Starlink begins paid service

docj

Starlink has begun allowing people to actually sign up for its service at a cost of $99/mo plus a payment of $500 for the receiver. Promised speeds are 50-150Mbps with some periods of "no service". The no service issue probably arises because there may be times when the satellites will not be in position above your location.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/27/spacex-starlink-service-priced-at-99-a-month-public-beta-test-begins.html

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Likely as previously thought, only if you have some sort of physical mail receiving address in the relatively narrow band of southern Canada / northern USA (I think I read 44 to 52 deg lat.).  While there are reports of at least some in TX being offered service, it does not mean it is really "open" yet.  Maybe some with an address in SD, depending on the location...

image.png.73dc04c124e424f310efcd24e96de305.png

Edited by Dp26

4 minutes ago, Dp26 said:

While there are reports of at least some in TX being offered service, it does not mean it is really "open" yet.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/10/spacex-starlink-bringing-free-internet-to-some-texas-kids-in-early-2021/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Thanks Joel for posting.

Downloaded the phone app for clear sky field of view.  It’s fairly large open sky area that would be hard for us to achieve in many of our RVing locations. As satellite count increases, would expect this to narrow. 

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

• 3 weeks later...

It is my understanding that the "Better Than Nothing Beta"(Starlink's words, not mine!) is geofenced, meaning that it will only work at your home address or very nearby. RKIs pls correct me if i am wrong.

On the + side, the reports are that it works great even when snow and icicles cover the receiver in blizzard conditions!

-CF

Edited by CFerguson
edited fer spaillin'

From CNBC, Oct. 27, 2020

Called the "Better Than Nothing Beta" test, according to multiple screenshots of the email seen by CNBC, initial Starlink service is priced at $99 a month – plus a $499 upfront cost to order the Starlink Kit. That kit includes a user terminal to connect to the satellites, a mounting tripod and a Wi-Fi router.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 11/11/2020 at 3:06 PM, CFerguson said:

It is my understanding that the "Better Than Nothing Beta"(Starlink's words, not mine!) is geofenced, meaning that it will only work at your home address or very nearby. RKIs pls correct me if i am wrong.

On the + side, the reports are that it works great even when snow and icicles cover the receiver in blizzard conditions!

-CF

I haven't found anything official about geofencing, but the word I'm seeing from current beta testers is the user terminal is geofenced with a 15 mile range, and that's expected to be dropped when the service is opened to the general public.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

15 minutes ago, CFerguson said:

Thanks Dutch, thats good news. I can easily forsee a receiver that self adjusts as you go down the road with the antenna on the roof once they get enough satellites up.

I'm looking forward to telling Comcast what i really thing of their 'cusstomer service'.

Go Elon!

Elon has said in the past that Starlink would be well suited to mobile service, so I'd expect RV'ers would be a good application once the geofencing is removed.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system