Truck Bed Toppers

ddrischell

I have one from Leer and while they don't come cheap, they perfectly matched the paint color of my truck even when it was nearly 14 years old. It is fiberglass and has held up very well. I would buy from them again.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have a Bak-Flip mx4 on a F-350 8' longbed.  Five years old and running strong. Very happy with it. It folds forward into a single, two-foot section stack and anchors for 5er towing.  You can also fold it completely out of the way but it will block the back window.  I do that only when fueling (aux tank below tonneau level). Pics and video at the website.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

I have a Leer 180 cap on my F350 long bed. It is my 3ord Leer, 2nd 180, between 3 trucks. I really like it.

The last Leer 180 I had was on a short bed truck. I got the "outdoors package" in that one which had the sliding windows, coat hanger, and a locking rifle box that went length-wise across the ceiling on one side.

The rifle box took up too much head room in that one. So when I got the next one I got all the options without the full package that came with the rifle box and I've been a lot happier with it.

In years past I did switch between a fabric tonneu and the cap. I got the tonneu first before I got the cap with the intent of having options. Where I lived in the past the truck would fit in the garage without the cap so I went with the tonneu every day then when I traveled I put the cap back on. Now I have to park outside so the cap stays on, but I have the options.

That brings up a point - it is entirely possible to remove the cap once it is installed at the dealer. I have a lift I made out of dimensional lumber that uses an electric winch to power it. It is designed off the mechanism of a hydraulic floor jack. The hydraulic cylinder is replaced with a winch that pulls from a higher rigged point above. The same scissor action that the lifting plate of the jack example is what keeps the cap lift stable - it lifts from the interior ceiling of the cap (slides in with the window up and tailgate down).

I would recommend some gap between the cap and the bed rails. When I got mine installed we put cut up rubber bed liner mat strips down - they are about 1/4-3/8" thick. That keeps the lip of the fiberglass cap off the metal sides.

Last note is on wind driven rain you can have that blow up under the cap and over the bed rails. I use Great Stuff spray foam to seal the cap to the bed rails. I line up the cap/truck so I can drop the cap in to position quick. Then spray a bead of Great Stuff and drop the cap down. Doing that has solved the issue of wind-driven rain leaking in to the bed.

Edit - the Leer 180 is a "mid height" cap. It has a higher roof line than the cab roof of the truck. I went this way to get more interior space without going to the real tall cap model. I think the styling is better. So it is a compromise between style and function.

Another thought on edit - if you have any fabrication skills - you can make a cap. There are some (Swiss comes to mind) aluminum caps out there. Instead of making a rigid, fixed cap you could make one that has parts that come apart/screw together. If you need the ability to remove the cap to use the truck bed without the cap (either for a 5th wheel or hauling taller equipment or appliances like refrigerators) - this would be one way to do it. The window assembly on my Leer 180 comes with the frame, latches, etc as one unit. I broke the glass several years ago and to replace it I had to remove all the metal framing around the cap opening (down to the fiberglass) and replace all of it. So you could simply order a replacement window set and build your cap rear opening to fit it.

There are also some accordion style soft-sided caps out there that will slide up to the front of the bed exposing most of the truck bed.

Lots of options.

Edited by FlyFishn

I've had a few and usually bought then used if they didn't come on the used truck. You will never get much out of them trying to sell, so I'd look for  used one. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 1/31/2022 at 7:54 PM, Kirk W said:

I have one from Leer and while they don't come cheap, they perfectly matched the paint color of my truck even when it was nearly 14 years old. It is fiberglass and has held up very well. I would buy from them again.

I had a Leer cap.  It cracked and was no longer structurally sound.  I believe I had it for 8 years or so.

It did come with a lifetime warranty.  So I took it back to the dealer and he remembered selling it to me!!! He said no problem I will contact Leer.

Leer said, forget about it.  The only way we will honor the warranty is if he can provide the original sales receipt.  Which I did and Leer was none to happy about it.  But eventually they relented and I got a new cap.

Reminds me of Sears and their lifetime warranty.  There I was told they NEVER expected somebody to keep a truck for 10 years.   So offering it is just a marketing scam??

I needed to get a cap on short notice for a trip to Alaska for another truck and bought a CHEAP Leer cap.  It is a piece of junk.  Poor design, poor construction, but it covered the bed of the truck.  So far it hasn't cracked, but really poor design.  Their higher end models are suppose to be better.

In the past, there were some great cap companies in the northwest, but they have all gone out of business.

If you can find a used one, BUY it.  You will never be able to sell a cap for much.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com