Fifth Wheel Towing & 2020 1 Ton GMC Denali

Gord

I'm writing from Edmonton, Canada.  We have a 2020 1 ton GMC Denali 6.6 L gas engine and are looking to buy a "weekend warrior" 5th Wheel Toy Hauler.  My challenge is finding out what is a safe towing weight. Truck weighting sticker reads:

Gross Vehicle Weight Rating is 11,350 lbs

Gross Combined Weight Rating is 24,000 lbs

Gooseneck TWR (Trailer Weight Rating?) is 16,400 lbs

So, the way I see this is truck weighs 11350 lbs and can pull a 16,400 pound 5th wheel yet the Gross Combined Weight Rating is 24,000 lbs - meaning if I were to pull this trailer I would exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating by 3,750 lbs?  

This is confusing to me as why rate the Gooseneck TWR at 16,400 lbs when really the max you could pull would really be 24,000 lbs - 11,350 lbs which is really 12,650 lbs?

Help please?  Can anyone explain this?  I am hoping to be able to tow the full 16,400 lbs, but I want to be safe.

Thanks,

Gord

Hi Gord - the 11,340lbs looks like the GVW of the truck not it’s empty weight. The truck empty would be around 8000ish lbs. You can weigh your truck at the scales on 16 east or west. They leave them on. If you want to stay within GM’s recommended max numbers you would limit your trailer weight to 16,400lbs, or the weight of the truck and trailer together to 24,000lbs.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks noteven!   This sounds positive - so just to confirm to make sure I understand:

- the empty truck weight is 8000 lbs approximately meaning I can take the trailer weight of 16,400 and add the 8000 lbs to get to the 24,000 lbs?

Really appreciate your help on this!

Gord

So for anyone looking to answers for this, other than my self.  After noteven's answer I ended up googling more info and found that the curb weight is the empty weight of the vehicle but includes gas and fluids.  It appears if you are looking to tow you take the curb weight and then the gross vehicle weight of the trailer (which would include fully loaded trailer with water, and cargo) to get to the recommend max combined weight of truck and trailer.  You would have to include the passengers and other cargo in the truck as well, but the majority of the weight will be in your trailer.

Again, thanks noteven - literally just made me a happy camper!!!

19 hours ago, Gord said:

Thanks noteven!   This sounds positive - so just to confirm to make sure I understand:

- the empty truck weight is 8000 lbs approximately meaning I can take the trailer weight of 16,400 and add the 8000 lbs to get to the 24,000 lbs?

Really appreciate your help on this!

Gord

Yes that is basically the math. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

6 minutes ago, whj469 said:

No it is not a dually. It is a 2019 F350 XLT, crew cab, long bed, diesel, SRW. Maybe the diesel?

Only the 2019 F-350 DRW trucks have the 14,000 GVWR.  I have almost exactly the same truck as you are listing (mine is extended cab) and my GVWR is 11,500 pounds, which is the max for any 2019 SRW Ford Superduty. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

5 minutes ago, whj469 said:

Not according to the sticker on inside of the door or the tow guide.

I am looking at the technical specifications right now.  The SRW F-350 trucks max out at GVWR of 11,500 pounds. All of the DRW trucks are listed as 14,000. 

Check out Page 5 of the 2019 Super Duty Tech Specs

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

On 2/7/2021 at 9:31 PM, whj469 said:

My F350 is rated for 14,000 lbs. That 3500 seems low?

Gasoline engine in his truck.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Gasoline engine in his truck.

Gasoline vs Diesel has minor impact on the GVWR of trucks. It is primarily based on tires, axles, suspension, etc.  The GCWR does vary significantly with engine type, axle ratio, etc.  

For both Ford and Chevrolet, the 2020/2021 SRW trucks are maxing at around 11,500 on GVWR, while the DRW trucks are up around 14,000. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

15 hours ago, whj469 said:

I looked on the inside of door of the truck and the 2019 Tow Guide.

Here is a link to the 2019 Tow Guide:  Ford 2019 Tow Guide

Page 12 lists the GVWR for the F-series trucks. 

Can you point me to where any SRW trucks have a GVWR for 14,000 pounds??  I don't see it. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels