weBoost destination RV cell phone booster

GlennWest

We are in Victoria and cell phone service at Gateway RV is poor. Have 2-3 bars but data terrible. Was looking at this one and wondering how much wind will it withstand. Seems rather tall. Taller likely helps but gets windy here. Also how are y'all bringing cable in? On DRV I drilled a hole and sealed it. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Looks like the Destination comes with a directional antenna as did our RV Connect package. I purchased Drive OTR antenna which is omnidirectional that I have connected all the time, and usually provides a signal that is useful, but if not then I switch to the directional antenna that comes with the kit.

Drive OTR Antenna | weBoost

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Glen,

They usually come with a flat cable you can run thru window or door. I ran ours thru the garage door on our drv toyhauler. The antenna is pretty stout with good mounts.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Both my OTR and directional antennas have a round cable, not flat.  If you run the cable through a slide of window, make sure you are not pinching the cable as it can damage the shield.

Most of the time I use the OTR omnidirectional antenna.  In really marginal areas, the directional antenna really helps.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Mine had coax also, but there was a 8" flat cable that you could use for door or window or slide.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

If you are getting 2-3 bars it's likely that you are experiencing tower congestion. If that's the case a booster would do no good.

Tom
—————————————————
2005 Born Free 24' Rear Bath
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

If you are using a cell modem with 2 antenna inputs, connecting a pair of outside antennas will move the MIMO internal antennas to the roof - I have often increased the data speed by 10X using a pair of outside antennas & no amplifier.  

Won't help with using a phone for data - no external antenna connections.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

On 3/4/2022 at 5:52 AM, Tom_M said:

If you are getting 2-3 bars it's likely that you are experiencing tower congestion. If that's the case a booster would do no good.

Then it might not help here. In the morning hours we can stream TV good. Afternoon not. Still going to get it. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

14 hours ago, vermilye said:

If you are using a cell modem with 2 antenna inputs, connecting a pair of outside antennas will move the MIMO internal antennas to the roof - I have often increased the data speed by 10X using a pair of outside antennas & no amplifier.  

Won't help with using a phone for data - no external antenna connections.

I agree... Our aimable MIMO antenna set has equaled or outperformed our expensive booster amp everywhere we've used it so far.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

What we have is the 8800L unit. It has two antenna ports on it. You got me thinking I just need an antenna. Which unit should i get. lots of them. I am going to take the wifi unit on top of of Teton today and see if signal increases.

Edited by GlennWest

1 hour ago, vermilye said:

I use a pair of these:  Chaowei High Gain 10-12dBi 4G LTE Omnidirectional Antenna-Wide Band Outdoor Pole/Wall Mount Antenna .  Note - they do not cover some of the 5G frequencies.

Not concerned with 5g. Grandfathered in with Verizon on device unlimited. On the link you showed I will need adapter for my 8800L unit.  Oh wife ordered a wifi extender. No use to us. You stated you used a pair. Is this helpful?

Edited by GlennWest

You will need 2 cables & 2 adapters.  Be sure the cables match the antenna - SMA to Type N and adapters SMA to TS9.  

While I have not used it, if it works as well you could use this dual antenna and save $.  Still need the adapters...

7 minutes ago, vermilye said:

You will need 2 cables & 2 adapters.  Be sure the cables match the antenna - SMA to Type N and adapters SMA to TS9.  

While I have not used it, if it works as well you could use this dual antenna and save $.  Still need the adapters...

One more question. I will need a flat cable for window. So order sma cable?

I wouldn't use a flat cable.  I don't know of one that has a SMA on one end & a Type N (the antenna connector) on the other.  I drilled a hole the size of the SMA connector, and caulked around the cable.  Permanent installation.  If you want a temporary connection, I'd install a port to run the cables.

2 hours ago, vermilye said:

I wouldn't use a flat cable.  I don't know of one that has a SMA on one end & a Type N (the antenna connector) on the other.  I drilled a hole the size of the SMA connector, and caulked around the cable.  Permanent installation.  If you want a temporary connection, I'd install a port to run the cables.

I agree.  Flat cable may be OK when you're receiving a signal like from a dish to a satellite receiver or downlinking from the cell tower but transmitting is much more sensitive to cable irregularities.  It's likely to seriously compromise the power you're sending back to the tower.

Ordered a mimo antenna and installed it today. Terorary ran it thru window and checked it out. Way faster internet. Went from no streaming to streaming tv.. Tomorrow will drill hole for cable and make it permanent. Thanks everyone.

I am not questioning the success with a pair of omni directional antennas as suggested above. I am just curious how they work together? I have a pair of yagi (directional) that I am anxious to try. I would guess there would be no aiming of the pair of omni directionals???? thanks

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT

11 minutes ago, LarryN said:

I would guess there would be no aiming of the pair of omni directionals??

Using a pair of antennas makes them directional, based on a perpendicular line between the two antennas. That used to be very common for users of mobile CB antennas as it would push nearly all of the transmission power into the direction of travel. I have not heard of anyone pairing Yagi antennas.

The Complete Cellular Antenna Guide

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:

Using a pair of antennas makes them directional, based on a perpendicular line between the two antennas. That used to be very common for users of mobile CB antennas as it would push nearly all of the transmission power into the direction of travel. I have not heard of anyone pairing Yagi antennas.

The Complete Cellular Antenna Guide

Kirk, paired yagi's are commercially available. There are dual yagi's available on Amazon. I have stacked yagi's in my ham radio arsenal. I have two yagi's and have never them on my collapsible pole because they are physically different, even though they are electronically identical. But since they will join up at the 8800 I just never experimented with them.

Just never saw any improvement in pairing any omni directional but I am willing to learn. 🙂. Some of the boondocking YOUtubers use a paired yagi setup. I will try to find some examples. I do like this thread and will try to follow it. I also understand the phasing of two radiating elements in the transmission mode. In our remote search for signal, it is the receiving mode that is the most troublesome....(for me).

1977 GMC Eleganza II

ARS WBOJOT