Diesel Gel Issues

Cotreker

Forgot to add anti gel fluid to my Diesel yesterday when stopped overnight in Raton, NM temps were just below zero.  Truck started fine (plugged in) but would not go above 1500 rpm; luckily I had a bottle of 911 anti gel with me and only had 65 gallons of fuel in the tank so I added the entire contents plus 1/2 can of Sea Foam.  It took over a 100 miles for the issue to clear out since the temps were averaging 15 to 20 degrees.  While this was happening I noticed my coolant temp would not rise above 113 degrees.  When the issue went away the temp went back to normal.

Did this gelling issue do any damage to my nearly new fuel filters; should I replace them.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

No damage, just a pain. All that engine heat was going into your tanks, warming up the fuel temps. Of course, with no insulation, the tanks shed heat like crazy, at those temps.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

12 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

All that engine heat was going into your tanks, warming up the fuel temps.

Darryl, I truly enjoy reading your responses on the forum and usually I "get it".  But this statement has me wondering what I'm missing.

I know the fuel will return to the tank from the bypass valve at the head and certainly see some heat transfer.  Also the Davco will transfer some of the coolant heat to the fuel at the heated filter.  But I wouldn't think either of these sources could contribute significantly to maintaining Dennis's 113F coolant temp.  What am I missing?

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

1 hour ago, Jim & Wilma said:

Darryl, I truly enjoy reading your responses on the forum and usually I "get it".  But this statement has me wondering what I'm missing.

I know the fuel will return to the tank from the bypass valve at the head and certainly see some heat transfer.  Also the Davco will transfer some of the coolant heat to the fuel at the heated filter.  But I wouldn't think either of these sources could contribute significantly to maintaining Dennis's 113F coolant temp.  What am I missing?

Perhaps apples and oranges? Fuel return to the tanks will warm up the fuel and filters enough to liquify the gelled fuel. Once that occurs, the engine can run normally, generating enough heat and horsepower to bring operating temps up to normal. At least, that's my experience. Jay

1 hour ago, Jim & Wilma said:

24 minutes ago, Jaydrvr said:

Perhaps apples and oranges? Fuel return to the tanks will warm up the fuel and filters enough to liquify the gelled fuel. Once that occurs, the engine can run normally, generating enough heat and horsepower to bring operating temps up to normal. At least, that's my experience. Jay

As Jay said, most engines pull far more fuel from the tanks than they burn, so fuel is returned to the tanks. Certain models, like our Cummins N-14 uses the excess fuel to cool the ECM, with waste heat being dumped into the fuel. It also picks up heat from the pump, lines bolted to the engine block, and via the fuel return passage through the heads. The fuel line restriction will also cause a lean condition, hence the 11500 RPM cap. This causes the engine to consume fewer BTU, resulting in a cooler block. Once the fuel in the tanks warms enough, the BTU available will increase, increasing engine temp.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Jay is that why my coolant temps stayed so low 113 degrees.  I understand why I could not develop power because the filters would not pass the fuel fast enough.  My bad for not putting in anti gel, I have used this stuff for 30 years living in Colorado.

Thanks gents, off to Walmart for more product.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

8 minutes ago, Cotreker said:

Jay is that why my coolant temps stayed so low 113 degrees.

Yup. Reduced BTU per revolution, and fewer RPM leads to cold engine. Next time, kick it into high idle, make a coffee, and wait. Easier on your nerves, and the engine. That's the advantage of carrying your house with you.

Please e-mail us here.

10 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Yup. Reduced BTU per revolution, and fewer RPM leads to cold engine. Next time, kick it into high idle, make a coffee, and wait. Easier on your nerves, and the engine. That's the advantage of carrying your house with you.

One of the few times it's better to allow your vehicle to sit and idle  instead of driving off slowly and warming everything up equally. Of course if you have the time and the ability to drive slowly enough to warm it all, before needing to get up to "Highway" speed. It's still better to warm up while driving. IMHO

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Hi Dennis,

Glad to hear that you solved the problem without MUCH pain. I would say that you need to stay in warmer temps like us but it is 33 this morning in Edinburg, Tx. The big girl is going no where today and I'm staying inside by the fireplace. No golf for a few days. I hope Quartsite is warmer.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

My self inflicted pain has healed now that I an home.  Last night ordered some Stayidne fluid was rated high next to Hot Shot. Had 911 Amsoil whis I used and 8 ounces of Sea Foam, just did not use until after the fact.  On board the truck was also one bottle of Power Service and my heat gun but we just kept driving and waiting for full power.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • Jackalopee

19 hours ago, Danfreda1 said:

Hi brad it was 36 in quartzite this morning and felt like 32 but warming fast. You coming to quartzite?

No I am not. I'm quite comfortable in the RGV on the golf course. Be in the 70's soon.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.