Surprised to find changes

agesilaus

We are at our favorite spot north of Gardiner on Hwy 89, outside YNP and when we stayed here a year or so ago it was a wide open field with maybe 40 to 50 RV's in it. Got here this time to find that the BLM had 'improved the place'. There are now fewer than 20 spots, all in numbered sites with gravel pads and a gravel roadway. We got one of the last two spots last Thursday, and the place has been mostly full since then. One spot has power/water so I'm guessing it may be a host tho there is no sign and we have not seen anyone at the TT there. Maybe it is meant for a host but they just lucked out and got the empty spot.

So the good: nice level spots with a long distance between sites. The Bad: capacity reduced by at least 70%. It was something of a mob scene last time we were here. If they install a host that may mean they will be charging for spots.

Still a premier BD spot for visiting north YNP. 20 miles from Mammoth.

Edited by agesilaus

I know last year when we were volunteers at the Sawtooth NRA the Forest Service was in the process of turning some dispersed camping into designated camping spots. They were not charging for these sites. They were just trying to get a handle on areas that were getting overused. At the Visitor Center we received comments both good and bad. Some folks were appreciative of the changes and others who complained that the dispersed campsite they’d been coming to for 20 years was now gone.

We stayed just north of Ketchum Idaho in the new improved dispersed camping. When I looked at google maps it showed a different view than what we saw when we got there. Nice spots with fire pits and numbered sites. No charge but we’re told that it was getting over run with to many people driving over areas and camping  right on the creeks. Now they put big boulders around to keep people from trampling over and rutting up the land. We were there for a week around the Fourth of July and only a couple campers there. The forest service campground across the street was packed and 20 a night with the same amenities as we had, none. 

3 minutes ago, Danandfreda said:

When I looked at google maps it showed a different view than what we saw when we got there.

Google only updates the satellite shots periodically and in more remote areas it is often several years between updates. Even developed areas are often out of date.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

14 hours ago, agesilaus said:

If they install a host that may mean they will be charging for spots.

No reason to assume that.  We've seen many free spots with a host.  Hosts aren't paid.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

No reason to assume that.  We've seen many free spots with a host.  Hosts aren't paid.

Some of the free BLM areas in Quartzsite have hosts. 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I suspect the reason was the free for all mess that was going on here last year, there were RV's everywhere and every which way. That was when most of the YNP CG were closed down which made it worse.

They have blocked off the central open field maybe 20-30 acres with boulders and only the edge along the river has spots now. There is no one ask here tho, no BLM offices near by that I know about.

4 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

You stated "north of Granger"..... where is that?  Do you mean Gardiner?  That's national forest not BLM isn't it?

Yeah I don't know how I did that, must has been the spell checker. And no, it is BLM. NFS is all around but this block is BLM.

Are you talking about gardener Colorado? We found a BLM just a couple miles north of there on the Allstate app. We stayed 1 night had all the BLM boards with rules but after we got there it never has shown up again? It was almost 8 miles of the state hwy didn’t feel right back there so we left the next morning 

10 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

Are you talking about gardener Colorado?

Gardiner, MT is on US89 just to the north of Mammoth, and the north entrance to Yellowstone NP. Gardener, CO (different spelling) is on CO69 about 30 miles to the northwest of Walsenburg, CO and is 800 miles from Gardiner, MT. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 8/30/2021 at 11:36 PM, 2gypsies said:

results state "page not found".

Just now clicked on link again and it worked normally, didn't change any settiings.

Edited by Ray,IN
link worked this time

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

17 hours ago, Danandfreda said:

: 37.884293, -105.207739Ok this one is gardner Colorado wiley gulch found it on free campsites now but it disappeared on the allstays app

OP states BLM land N. of Gardiner, MT. which would be  45.182  -110.888

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

Hmmm   I just tried the link again and it works.

Probably my security settings in Firefox browser.