Inverter Question

SuiteSuccess

Even though my inverter in the truck is turned off and NOT connected to shore power, it sparks when I reconnect to batteries.  I try to clean my copper bus bars each year that interconnect the batteries.  I always disconnect the negative cable first then the positive and reconnect positive first then negative.  I tried reconnecting negative then positive as a test and it still sparked.  Why is it doing this?  Not really comfortable with sparking around batteries.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

6 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Short answer; capacitors charging.

So I guess only way to “be safe” away from the batteries is a disconnect switch on the positive distant from the batteries?  I’ve never had or been around a battery explosion but always on my mind when sparking occurs with terminal connections.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

They always make me jump, too. Even when I know that it's going to happen. Used to work a couple plants with yearly UPS services scheduled. A room full of batteries, a couple thousand connections between batteries. Every year, take the system offline, remove every connection, clean all surfaces, test every battery, reconnect and torque every connection. Any spark was a jump-inducing event. 2 guys, 2 days each, plus a third day documenting everything before handing over to bring it back online.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Even though my inverter in the truck is turned off and NOT connected to shore power, it sparks when I reconnect to batteries.  I try to clean my copper bus bars each year that interconnect the batteries.  I always disconnect the negative cable first then the positive and reconnect positive first then negative.  I tried reconnecting negative then positive as a test and it still sparked.  Why is it doing this?  Not really comfortable with sparking around batteries.

Just to clarify, these are the truck batteries, not separate coach batteries?

The truck batteries will pretty much always have some spark as the ecm powers up even with the key off.

I'm a work'n on it.

10 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Did I read correctly.... no disconnect switch between the batteries and the inverter?  

Correct.  Have a fuse but no switch.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Just to clarify, these are the truck batteries, not separate coach batteries?

The truck batteries will pretty much always have some spark as the ecm powers up even with the key off.

Yes truck batteries and I’m only talking about the cables to the inverter not the myriad of other battery cables.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Short answer; capacitors charging.

Yep, the whole purpose of capacitors is to suck up power for later short-term supply of power.

There isn't any reasonable/inexpensive way to prevent this.  Better to look at your concern from a different point of view. 

The battery explosion danger is due to hydrogen gas can be emitted during charging.  After you've cleaned your connections and want to reconnect your inverter, any hydrogen has dissipated.  The spark doesn't matter - there's nothing to ignite.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

Yep, the whole purpose of capacitors is to suck up power for later short-term supply of power.

There isn't any reasonable/inexpensive way to prevent this.  Better to look at your concern from a different point of view. 

The battery explosion danger is due to hydrogen gas can be emitted during charging.  After you've cleaned your connections and want to reconnect your inverter, any hydrogen has dissipated.  The spark doesn't matter - there's nothing to ignite.

That makes sense.  Thanks.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Instead of taking the cables off, use a simple disconnect switch. Will accomplish same goal without the spark. Something like this is simple and comes with the cables too (can get without).

https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Current-Master-Battery-Disconnect/dp/B00Y63TQLG/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3B8W4UNLT9WT4&dchild=1&keywords=battery%2Bdisconnect%2Bswitch&qid=1606059666&sprefix=battery%2Bdisco%2Caps%2C278&sr=8-3&th=1

Edited by lockmup68

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

DM, Shannon,

If I put a cutoff in line, I would still have to leave it on all the time to use the charger function of my inverter/charger to keep the batteries charged and conditioned.  I leave my truck on shore power through the winter and long storage periods.  Are you recommending the cutoff just to disconnect for any maintenance or change outs?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

On 11/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, DesertMiner said:

Got my Blue Seas in today and will be installing soon.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3