heated area

GlennWest

Many RV furnaces have more outlets than are used. It might be simple to add another flexible duct to a nearby insulated compartment. The flexible duct to my wet-bay is 2", and it keeps the bay above freezing in any weather I care to camp.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

Many RV furnaces have more outlets than are used. It might be simple to add another flexible duct to a nearby insulated compartment. The flexible duct to my wet-bay is 2", and it keeps the bay above freezing in any weather I care to camp.

Thank you for that. Good common info that just eluded me.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn,

Seems you are never 'out of the planning mode'  🙂  The MH we got used 6 months ago has the wet bay heated w/thermostat. Not sure about rest of the storage areas, but believe they are also.  The is an all-electric unit, with diesel Aqua-Hot for heat source when needed.  As to the battery sections, don't think they are heated and have some openings to outside for venting. If on shore power, would not be hard to have a small space heater in compartment, since no fumes present?  Also, don't some Li batteries come with a heat source built in, or am I confusing that with a BMS that precludes charging when below freezing?

Joe

Edited by jblo

3 hours ago, jblo said:

Glenn,

Seems you are never 'out of the planning mode'

What else are you supposed to do when you can't work? I'm not even planning to go full time again yet I am still in planning mode. Some of us enjoy planning. :)

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I'm sitting here in the snow at 9600' in Colorado and my battery compartment has not gotten below 60ºF.  It is adjacent to the aquahot and the heated basement.  My 3 Battleborn LiFePO4's are very happy!

This is in a 1999 Foretravel.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

I didn't want to move my Battle Born LiFePO4s behind the basement wall in our fifth wheel (didn't want to redo the wiring and move the ATS, inverter, solar charge controller, etc.), so I left them in the front compartment (non-heated) and put BB's thermostatically controlled heating pads on them. The pads are 12VDC and take their power directly from the batteries. They come on at 35F (temp inside the battery boxes) and turn off when the temp gets back up to 45F. We'll be wintering at the top of the Chesapeake this year and the converter/charger will supply the power for charging the batteries and heating the pads.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, folivier said:

I'm sitting here in the snow at 9600' in Colorado and my battery compartment has not gotten below 60ºF.  It is adjacent to the aquahot and the heated basement.  My 3 Battleborn LiFePO4's are very happy!

This is in a 1999 Foretravel.

You have no slideouts on your coach. I was looking at them but don't want aquahot. Too much maintenance. How do you feel about no slideouts? Never been in one without

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I think you will find that in most motorhomes, the existing battery compartment is exposed to the outside environment.   There is little incentive for the RV mfg to put them in a heated compartment as lead acid batteries are designed to be used in temps from zero to 100 degrees.  

As far as lithium batteries are concerned it is the battery internal temp not outside air temp that is the concern.  If the lithium batteries are in an enclosed compartment with some insulation they will probably be above freezing (internal temp) down to 10* outside temp or lower and OK for charging.  They can be discharged down to zero or lower.  The batteries also produce some heat when being used so that helps keep them warm.

On the other hand heat over 100* is detrimental to long life of the batteries.  So putting in a well insulated compartment w/o good ventilation is not a good idea.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

One consideration if your rig has propane furnaces is you can save significant money when plugged in by using electric heaters.  I've used 3 1500 watt heaters, one in the bays and 2 in the coach.  Also used a 100 watt light bulb in one bay.  Stayed in temps down to 10 f.  Only used propane for hot water.  Was also much quieter than using the propane 

Well, I have been researching aquahot a lot and feel comfortable with it. Yearly maintenance is simple and I can do it. So what you thhink of doing away with propane. Residential fridge and wife does use gas stove top anyway. Remove propane tank and use that for a mini split. It is already vented. 

Glenn, most MH LP tank areas are open to road spray and everything that comes with that, will the mini-split tolerate that?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961