comparison road side service -Progressive vs Escapee plan

gypsydan

I've never had to use roadside service - yet.  I've been trying to make a comparisong between the roadside service provided by Progressive, and that offered by Escapees.

Does anyone have any actual roadside experience with either, or both?  What I am looking at is I have roadside with Progressive for $36yr (?), and I signed up for the Escapees plan at $100 last year which is coming due.  Would it be worthwhile to keep the Escapee plan?  I've got the Progressive with my ins, so can't cancell it. Is it really worthwhile paying the extra $100 for the escapee plan?

Any expereince would be appreciated.

Happy Holiday,  wait, I'm retired, everyday is a holdiay.

2009 Four Winds Chateau - 25' class C          2002 Chevy Tracker

1458033694__statesVisitedas-ofMarch-2012.jpg.b173645da4a43150ba2820dc7a6bdfc5.jpg

The question for Progressive is what happens when you break down. Do they cover the RV? or are you paying for just a car?  Do they send a tow truck for both the truck and trailer and how far will they tow it. How many times in a year will they tow your equipment?

There are a lot more questions you need to ask Progressive to be able to compare them.

49 minutes ago, SWharton said:

The question for Progressive is what happens when you break down. Do they cover the RV? or are you paying for just a car?  Do they send a tow truck for both the truck and trailer and how far will they tow it. How many times in a year will they tow your equipment?

There are a lot more questions you need to ask Progressive to be able to compare them.

Plus, do they let you choose where to tow it? Do they understand they need to send a big enough truck to tow your Class C?

I would ask all those questions of all potential providers and see how well they answer. Some say "Yeah, yeah" when they have no idea.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

When our motorhome broke down last year, Progressive's ERS had it towed to the garage of my choosing, although there was a $40 excess mileage charge since it was farther than the nearest qualified service provider. The tri-axle tow truck that was dispatched was more than enough for our 34' motorhome and the driver was very knowledgeable and professional.

Progressive's ERS, like most of the low-cost insurance company provided plans, includes all the usual basics like towing, tire change, fuel delivery, and lock out service, but not the additional "concierge" services that the more expensive "membership" plans provide. Personally, After years with first Good Sam and then with Coach-Net, I'll stick with the low cost Progressive plan unless I run into an unexpected problem with them.

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Over the ~10 years we've had Coachnet we've had a couple of occasions where they found us diesel mechanics in places we weren't familiar with.  Fortunately, the problem that was causing that need has now been resolved. 

But just two years ago they had to help us get extracted from axle-deep mud in an out-of-the-way location on Prince Edward Island on Canada Day of all things!  They were super and we were freed in less than 2 hours start to finish.

The difference between Coachnet and a less expensive plan is ~$100-150/yr and I'll gladly continue to pay for it just to for the peace of mind! JMO

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We've had Progressive. We had bought a small 5th wheel and truck for an Alaskan trip. We left via Death Valley and the truck's engine failed.  We called Progressive from Death Valley and two tow trucks came from Lone Pine - 70 miles away.... one for the truck and one for the 5th wheel.  No extra charge.  We've always had just the rider for towing on our vehicle insurance.  It was $10/yr.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel