Extended service plans, good idea?

Den

Hello All;

We are just beginning our journey and there is so much to do.  

I need some help.  We are thinking of getting an extended service plan on our 5th wheel.  Good Sam has one that looks pretty good.  Has anyone had any experience with this product?  Any negative dealing with Good Sam?  Also looking at insurance from them.  Again same question.  Any experience with their insurance?  

really appreciate any advice  you good people can give me.  

Thats all for now but I am sure to be back soon and often,

Be safe and have fun.

Dennis

Welcome to the forums! We are happy to have you here and will do our best to help.

The question of service plans, (often called extended warranties) is one that comes up periodically and is often discussed. The simplest way to look at one is to consider it to be health insurance for your RV. I think that you may find this article from the magazine for some years back to be helpful. It is wise to plan ahead for expected maintenance and repairs but there are other ways of doing so. 

For insurance, there are several agencies that have a long history of satisfied customers among Escapee members and I would suggest that you check with several of them. Keep in mind that when you live in an RV as your only home you do need to have full-time coverage which is more inclusive and more costly than the normal RV insurance policy. Here are some agencies that have a good reputation in the Escapee community.

Miller Insurance Agency         Explorer Insurance     RV Advantage        Foremost Insurance

As to the Good Sam organization, while they once enjoyed an excellent reputation in the RV community, over the years that has declined and with the take-over by the current owner many here seem to agree that it is no longer a club but is just another marketing organization. I discontinued any connection with them years ago and for that reason have no recent experience to base an opinion on, but what I read on the RV forums makes me very skeptical of the value that they provide. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I had Good Sam extended warranty for our last year and second rig of 7 year full time adventure. Wasted money.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We purchased our motorhome in 2005.   I took 10% of the purchase price and put that into an account and ADDED TO IT EACH MONTH an amount equal to about 1/12 of the annual maintenance for a diesel pusher.   We never purchased an extended warranty, and our coach is still going.   That fund pays for all maintenance, replacement of tires and batteries, plus any repairs.  Remember it is not IF you will need repairs, but when.   The other thing is that by being self-funded, we are able to replace things before they break - for example, if we have something break in an assembly, we just replace the whole assembly because all the other components have been stressed by the part that did break.   Or something on one side,  we will replace that part on both sides of the coach.    The key is to make sure you put that money aside each and every month.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I too am a "member" of Good Sam.  I bought the roadside assistance package and have had both good and not so good service from them.  It is kind of comforting that i do have someone to call who will take care of me in an emergency situation.

I do have to respond to your question of extended service.  I know that some people have had good experience with Good Sam but i am not one of them.  The two times that i have used the extended service for my MH they found ways to only pay about 10% of the bill after the deductable. As an example they paid for a new windshield fan but not for the shipping to get it to me! 

I now budget money for repairs to my 5er and i think i am farther ahead than paying the yearly premium for extended service.  Of course your results may vary!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

As far as Good Sam, I am a member and use the 10% discount at some parks, but have no experience with their insurance, extended warranty or roadside assistance. I have seen too many negative reviews.  Also the camping discount is only on the daily rate and not weekly or monthly. I purchased my roadside coverage thru Escapees and have Geico for insurance.

As far as buying an extended warranty. Most do not have the discipline to make the monthly deposits. Also if your RV has a motor and a transmission, one repair can wipe out your savings. I have a Class A and have an extended warranty. You are buying a 5th wheel without a motor or transmission, so you have less risk and it may be more cost effective to not spend money on a extended warranty, especially if you are handy at fixing things yourself. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Thank you All.  This seems to be a wonderful community.

You gave me great info and some things to think about.  I am kinda nervous about GoodSam now.  I think I will look around some more.

Again thank you for you assistance.

Den

9 hours ago, Dem said:

I think I will look around some more.

Come back often as you will find that opinions are something that we always seem to have plenty of.  😄 As you consider an emergency road service, 2 others that are popular in our participants are Escapee/Safeco and also Coach-Net.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We purchased a Good Sam extended service contract when we purchased this MH. We thought it a reasonable thing to do since the MH had been parked in a barn for 8 years and things were sure to have gone bad or  would as soon as we began traveling.

The contract was for three years, during that period GS ESC more than paid out our premiums plus deductibles. All claims were for appliances and coach stuff, nothing failed or went bad on the chassis so we did not renew.

That said, I would not purchase an ESC for a newer trailer because the trailer doesn't have major expensive stuff to fail like a drive engine, transmission or differential.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961