Selling my truck

crstrm

Craigslist is excellent !! If you're not in a large city - list in the closest one/s near you.

Hints to make it a better experience:  Get a voice mail *only* phone number - should be about $8. per month. It eliminates calls to your "regular" phone numbers at all times of the day & night, as well as the obvious "tire kicker" and dealer calls. The one I use can handle up to a 5 min outgoing message.

Briefly describe what you are selling, terms, etc.  Tell callers to leave their number, you will return calls in order received. Do not leave an e-mail on CL - overloads your inbox, often with SPAM.

Example:  I was selling a small TT. -  Put it on CL at about midnight.  The next day -about 5PM- I thought I would see how it was going.  Ninety five (95) calls !!  A few were dealers, some were repeat callers who didn't "catch on", some offering more than the listed price.  Stuck to order received.   Made a list, started returning calls.  First call was left at 2AM !!   After a brief discussion, he arrived at my home (which was about a 2 hr drive for him) at 9PM - with cash, and his tow vehicle.  So, sold in less than 24 hours!  Did the same a few months later with a fishing boat.  Maybe 10-15 calls by second day.  Second caller bought it - same result, only he was much closer (about 20 minutes away).

**When item is sold, leave a message on the voice mail indicating same.**

Another hint - I should have listed the caller's numbers about five at a time for callback.....would have saved some paperwork.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

I have had good luck selling and buying on Facebook Market place.  It is easy to search local.

I use to use CL a lot but over the past year or two I get very few results when searching for stuff.  Also the "local" one for me is the nearest big city a couple hours away. 

Edited by Nwcid

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

14 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I have had good luck selling and buying on Facebook Market place.  It is easy to search local.

I use to use CL a lot but over the past year or two I can't find anything I am looking for.  Also the "local" one for me is the nearest big city a couple hours away. 

Selling: If you have what "they" want - 2 hours is within "reality" - as the guy who bought the TT I advertised.

Buying: If you are the one looking to buy something - the 2 hours may not be practical (for you). Supply and demand??

Banks closed. TT buyer even  went to one of those cash advance places to add $$ to what he had on hand, as he needed more than he could get at ATMs.

The fishing boat transaction was all during normal banking hours - so no problem for him.

Of course, it's what works for you....I can only say, as a seller,  CL couldn't have been better for me.... X-2  !!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

2 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Selling: If you have what "they" want - 2 hours is within "reality" - as the guy who bought the TT I advertised.

Buying: If you are the one looking to buy something - the 2 hours may not be practical (for you). Supply and demand??

Banks closed. TT buyer even  went to one of those cash advance places to add $$ to what he had on hand, as he needed more than he could get at ATMs.

The fishing boat transaction was all during normal banking hours - so no problem for him.

Of course, it's what works for you....I can only say, as a seller,  CL couldn't have been better for me.... X-2  !!

Kind of, but not really the example I meant.  

I am currently looking for a tool box for the HDT. 

CL - "job box", first 120 results (page 1) nothing that even has to do with that.  Lot of pick up ads, 3 for tuck tool boxes which semi close, handful of adds for pole barns or Christmas ornaments?????

FB market - First page (about 120 results also).  Still no "Job Box" but there are Knacck, Rigid, Greenline etc, some tool boxes, truck tool boxes, and most of the results have something to do with the type of item I am looking for.  Yes there are 20% of the results that do not relate, but that is way less then the 100% from the CL search. 

CL - "Knaack box", a total of 1 item, at least it is a Knaack box. 

FB market - Very similar to the results for "job box".  

It has nothing to do with distance, or banks or anything else.  If CL does not even show me results for the item or similar item there is nothing to buy.........

Again in the past CL worked well for, but it has been getting worse over the last 2 years. 

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

1 minute ago, Nwcid said:

Again in the past CL worked well for, but it has been getting worse over the last 2 years.

I wonder if the last year caused people stuck at home to decide to clean out their stuff but didn't have knowledge of how to list items?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 1/17/2021 at 1:11 PM, Nwcid said:

Kind of, but not really the example I meant.  

I am currently looking for a tool box for the HDT. 

CL - "job box", first 120 results (page 1) nothing that even has to do with that.  Lot of pick up ads, 3 for tuck tool boxes which semi close, handful of adds for pole barns or Christmas ornaments?????

FB market - First page (about 120 results also).  Still no "Job Box" but there are Knacck, Rigid, Greenline etc, some tool boxes, truck tool boxes, and most of the results have something to do with the type of item I am looking for.  Yes there are 20% of the results that do not relate, but that is way less then the 100% from the CL search. 

CL - "Knaack box", a total of 1 item, at least it is a Knaack box. 

FB market - Very similar to the results for "job box".  

It has nothing to do with distance, or banks or anything else.  If CL does not even show me results for the item or similar item there is nothing to buy.........

Oops! - I thought the thread starter (the "OP") was looking for suggestions of where to list his *GMC TRUCK*  for sale - and wasn't too sure about Craigslist.

(IMO) if it's priced right - a good, clean *TRUCK* should be easy to sell on almost any medium! 

Good luck finding a job box at the right price!