Making the Jump

rollinbrian

After two years of dragging our 18,000lb trailer around with the MDT I think we've reached the point where it's just not cutting it anymore.

Items that have led us here:

• We thought the shorter MDT would make us more maneuverable.  And it does, but as we evaluated all the places we've parked only a couple would not have worked with an HDT.  And in one of those I clipped a palm tree and a rock on the way out, so clearly shouldn't have been there in the first place.
  • We thought the shorter MDT would let us park most places just like a pickup.  Almost, but in many places (California beaches) you can't park a pickup there either.
  • We thought we would just be making short trips around the PNW.  With changes in work and then the pandemic we're now roaming from North Wa. to South Cali.
  • The 5.9 Cummins in the MDT is running at a high duty cycle, maintenance and repairs are costing as much as buying newer.
  • The MDT has the deck space for a smart car but adding one would push us up to a gross weight of around 33,000lbs.

So, we are on the hunt for an HDT now!

Edited by rollinbrian

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

A heavier MDT might be your best compromise.  But they tend to be pricey, and have nearly all the disadvantages of an HDT, except many have 4 doors.

There's no "one size fits all", in rv-ing.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

A heavier MDT might be your best compromise.  But they tend to be pricey, and have nearly all the disadvantages of an HDT, except many have 4 doors.

There's no "one size fits all", in rv-ing.

We contemplated that, with a bit of searching we found some M2's in our price range.  We decided a sleeper cab with storage would be preferred over what is effectively a crewcab.  Also, most don't have the deck space for a smart car.

Edited by rollinbrian

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

The bad thing about a MDT is they dont have any more power than a pick up truck. We have a M2 with a service body on it and a FL60 roll back truck. I couldn't imagine pulling my camper with either of them. The M2 would probably do pretty good until we hit the hills.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Some of the MDT's have the same drive lines as we do, but they're not common.  I believe Georgia Hybrid had one?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, rollinbrian said:

I think this was more like a consignment sale of an earlier truck.  Dunno beyond that.

Thank you for sharing your photo. I like the paint job. Be safe on the road and enjoy the ride.

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• 2 months later...

Well, now you've gone and done it. Your wife will be spreading the word of your increased performance far and wide. Looks sharp.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

As you get your head wrapped around the rig and figure stuff out like how it drives, what you have to do to feel comfortable moving down the road, I might suggest some mirrors on the hood. Ours came with them and they are key to seeing idiots in the blind spots. Just when you think you are clear to move over, I've glanced at those and found a small car or motorcycle that would cause things to end badly with the lane change. Didn't have them on our MDT. Would not be without them now.

Enjoy the rig.... and all the beer-can-in-hand rubber necking when you pull into the campground.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On 12/7/2020 at 6:37 PM, trimster said:

As you get your head wrapped around the rig and figure stuff out like how it drives, what you have to do to feel comfortable moving down the road, I might suggest some mirrors on the hood. Ours came with them and they are key to seeing idiots in the blind spots. Just when you think you are clear to move over, I've glanced at those and found a small car or motorcycle that would cause things to end badly with the lane change. Didn't have them on our MDT. Would not be without them now.

Enjoy the rig.... and all the beer-can-in-hand rubber necking when you pull into the campground.

Thanks, that's really great info.  I was wondering if it was worth effort of adding those in.  I have noticed that the factory door mirrors do leave a little blind spot tucked right up next to the truck.  Didn't have that issue with the MDT.

Another thread here on the site does have a document on how to add and position them so we'll give run here shortly.

Major issue right now is it was originally equipped with a skyjacker hitch bolted straight to the frame.  Swapping in my air ride hitch consumes a lot more space and interferes with the back main beam of the aluminum deck body.  hmmm

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

• 2 months later...