TST 507 Sender Question

Sparky242

Hi all   I am going to buy the TST 507 and looking at my dual wheel valve stems I am not sure what to do, it looks like I will have to bend the inner valve stems because they don't line up with the holes in the outer rim very well to get the flow thru senders to fit.  Can they be bent a little or can they be turned a little by loosening the nut where the valve stem goes into the rim.    On the outer rim the valve stem bends back into the hole in the rim so I am thinking I would have to use a cap style sender, but I am not sure how hard it will be to get it threaded on.  Just wondering what everyone else has done.   Thanks 

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

I prefer the valve cap sensors and see no advantage to the flow-thru's. Removing them to air up is no different than removing the standard valve caps used on the flow-thru's. The cap sensors are lighter and much less noticeable than the flow thru's.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Sparky,

I put Crossfires on my truck because of the difficulty trying to access the sensors to add air.  Just too hard on me to try and crawl around and get my fat hand between the tires.  If you decide that route get them with 3 schraeder valves. One for each tpms and one central to add air.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Ditto what Carl said.  I took a 1/2" open end wrench, cut the end off, turned it 90 degrees and welded it back on.  That allows me to tighten the crossfires on the inner dually.  Not enough room if you just bend the wrench.

Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Can't really help with the first question but for the outer tires I added a 180 degree screw on valve stem extension so the valve stem is actually pointing out. I use the cap style sensors and am quite happy with them

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I'm not running my TPMS on the truck, just on the trailer.  I do have the crossfire units on the drives but my understanding is that they don't play well with TPMS sensors as they will shut down the connection to a tire that has lost pressure.  They used to have a model that would allow the installation of 2 TPMS sensors right on the Crossfire, but I am not sure they are making those any longer.

Probably your best bet is to use the valve extensions that others have mentioned.

Shawn and Andrea
Elvis the Cheagle Dog
2013 Volvo 730 / iShift / D13 XE Package / ET Hitch
2016 DRV Mobile Suites 43 Atlanta
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited

Read the blog at 40foothouse.com

R8O2pAw.jpg

1 hour ago, Sparky242 said:

With the Crossfires I would guess that if you blow one tire the other tire will go flat too.

The Crossfires have check valves that are intended to keep the unaffected tire from deflating if one dual begins to rapidly deflate.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

I would imagine the Crossfire website would answer these questions, but I'm too lazy to look.  

http://crossfirecomponents.com/

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 2/1/2022 at 8:31 PM, Sparky242 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions and info, Looking into both Crossfires and valve extensions.

Be careful of valve extensions. Just another place for air to leak. I put longer stems on my dually. Got them from a truck stop. Had to have the tire removed and remounted but I don't have to worry about an extension leaking. Just attached the sensor to the end of the stem.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have the tst caps. I did have to bend a couple valve stems slightly to get them on. They are pricey but the best decision I ever made.  It is amazing how much temperature influences your tire pressure. I have 120 psi cold (60-70 degrees). On really hot days 95 degrees+ they will go up 140. On cold days 0 degrees and below they are down to 100. Once I get 10 miles down the road, they are back up 115-120 where they belong. 

I have nothing good to say about crossfires. We run our trucks in some extreme conditions. I suppose highway use only they might be a little ok. After only one year they corroded and were imposable to remove without damaging them. 

I agree with Twotoes. I have a 2021 KW all the inner duals had extensions from the factory. One leaked so I removed them all. 

Edited by jenandjon

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

My 180 degree extensions are on the outer duels to make the sensor point out. The connection is easily to reach from the outside to keep tight.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 2/1/2022 at 4:08 PM, Shawn Patterson said:

I'm not running my TPMS on the truck, just on the trailer.  I do have the crossfire units on the drives but my understanding is that they don't play well with TPMS sensors as they will shut down the connection to a tire that has lost pressure.  They used to have a model that would allow the installation of 2 TPMS sensors right on the Crossfire, but I am not sure they are making those any longer.

Probably your best bet is to use the valve extensions that others have mentioned.

Shawn,

Don’t have a picture but my Cross fires have three valves.  One on the body and one on each of the two extensions near the body.  The TPMS cap sensors go on the extensions and the central valve is used to add air.  I have had them on my truck for going on six years.  Only issue was one extension had a crack in it causing a slow leak.  Was determined to be a manufacturing defect and replaced at no cost.  I worked with Ed Donnelly to get the three valve system.  I’m not sure if it’s now standard or not.  Like anything some people will have a favorable opinion, others not.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"