Roads to avoid

Livdreem

Hi everyone

Hope all is well

I've been full-timing in my RV for 3 years now and love it. Been around the country 1.5X. 
    My issue is I have a terrible reaction to driving on roads with drop offs, cliffs or switchbacks. I get a serious case of vertigo so I CAN'T do them - EVER.

windy and up/down doesn't bother me.

It's the falling.

Anyway, I want to travel from Missoula MT to Lewiston ID in July.
Route 12 doesnt look bad but that thin road along a very windy river would give problems if it had any drop offs.

looks like there might be a drop off by Lolo Pass but not sure from videos I found.

Any suggestions? Is route 12 better than I think?
Should I go through Couer dAlene?

I have a 35ft 5th wheel.

I'm looking to eventually domicile up there somewhere,

Idaho, Montana?

any thoughts on a less stressful route?

Thanks

Hello,

Are you familiar with Mountain Directory for Truckers, RVs and Motorhomes? It is a state-by-state directory of some (not all) mountain passes and steep grades. We have used it to help determine info on a route we are considering. There is an east and west version and is available in multiple formats (e.g, book, ebook, etc).

https://mountaindirectory.com/

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

We have been up and down that route several times. I don't recall any spots with steep close to the roadway. One of our fav cg on the west end-- Pink House BLM. Lolo Pass has a visitors center and a short trail. The east end has a good commercial cg, used to called the Square Dance Center but they changed the name.

Missoula to Lewiston:   You really need to get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'.

I can't recall any dropoffs on either route.

Lolo Pass - Hwy 12 - Going west from the summit is 6% grade for 5 miles - a steady descent with many curves.    After coming down you'll be following the river for almost 100 miles and rivers are winding.  However, the road is at river level... no dropoffs.  This is your shortest route.  I'd advise not to do this this drive on the weekend if you have options.  It's very busy with campers and fishermen.

If you take I-90 from Missoula you'll first encounter Lookout Pass - 5 mi of 5-6% descent with two runaway truck ramps.   Then you'll have 4th of July Summit on I-90 just east of Coeur D'Alene.  The grade is steady at 5.5% for 4 miles.

For both routes you'll then encounter Lewiston Hill on Hwy 95 coming down to the river at Lewiston.  Speed limit is 35mph.  This downhill is a steady 7% for 6 miles.  There are 3 runaway truck ramps.  There are curves the last 4 miles.

Edited by 2gypsies

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel