Roof Vent Covers

bobsallyh

I'm going to put vent covers over our roof vents. There are basically two different covers. One that is very common and just covers the vent. There is a longer cover that goes further to the rear of the vent. The shorter cover states on the info, that it is "not recommended" for use over Fantastic fans. The longer cover would probably let more air in when the fan is in use. But is there really a big difference? Has anybody used the shorter version on Fantastic fans? There is quite a price difference between the two. Any input would be appreciated.

I had a vent cover from Max-Air on our RV but when I had the dealer ad a fantastic vent fan they had to replace it with on made for the fan as the fan's vent cover would not open far enough with the Max-Air. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Fantastic fans move a lot of air and the cover must be designed for that criteria.  We had vent covers but the fan blades picked up a lot of dirt. Technicians told us that we needed more air volume to prevent the dirt from staying on the fan blades.  Changed out the covers and cleaning interval more than doubled. That was the time that Fantastic Fan was owned before being sold to Atwood, or who ever. 

Bill

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

1 hour ago, etu said:

Where is the most ideal area to install these vent fans in 5er?

It depends to some degree on the purpose for the vent fan. In the bath it is usually to remove moisture from the shower and odors from the toilet. If you want to pull out the hot air, then in a fiver I'd put it in the bedroom/highest point. These fans are also reversible so could be used to bring in fresh are and so might want it in the living area. I believe that there is a model that has a remote control and there is also one that opens or closes the vent cover remotely. Fantastic Fan models

12 minutes ago, etu said:

I may put it in the bath to replace the noisy one. 

If so, don't run the fan while flushing the toilet as you do not want to draw air from that tank. :) 

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I had a vent cover from Max-Air on our RV but when I had the dealer ad a fantastic vent fan they had to replace it with on made for the fan as the fan's vent cover would not open far enough with the Max-Air. 

I've had Max-Air covers on both of our Fantastic fans for ~10 years.  The covers permit the fans to open plenty far as far as I can tell.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We had Max-Air covers on ours because Fantastic Fans weren't making covers yet when we got our first fans. Once they started making their own covers they added that bit about using other brands might cause problems which would then not be covered by their warranty.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I installed a Fantastic Fan with a remote last spring.  I couldn't be happier with it.  It was pricier than I originally planned for.  The remote adjusts to about ten or more fan speeds, it is quiet, can be set to come on at certain temperatures and closes when it rains and is easily reversible. And it was easy to install.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

9 hours ago, docj said:

The covers permit the fans to open plenty far as far as I can tell.

The Max that I had only allowed the fan cover to rise about 3" while the one for it allose it up to about 45°+. The tech showed me and I made the decision. That was about 2 years ago.

Edited by Kirk W

9 hours ago, sandsys said:

We had Max-Air covers on ours because Fantastic Fans weren't making covers yet when we got our first fans. Once they started making their own covers they added that bit about using other brands might cause problems which would then not be covered by their warranty.

We, also, had our covers long before Fantastic made them.  Fantastic went down the path of rain sensors, thermostats, reversible motors, and other stuff, when all we wanted was a fan that we could use when it was rainy and/or very windy.  

Personally, I think those claims about "problems" from using other brands of covers was purely an attempt to win back customers.  If you think about it, the only part of the fan that is affected by the cover is the lift motor which doesn't have fixed endpoints to its travel.  It opens until it meets resistance and it closes in the same manner.  It's a small motor which is designed to be "stalled" without damage.  It doesn't know how far the cover has been lifted; it simply stops when it meets resistancce.  Therefore, IMHO the claim of possible damage from using a Max-Air cover is bogus.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

26 minutes ago, docj said:

We, also, had our covers long before Fantastic made them.  Fantastic went down the path of rain sensors, thermostats, reversible motors, and other stuff, when all we wanted was a fan that we could use when it was rainy and/or very windy.  

Personally, I think those claims about "problems" from using other brands of covers was purely an attempt to win back customers.  If you think about it, the only part of the fan that is affected by the cover is the lift motor which doesn't have fixed endpoints to its travel.  It opens until it meets resistance and it closes in the same manner.  It's a small motor which is designed to be "stalled" without damage.  It doesn't know how far the cover has been lifted; it simply stops when it meets resistancce.  Therefore, IMHO the claim of possible damage from using a Max-Air cover is bogus.

Before they started making their own the factory rep said the same thing.  He told us it would not be a problem.  That was years ago and it is still working with the old cover.  I don't see a need to change.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift