 1/2" breaker. I also have the step ups/downs. I would recommend using 1/2 or 3/4" where possible. I have broken 3, 1/2" drive breaker bars already, at the fitting for the socket. Last one was on me since I didn't see the bar was coming loose from the socket. And since it wasn't seated all the way it twisted right off. Oh well. At least I didn't break anything on myself this time! hahaha.

10 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Oh I forgot. No it is pretty easy to find what you need. Harbor freight has a lot, Lowes has a pretty good selection. Not too far away there is a place here that is like Harbor Freight but better. Prices are good as well. It is called Hanover Tool. You could search your area and see if you have something like that.