What is the best travel trailer for two people?

PuebloBonito

Hard to tell someone what is best for them.  As for manufacturers, I'd start by looking at Lance, Northwoods or Arctic Fox.  I would stay away from Thor and Forest River products.

Winnebago now owns Grand Design.

Take a flashlight with you and look in the back of and behind cabinets to see how they constructed, wired and plumbed.  Stapled cabinets are not good as is the faux plastic covered wood-look particleboard cabinets.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Welcome to the Escapee forums. We will help all that we can but it is very difficult for us to give a recommendation with so little knowledge. The desires and the budget you have are key to any answer that you would be happy with. I would suggest that you start by visiting several RV dealers and spend some time just walking through a very wide range of travel trailers. Things to consider are not only the budget but also the vehicle that you have to tow the RV with and the physical size of those who will stay in it. For example, my wife and I are on the medium to small size physically so we are comfortable in a much smaller RV than would those how are 6'+ tall and 350# All of those are important to think about. Where you plan to use the RV and the weather that you will experience also should be considered. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

My biggest suggestion, no matter what brand you buy, and whether it is new or used, is to get an independent inspection done.   Best $500 we've ever spent. (Might be less for a smaller unit, I'm unsure, we have a beast of a fifth wheel!)

https://nrvia.org/locate/

You wouldn't buy a home without an inspection (and the bank wouldn't let you); don't skimp here.  Way too many stories online to make that mistake.  And anything that's found that you can live with, you can use it as a negotiating item.  We were able to knock our entire inspector cost off from the seller's asking price.  (They were good people, and knew it was important!)

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Welcome to the forum.

As Kirk said, there are a lot of differences between what you want/need and what we want/need. You mentioned a trailer for weekend getaways. Is it possible that you might want to eventually become full-timers? If so, consider this trailer as a practice one. Do you have any physical or mobility issues, either now or on the horizon? Do you travel with pets? Are you going to boondock (staying in remote places without access to electricity, water, or sewer? What "toys" will you want to bring with you? These questions, and many more, will help guide to you what is best for you.

Just to address one point. Most trailers these days require you to go up five or more steps just to get inside. An exception is the Airstream. That may or may not be an issue for you, but it could be for some people.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Occasional weekends are easy in most any trailer. If you want to travel longer or for more years, you need to buy something capable of that. 

Given current health situations I would start by going on line to PPL Motorhomes and looking at lots of trailers while trying to imagine living in them. I imagine putting away the things we think we need. When I find myself packing the third set of things in the same cupboard I realize I need to think differently about what we need whether that be the stuff or the cupboard.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer?sortBy=price+desc

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Welcome to the forum!

You asked about the 'best' travel trailer.  Did you mean the 'best' quality or the 'best size'?

You don't need the best and most expensive quality if using it just for weekends or for a one or two-week vacation.  For that just look at entry models.  If you plan to go for more than a month at a time and do it often, you might want to consider a little better quality.

For weekends you might want to begin looking at a size 26' to 30' or even smaller if you feel you are compatible enough to stay in close quarters, especially on a rainy weekend.  If you are tall be sure to test for head room and bathroom/shower room for your head and body.  Some can be very confining.

The best thing to do is to visit nearby dealers and compare different ones for size and features.

Size also depends on what you have to pull the trailer.  You need to do it safely.  Google for some articles on pulling trailers and how you'll need to measure the weight of the loaded trailer.  Lots of good articles on YouTube.

Look online at manufacturer's websites and study some floorplans to see what's available.  You also might want to look at this consignment website  https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/travel-trailer?sortBy=price+desc                   as everything will have a floorplan to study and you'll get a feel for prices.  You'll probably be able to pick out what manufacturers offer the most expensive trailers by studying the year and price and compare.   A used trailer may be good for you.  You certainly don't have to spend more for a new one.  This website also has the option of looking at 5th wheel trailers, Class B, Class C and Class A.  Explore it thoroughly.

Good luck!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

24 minutes ago, 2gypsies said:

If you are tall be sure to test for head room and bathroom/shower room for your head and body.  Some can be very confining.

We tested one where my Dave, who is 6'2" tall couldn't close the bathroom door because his knees were in the way. :)

Which reminds me to tell you those floor plans are not to scale. They tend to measure beds but nothing else.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, sandsys said:

We tested one where my Dave, who is 6'2" tall couldn't close the bathroom door because his knees were in the way. :)

Which reminds me to tell you those floor plans are not to scale. They tend to measure beds but nothing else.

Linda

HA ha.  Reminds me of a couple of RVs we had.  One was a class C that the bathroom was so small that you could sit on the toilet and brush your teeth, literally over the sink.  Another small class A ....you had to open the bathroom door in order to stand up and pull up your pants.

Yes, you need to be sure you can fit into the bath room.

Another thing is what is often referred to as the "first timers bed".  The bed stuffed up in the corner next to the bathroom and has a corner lopped off to have a pathway to the bathroom.

One thing that we tell newbies shopping is to visit lots of dealers and politely tell the salesperson to get lost and you will find him when you have questions.  Now sit in the RV, play house in it and pretend to fix a meal.  Where will the dishes and cooking utensils be placed?  Where is the pantry.  Next try on the bathroom,  Will you fit in the shower, where are the toiletries stored, where are the linens, etc. 

Next is the sleeping area.  Where are clothes stored, can you easily access the bed? 

And finally, relaxing for the evening.  Can you see the TV from a comfortable position, or do you watch sitting sideways?  Is there adequate lighting for reading?

But do not forget about storing outdoor chairs, fishing gear, a grill, etc.

Have fun looking.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Also keep in mind that travel trailers have the least storage space.  5th wheels have much better.  The more slideouts you have the least storage.  For weekenders this is no problem but if planning long-term it makes a difference.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In addition to the things Ken mentioned, I like to sit in "my" chair and read any documents available. Not only does that tell me a lot about the RV it tells me if the chair is really comfortable or if it only felt good to sit down for a few minutes. :)

Linda

On 1/31/2021 at 3:10 PM, sandsys said:

In addition to the things Ken mentioned, I like to sit in "my" chair and read any documents available. Not only does that tell me a lot about the RV it tells me if the chair is really comfortable or if it only felt good to sit down for a few minutes. :)

Linda

I agree with Linda.  When sitting still, try to imagine it’s been rainy and cold for x number of days, and you are cooped up inside.  The layout and the number of windows might be a factor for you.

Edited by Sculptor

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg