Stepping up to a HDT in Nevada.

Kozmic1520

I bought a MDT, an F650 Super Cab, Flatbed, 5.9 Cummins, 2500 Allison. My intent was to haul my Jeep on the back, and pull a 22' travel trailer. After I got the truck I was far less than happy with the power. Loaded, at about 5K# on the bed, and 6K# on the hitch I end up at 35-40 mph on grades. 

I'm thinking about stepping up to a HDT.

What I'm concerned about...

1. Nevada licensing. I'd like to avoid a CDL

2. Is it possible to to convert the title to an RV in Nevada?

3. I've heard of legal and or insurance issues with running without the camper in tow.  

Thanks in advance for putting up with the repetitive questions, I did search and didn't find Nevada specific info.   

Go here: The Heavy Haulers Rhttps://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/88214-the-heavy-haulers-resource-guide-hdt-rally-site/esource Guide & HDT Rally Site - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Click on HDT Decision.  There are two sections on state by state  requirement:  Licensing and Title/registration.

Sometimes, personal experience at the DMV ends up different from what is posted here.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

7 minutes ago, NeverEasy said:

Go here: The Heavy Haulers Rhttps://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/88214-the-heavy-haulers-resource-guide-hdt-rally-site/esource Guide & HDT Rally Site - HDT - Escapees Discussion Forum

Click on HDT Decision.  There are two sections on state by state  requirement:  Licensing and Title/registration.

Sometimes, personal experience at the DMV ends up different from what is posted here.  

I've tried those links, None of them open for me. I've tried different browsers too. 

They worked fine for me in Edge.   I am not a NV resident and have no personal experience.  IMO, you should attend one of the HDT Rallies (National in Hutchinson, KS,  West Coast Rally in Caldwell, ID, or East Coast Rally in Crossville, TN.  You will be better prepared to transition to a HDT.

Short answer as posted for NV:

Yes to title as Private Truck.  No to Motorhome

License.  NV 483.850 exempts RVs from CDL license.

When towing trailer above 10,000 lb GVWR, requires "J" endorsement. Above 26,000 lb GVWR or GCWR requires non-commercial Class A or B.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

We have a recent convert from Vegas here on the forum.  His name is Vegas Teacher.

He is always willing to help, and has knowledge specifically to Nevada.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

https://www.facebook.com/groups/HDTRVs/?post_id=3471151076245985

Another possible helpful link.

Oh and you are right, you will not lack power with a class 8 truck.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 3/21/2021 at 10:53 AM, Kozmic1520 said:

Loaded, at about 5K# on the bed, and 6K# on the hitch I end up at 35-40 mph on grades. 

To the OP, there is a lot to like about the HDT route and not to divert the thread.

But if power is your only compliant, have you looked at power adders?

If it's the later 5.9 vintage (newer then 2004) you can significantly increase torque without killing dependability.  (we still have a 5.9 in a pickup which has only been used for pulling, at 100 miles it had exhaust and a tune applied, dyno's over 1000ft/lbs.  It now has over 250k on it today, typical load is about 35k (farm truck moving bales).  The negative is the engine braking; you absolutely don't get anywhere the same as with a larger displacement engine.

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

11 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

To the OP, there is a lot to like about the HDT route and not to divert the thread.

But if power is your only compliant, have you looked at power adders?

If it's the later 5.9 vintage (newer then 2004) you can significantly increase torque without killing dependability.  (we still have a 5.9 in a pickup which has only been used for pulling, at 100 miles it had exhaust and a tune applied, dyno's over 1000ft/lbs.  It now has over 250k on it today, typical load is about 35k (farm truck moving bales).  The negative is the engine braking; you absolutely don't get anywhere the same as with a larger displacement engine.

I have not found anyone that can uprate the ECM yet. I tried a module, but it only adds fuel, So when the ECM sees overboost it defuels to stop the over boost. So it really does nothing for me. 

I registered mine as a commercial truck for private use in NV.

This is only way to register them in NV, you'll pay normal registration fees, for that ended up being about $750.

I insured through Progressive the same way, this way I can drive it bobtail.  If you insure it as an RV you find that your truck is only covered when pulling the camper, this doesn't work for me.

I had no issues registering it, was in and out of the DMV in about an hour and a half (they are not making appointments for private sales)

I plan to get my Class A Noncommercial, however they are not making appointments for non CDL drivers, so that will just have to wait.  I have had no issues and have been driving it for several months now, even got a few thumbs up from NHP officers lol

Dave

Las Vegas, NV

On 3/21/2021 at 12:44 PM, Kozmic1520 said:

Southern. Pahrurive mp. 

We have a winter home in N. Pahrump however we are actually Oregunn natives with too much real estate there so our rigs are tagged in Oregunn where they will turn ANYTHING into a RV for plenty of $$$$$.

If you want to talk on the phone Private Message me with your phone #

Drive on .........power up for the hills....

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

On 3/21/2021 at 8:53 AM, Kozmic1520 said:

I bought a MDT, an F650 Super Cab, Flatbed, 5.9 Cummins, 2500 Allison. My intent was to haul my Jeep on the back, and pull a 22' travel trailer. After I got the truck I was far less than happy with the power. Loaded, at about 5K# on the bed, and 6K# on the hitch I end up at 35-40 mph on grades. 

I'm thinking about stepping up to a HDT.

What I'm concerned about...

1. Nevada licensing. I'd like to avoid a CDL

2. Is it possible to to convert the title to an RV in Nevada?

3. I've heard of legal and or insurance issues with running without the camper in 

You can't register as an R.V. in Nevada, I live in Vegas, tried that not possible. I have a Volvo 780. I weigh in at 18,500lbs. My 780 is registered as a private truck, at 26,000 lbs or less, noncommercial. I use GLG  insurance which is a branch through progressive, they are on rainbow here in Vegas. Many insurance companies do not cover you if you are running bobtail, like when you might be taking your truck in for an oil change or repair that might need to be done without the trailer on it, you are not insured, GLG allows you to drive bobtail and still be covered if, go forbid, you are in an accident. Feel free to private message me if you would like the phone number for GLG, or great mechanics in Las Vegas. Another good source of information would be from Dolley trolley he is also in Nevada and knows this stuff backwards and forwards.

Later Cory Ossana- Vegas Teacher.

On 3/22/2021 at 12:43 PM, Kozmic1520 said:

I have not found anyone that can uprate the ECM yet. I tried a module, but it only adds fuel, So when the ECM sees overboost it defuels to stop the over boost. So it really does nothing for me. 

Call true blue diesel mechanics, ask for Steve tell him you know Vincent Ossana big orange Volvo he will take care of you.