Water flow kitchen

New problem cropped up two days ago.  Water flow in the kitchen sink began to fade.  Today we arrived in Bushnell and the kitchen is a trickle.  Pressure at CG faucet is normal.  Bathroom flow is good.  Shower flow is good.  There are no visible kinks in the line to the kitchen.  I'm assuming there is a blockage in the kitchen line.  Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting this one?

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

2 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

New problem cropped up two days ago.  Water flow in the kitchen sink began to fade.  Today we arrived in Bushnell and the kitchen is a trickle.  Pressure at CG faucet is normal.  Bathroom flow is good.  Shower flow is good.  There are no visible kinks in the line to the kitchen.  I'm assuming there is a blockage in the kitchen line.  Does anyone have suggestions for troubleshooting this one?

Unscrew the aerator on the end of the faucet head and see if it is clogged.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Ive seen EITHER  a clog deep in the faucet assembly orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr a clogged up aerator screen cause that. Are BOTH the hot and cold slow????????? If ONLY one I suspect the faucet assembly but if BOTH maybe the aerator screen.

John T   NOT a plumber so no warranty but still those are the two places I suspect.

I neglected to say that I checked the aerator and it is fine.  I've thought about it some more.  The problem affects both hot and cold.  Since the cold feed to the hot water tank branches off from the kitchen sink cold feed (one branch to hot tank and one to kitchen sink), and the hot water outflow to the shower and bathroom is fine, the problem is downstream from that branch.  Since the only thing that affects both hot and cold in the kitchen downstream from that point after the hot water tank is the one-handle faucet, I'm going to look at that. I've never taken one apart before (I'm a retired lawyer, not a plumber.)  This may be interesting.

Jinx and Wayne

49 minutes ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Since the only thing that affects both hot and cold in the kitchen downstream from that point after the hot water tank is the one-handle faucet,

That would be my next step as well. You are thinking in the right way to eliminate the things which can't impact both water supplies and it looks like the faucet is about the only thing that could cause your symptoms. I had one of the ball type faucets in our house get to where it would not open fully and a rebuild kit corrected that. It was long enough ago that I don't remember exactly what the cause was, but the kit wasn't difficult to install. If your faucet set is from the RV supply world there may not be parts available but if it is one of the major plumbing supply brands there should be rebuild kits at Lowe's or Home Depot. 

Plumbing is one of my most disliked chores, and I made my living in the electrical/mechanical repair field.  😏 I really think that you are on the right track.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, Kirk W said:

If your faucet set is from the RV supply world there may not be parts available but if it is one of the major plumbing supply brands there should be rebuild kits at Lowe's or Home Depot. 

Kirk,

Thank you.  It is a ball type faucet.  Although our rig is old (2006 Carriage) we rebuilt the kitchen last year so the faucet is relatively new.  It is from Dura, so parts or a new faucet are available

On 11/15/2020 at 8:47 AM, DJohns said:

Does your kitchen faucet pull out on a hose? If so, there is a screen between the faucet and the hose.

Jinx and Wayne

On 11/15/2020 at 8:28 AM, Kirk W said:

I had one of the ball type faucets in our house get to where it would not open fully and a rebuild kit corrected that.

I contacted Dura customer service and they agreed that is most likely.  We had it installed about 14 months ago so Dura is shipping a kit under warranty.  It should be in Avon Park when we arrive.  They also sent a video on how to make the replacement.  For those considering a new RV faucet, Dura's customer service was very prompt and very helpful.

Jinx and Wayne

Well, I'm stumped.  Monday I received the the ball replacement kit from Dura and installed it.  It took a matter of minutes.  And then nothing had changed. I was considering my next step when - lo and behold - the water flow was back to normal this morning.

I have a couple of thoughts.  One, my re-build was slightly out of alignment.  Two, something was partially blocking the line and broke loose.  Three, my plumbing system shares the same sense of humor as my GPS (routing through residential streets when towing is a big favorite of the GPS). Four, none of the above.

I'm going to make more coffee now.  I will admire the water flow and resist the urge to claim credit for it.

Jinx and Wayne

1 hour ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Well, I'm stumped.  Monday I received the the ball replacement kit from Dura and installed it.  It took a matter of minutes.  And then nothing had changed. I was considering my next step when - lo and behold - the water flow was back to normal this morning.

I have a couple of thoughts.  One, my re-build was slightly out of alignment.  Two, something was partially blocking the line and broke loose.  Three, my plumbing system shares the same sense of humor as my GPS (routing through residential streets when towing is a big favorite of the GPS). Four, none of the above.

I'm going to make more coffee now.  I will admire the water flow and resist the urge to claim credit for it.

Just think of it like we do our smart phones and other computers.  Just turn then off and back on and it starts working again. 😁

In your case, taking it apart and putting it back together again is what it needed.  

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, Al F said:

Just think of it like we do our smart phones and other computers.  Just turn then off and back on and it starts working again. 😁

I've always taken the view that magic is as good a description for some phenomena as any scientific answer, depending upon your level of technological expertise.  The workings of cellphone and computers beyond basic programing issues are magic to me.  I can make them work most of the time, but I have too little knowledge to describe the rest of their workings as anything other than as magic. Where that point is depends upon the person.  Turning computers on and off to fix them is about my level.  That is above the cargo cult level, but not by much.

Jinx and Wayne

9 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

I will admire the water flow and resist the urge to claim credit for it.

I suspect that the repair kit did correct the problem, even if it didn't immediately. As long as it continues to operate properly after you "fixed" it then I would say you do deserve the credit. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI