Removing Inactive Diagnostic Messages

747Flyer

I don't know of a way to do it without buying either a Scan Gauge D or a scanner from bluefire-llc.com. I looked at both and went with the Scan Gauge D.   My Ford had a Scan Gauge so I was familiar with how it works.  I can clear inactive  engine codes(Detroit 60 Series) but I haven't figured how to clear other inactive codes for other systems( trans, brakes) maybe it wont do it, Hopefully someone else knows if its possible  

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

On my 2001 Volvo with the Volvo engine I am pretty sure I was able to clear the old messages once. It was a bit of a chore, but all with the controls on the stalk if I remember correctly . I have errors and messages from my missing power divider brakes and one that no one had yet to explain with what looks like a fuel dispenser. I just ignore them unless the truck won't start or the transmission won't find neutral. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

It is all done through the stalk like lappir says. I have not done it for a long time. Turn on the key, don't start engine (there are some things you can't do with the engine running) and start scrolling thru you options. When you get into the messages there should be a reset option. Don't remember if it will take all the inactive at once or you have to do them individually.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I do appreciate the efforts to help. Unfortunately no one yet has been able to tell me SPECIFICALLY how to accomplish this ON A 1998 MODEL. Newer trucks may be slightly different with the labeling of the stalk buttons and/or the prompts given on the display. Newer trucks have a totally different display.  I'm aware that I could simply ignore the inactive messages. There are 4 of them, and I want them gone. I'm aware that if this is possible without a diagnostic tool, it will probably be done through the wiper stalk controls. When looking at a diagnostic message, I have tried every combination of stalk control buttons I can think of. ( before asking for help here)  None results in clearing of the message or a prompt to do so. On the Volvo Masters forum, a gentleman said it was easy by using the enter button. I don't have an enter button. Beginning to think a 1998 will require a dealer visit/diagnostic tool to delete these messages. Thanks again for your efforts to help!

1 hour ago, 747Flyer said:

I do appreciate the efforts to help. Unfortunately no one yet has been able to tell me SPECIFICALLY how to accomplish this ON A 1998 MODEL. Newer trucks may be slightly different with the labeling of the stalk buttons and/or the prompts given on the display. Newer trucks have a totally different display.  I'm aware that I could simply ignore the inactive messages. There are 4 of them, and I want them gone. I'm aware that if this is possible without a diagnostic tool, it will probably be done through the wiper stalk controls. When looking at a diagnostic message, I have tried every combination of stalk control buttons I can think of. ( before asking for help here)  None results in clearing of the message or a prompt to do so. On the Volvo Masters forum, a gentleman said it was easy by using the enter button. I don't have an enter button. Beginning to think a 1998 will require a dealer visit/diagnostic tool to delete these messages. Thanks again for your efforts to help!

I just went through the menu on my 1999 Volvo VNL to compare. I can pull up inactive codes, but no combination of buttons give me the option to delete. I would've thought that the left button on that stalk would've pulled up a delete option, but it doesn't. I think you'll have to have a service computer hooked up to actually delete them. I do have a ScanGauge KR connected. There may be a way to clear codes with that. I just ignore mine, but as OCD as I am, I certainly understand the need to eliminate them. Good luck. Jay

On the gen 2 once you have the code on the screen you hold the select(enter) button for a couple of seconds to erase the code.  Here is a link for the owners manual from the resource guide.  I’m not reading it but it looks like you should start around page 120 for operation of the buttons and screen.  http://www.hhrvresource.com/sites/default/files/dfiles/VNL_Op_2000_PV776_TSP20154796_lores.pdf

Edited by Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

44 minutes ago, Nigel said:

On the gen 2 once you have the code on the screen you hold the select(enter) button for a couple of seconds to erase the code.  Here is a link for the owners manual from the resource guide.  I’m not reading it but it looks like you should start around page 120 for operation of the buttons and screen.  http://www.hhrvresource.com/sites/default/files/dfiles/VNL_Op_2000_PV776_TSP20154796_lores.pdf

That's exactly what I tried on my Gen 1, but I'm wondering if I didn't hold it down long enough. Jay

3 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I just went through the menu on my 1999 Volvo VNL to compare. I can pull up inactive codes, but no combination of buttons give me the option to delete. I would've thought that the left button on that stalk would've pulled up a delete option, but it doesn't. I think you'll have to have a service computer hooked up to actually delete them. I do have a ScanGauge KR connected. There may be a way to clear codes with that. I just ignore mine, but as OCD as I am, I certainly understand the need to eliminate them. Good luck. Jay

Jay, thanks very much for doing this. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that a service computer is required on the '98.

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

Nigel, thanks for posting. I do have the owners manual for my truck. Although it is fairly detailed on the use of the graphic display, it says nothing about deleting the inactive messages. I did look at the owners manual that you provided the link for. It is for a 2001, and is more detailed than the 1998 manual. Sadly, the graphic display on the 2001 is similar to the 1998, but the stalk controls are labeled differently and function slightly differently as well. I appreciate your help. I think it will require a service computer as well as a password input.

Edited by 747Flyer

On 8/31/2021 at 8:20 PM, 747Flyer said:

Jay, thanks very much for doing this. Unfortunately I've come to the conclusion that a service computer is required on the '98.

Or.....you can trade instrument panels with me! Everything works except for than little LCD screen! Those codes won't bother you if you don't know they are there!😄

23 hours ago, mike5511 said:

Or.....you can trade instrument panels with me! Everything works except for than little LCD screen! Those codes won't bother you if you don't know they are there!😄

I DID have some problems with my cluster. The fuel gauge had read full since I got the truck and it would not move during a gauge test. The ABS light would not illuminate at key on even though the bulb tested. Ditto with the caution light. Finally, a few weeks ago, the background lights began to flicker and the speedo and tach went ape for a little while. I removed the cluster and took it to Southern Electronics in Richmond, Va. They fixed all of the above issues in 2 days for $371. Has worked perfectly since. You might give them a call.  They are experienced with Volvo clusters. Not " Mr. Personality", but seem to do good work. I didn't have any LCD issues, but perhaps they can fix that part as well. I didn't ask them about clearing the diagnostic messages when they had it . Duh...

On 9/5/2021 at 10:22 PM, 747Flyer said:

I DID have some problems with my cluster. The fuel gauge had read full since I got the truck and it would not move during a gauge test. The ABS light would not illuminate at key on even though the bulb tested. Ditto with the caution light. Finally, a few weeks ago, the background lights began to flicker and the speedo and tach went ape for a little while. I removed the cluster and took it to Southern Electronics in Richmond, Va. They fixed all of the above issues in 2 days for $371. Has worked perfectly since. You might give them a call.  They are experienced with Volvo clusters. Not " Mr. Personality", but seem to do good work. I didn't have any LCD issues, but perhaps they can fix that part as well. I didn't ask them about clearing the diagnostic messages when they had it . Duh...

There is place i sent mine to in Ozark, MO, that fixed all the cold solder joints and replaced all the lights. They said the LCD usually came back to life after they fixed them, but if it didn't, they had no access to parts. Mine lights up, but is blank. I think buying a aftermarket diagnostic/reader to use with a tablet would be the most cost effective way to "fix" it. A guy at the rally last year told me what to get, but I forgot he said!

13 hours ago, mike5511 said:

There is place i sent mine to in Ozark, MO, that fixed all the cold solder joints and replaced all the lights. They said the LCD usually came back to life after they fixed them, but if it didn't, they had no access to parts. Mine lights up, but is blank. I think buying a aftermarket diagnostic/reader to use with a tablet would be the most cost effective way to "fix" it. A guy at the rally last year told me what to get, but I forgot he said!

Could it have been an "Ultra Gauge"? I had one for my Isuzu Vehicross and was very happy with it. Many times I thought about plugging it into the port, but the truck wasn't there or something else side tracked me. Now the Isuzu is in Iowa and I'm not. Not even sure  if the ports are the same. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The SilverLeaf system was a topic of discussion for this use some years ago and I considered adding one to my truck, but the ScanGauge KR does what I need, so I'm good for now. It does seem to be a very well developed system, with lots of customizable options. I just don't have room for yet another display on my dash. Jay

https://www.silverleafelectronics.com/

Edited by Jaydrvr

On 9/13/2021 at 7:15 PM, geodog said:

I am useing a "BlueFire for Trucks". I has a fully customizable dash and will delete codes.

The software is a free download and the adapter is Around $100.00.

ShortyO

I think that is the one. My truck is a 98 with a Cummins motor. I've got all the gauges plus a Road Relay. I probably only need a simple code reader to check things every now and then.