LED turn/clearance open circuit fault

trimster

Put in LEDs in the front turn/clearance lights on the Volvo. Now the dash computer throws an open circuit fault. Turn signal sound in the cab is fast, but the actual bulb flashing in normal.

How's this fixed? resisters? LED compliant turn signal relay?

Thanks

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

10 hours ago, trimster said:

LCM programming....user do'able? Or is this a dlr thing? 

Lighting Control Module. Dealer or local mechanic with the software.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I don’t know about the front but my rear lights sorted themselves out on their own after a few days or so.  Really they flash correctly outside so don’t be in a rush to spend money at the dealer.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

Change your flasher to an electronic type instead of the one supplied.  I did the same thing on my IH 4700, and when I turned on the lights to check operation, the blinkers acter wacko.  Changed the flasher and all is good.  Circuit is looking for some load to operate the flasher and the LEDs dont have enough of a load.

Marcel

By far the easiest solution is to add a resistor across each of the LED bulbs.  As far as taking away the "advantage" of LED bulbs, the only thing the resistor does is draw a little bit of current when the LED light is on to clear the trouble code.  Not enough to worry about unless you plan on leaving your truck unattended with the flashers on for more than a day or two.

https://www.amazon.com/Zento-Deals-Pieces-Load-Resistors/dp/B01N0ZKV1R

Edited by Lou Schneider

So, the flasher sound in the cab is fast. The turn signals blink at a normal rate.

The open circuit error happens when you turn the key to the on position. Computer is checking stuff I guess.

Where's the flasher relay located? I'm guessing under the top dash panel where the fuses and such are.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Generally speaking, installing aftermarket (probably chinese) LED bulbs into fixtures originally intended for incandescent bulbs results in degraded lighting performance....not to mention the electrical problems you are having. 

I'd put the normal bulbs back in (use bulb grease) and move on to the next upgrade.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here.