keys locked in towed. Not mine

An older couple, very nice couple, pulled in beside us yesterday. Knocked on door and they could not get inside their towed car. Wanted our help. Well luckily a window was left part way down. I managed to get window down and crawled inside. Didn't notice what vehicle but they had put it in neutral and keyed on. No extra key. Somehow the car locked doors. I know my wife's car automatically locks doors gong down the road. Guess theirs those also. I have never towed a vehicle but is this easy to happen? 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our CRV does not allow the doors to be locked if the key is in the ignition and turned on.

We watched a tow truck operator break into a neighbors car when the keys go locked in. Amazingly simple.

If they don't have AAA then there insurances probably covers this.

That scenario sounds logical to me, if it was a automatic tranny it's most likely ruined. Both our Silverado  and Grand Cherokee will auto-lock doors at approx. 7 MPH if the ignition is turned on.

OTOH my Silverado will not lock the doors when not running if key is in ignition and off.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When I travel I take all the keys with me.

I learned the spare key in the kitchen drawer 754 miles away isn't useful. 

Tow companies and locksmiths prefer the term "opening a lockout" vs "breaking in to" 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Didn't notice what vehicle but they had put it in neutral and keyed on.

That is the way that most vehicles that can be towed 4-down are supposed to be. In neutral to prevent the wheels from driving the transmission and key on to unlock the steering. That is exactly what we did in order to tow a Ford Ranger, a 2001 CR-V, and also our 2009 CR-V. But we also used the other keys to lock the car to prevent intrusion. In the two Hondas we used the valet key so that we each still had our key & fob.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They told me no spare key. They are not new to this. So likely it was suppose to be towed this way. The husband has alzheimer's and it might be he accidently caused this. Anyway I believe they will get a spare key now.  It is a Honda CRV

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

It is a Honda CRV

If it is a model year prior to 2014 they had it right for towing. And you are a good guy, Glen for helping them out. 

Edited by Kirk W

11 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I help out anyone I can.  I could never help someone out enough to repay the help I have gotten on this forum.

I think that is probably true for most of us. I first joined the forums back in the 90's when preparing to go on the road full-time and it really helped. Most of those folks have moved on now and left the forums and Escapees as well. At the just completed Escapade I was fortunate to have met one of them who has an SKP #15xx.  

I wonder if they accidentally turned the key to the ignition on position instead of stopping at the accessory position. Like the others, our RAV4 won't let the doors lock with a key in the ignition switch, but our aftermarket remote start/door lock fob does lock the doors.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

29 minutes ago, bruce t said:

We somehow locked the keys in our HHR some time back. Called a tow truck and it took longer to pay him than it did for him to open a door. I think tow truck driver could make more money stealing cars!!! Maybe they do!😁

A good tow truck operator doesn't need to unlock a car to steal it... ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system