propane furance out again

GlennWest

I posted some years back about this. I move and usually this happens. Furance will attempt to lite, fan runs for a few minutes, then shuts down. No heat. For the last 3 times it has been a clogged orifice. I used air to blow down out the lines last time. It is not slug from propane. It is solid. Actually looks like rust. Where you suspect it is coming from?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Steel piping. Only place it can come from, brass doesn't rust, rubber hoses might breakdown inside, but that's a reach.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

8 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That's what I think also but it seems like the oil that is in propane would prevent this. Anything you would suspect besides carbon pipe to replace with?

Without laying hands on the patient, I'm hesitant to even suggest rust in the piping, but I know you've seen scale inside new steel. I'd pull apart a couple of connections, just to get a look inside, to start. There was a recent thread on a fridge quitting when the slide kinked the supply hose, on a slide mounted kitchen, so keep an open mind. It wouldn't be hard to paint the inside, after a good scouring, but you need to confirm the rust first. I'm assuming you've checked the drops, built into the piping system. Every time the pipe transitions from horizontal to vertical, it should run into a T, with a dead leg below the transition. Pull the caps off the dead leg, and look for problems inside the cap.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

I was thinking it should have a drip leg. Camper too low in front now. Cannot see one from outside looking under. Oh, it is definitely rust. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

RV's usually do not come with a drip leg  in LP plumbing, stix N brix usually have one at each LP appliance. Also houses usually do not have non-metal hoses. It is these non-metal hoses that are IMO the source of "oil in propane" lines. This reference appears to confirm the source of any oil/residue: https://rasoenterprises.com/propane/72-propane-residuals is the plastic LP hoses.

Glenn it would not be difficult to install a 2" drip-leg in your LP plumbing, however to be effective one should be at each LP appliance.

FWIW, I have never seen anything in any of my drip-legs in our house; I check them every 10  years  in my 50 yrs old house. All the LP lines are copper or black iron pipe, no plastic lines.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Yes,. Agreed. This is not a problem I should have. Never heard of read of this problem  anywhere. But there is nowhere rust could come from except the pipe or tanks. The tanks being filled should show up then. Not after towing. Towing jars the rv/lines. Wonder if adding a dripleg would solve this?

Edited by GlennWest

9 hours ago, rpsinc said:

You can move over to catalytic heater and save a bunch of propane.  Eliminate the noise of the blower too BUT it wont solve your rust in the line problem unless you use a portable tank and a hose solely for the heater.

If it was just me I would have a catalytic heater. DW is so sensitive to fumes. But we don't have a lot of propane use. Our mini splits does good. If windy outside and near freezing temps, need a little help. 

55 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Yes,. Agreed. This is not a problem I should have. Never heard of read of this problem  anywhere. But there is nowhere rust could come from except the pipe or tanks. The tanks being filled should show up then. Not after towing. Towing jars the rv/lines. Wonder if adding a dripleg would solve this?

I think there's a good chance it will if you can locate a small drip leg at the LP entrance into the appliance. It does not have to be big like a house, perhaps a Tee, 2" long  pipe nipple and end cap, of whatever the size pipe is on the appliance.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Going to try that. Raining now. Also my back went out. Well hip actually. Or nerve from back to left hip. Anyway in lots of pain cleaning furnace orifice out yesterday. This unusual for me. Just turned 64. Hope that not a sign of things to come.

29 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Going to try that. Raining now. Also my back went out. Well hip actually. Or nerve from back to left hip. Anyway in lots of pain cleaning furnace orifice out yesterday. This unusual for me. Just turned 64. Hope that not a sign of things to come.

Howdy Glenn - 

Looks like you and I are both as old as the space age. Ya, it's a sign... 

Anyways what if you replaced the rusting pipe with copper tubing? 

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

RV's usually do not come with a drip leg  in LP plumbing,

Ours has 2. First 1 is below the 30lb tank, as the steel piping transitions from vertical to horizontal, second is rearward on the trailer, where the piping goes back to vertical. The rear 1 is built with a cross, rather than a T, as that's where the ASME frame mounted tank joins the piping system. Wouldn't (shouldn't) be that hard to add one, if it turns out to be the source of the problem.

Please e-mail us here.

15 minutes ago, noteven said:

Howdy Glenn - 

Looks like you and I are both as old as the space age. Ya, it's a sign... 

Anyways what if you replaced the rusting pipe with copper tubing? 

Copper tubing could be damaged from rocks and debris on highway. I really think it would be good though. Had thought of that.

7 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Copper tubing could be damaged from rocks and debris on highway. I really think it would be good though. Had thought of that.

It could be protected with a good quality plastic wire "loom" or even two layers of that.  The big safety with copper tubing is not to conceal it where you could accidentally puncture it with a fastener  and cause a leak inside where the propane cannot escape. 

Oh and don't run it where it becomes a skid shoe for the trailer when you are off roading 🤣

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Lowes sells that yellow flexible lines for propane. 1/2 or 3/4". I could use that with brass fittings and no rust. That should be more puncture proof than tubing. It not real expensive either

Again, would need to be inside, away from road damage. Only steel would be allowed outside the box. Don't use galvanized, either, for gas service. You know why.

Please e-mail us here.

32 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Again, would need to be inside, away from road damage. Only steel would be allowed outside the box. Don't use galvanized, either, for gas service. You know why.

and steel rusts inside causing my problem. Which likely would never be a problem in a residential usage. Guide lines were wrote for residential usage. Not a vehicle bouncing up and down the road. I am getting tired of pulling that unit out

Edited by GlennWest

Maybe install a sediment bowl just prior to the valve ???

20 bucks at Tractor Supply :

1079324?$456$

And , your nerve hip pain is likely sciatica . I've been dealing with it for about 20 years .

Go see a chiropractor . Learn how they relieve the pain for you and then do it yourself . 

Or , have your lower back fussed ( not what I chose ) .

Goes around , comes around .

I feel sure you are right about my hip pain. I'm getting better. Ibuprofen. Can't really pinpoint why it happened. Haven't had pain like this for decades. Only seen those sediment bowls on liquid. A dripleg does same.

38 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I feel sure you are right about my hip pain. I'm getting better. Ibuprofen. Can't really pinpoint why it happened. Haven't had pain like this for decades. Only seen those sediment bowls on liquid. A dripleg does same.

The only thing I can have is aspirin . One 81mg per day . And multiple self adjustments daily .

The sediment bowl has a filtering screen incorporated and is easy clean . Also lets you see what's being filtered  . ;)

Goes around , comes around .