Looking for info about California fires impacting travel, and 80w rest stops

Zenguitarguy

Given your health and the current air quality conditions at your destination I would think the rental company would have to at least agree to let you reschedule your trip. If not, you might want to contact the Attorney General for your destination because I'd think they'd be interested in this situation. Mentioning the AG in your conversation with the rental company might also provide positive results.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We cancelled and are going through the trip insurance to try and get our deposit/downpayment back. What is odd is the owner has re-listed and if he rents it then he makes a lot of money because we had to cancel and did not offer a refund or a credit? It is a very odd cancellation policy.

That said, we really appreciate all of the good advice, are disappointed and a bit sad we are not visiting our son, but feel it was a good decision to wait to go there until the fires subside. This is a really great community and we look forward to trying this trip later. Thank you all!

On 9/13/2020 at 1:38 PM, 2gypsies said:

Thank you. She is better today.  The oral steroids and steroid inhaler has helped along with the air quality a little better but still bad.  Coincidently, she once lived in your home town, Longmont. :)

I'm curious.... how is the air by your son in Arcata?  What are his feelings of you coming for a visit?

I hope you will give the RV rental a try to get out of it.  Tell him of your asthma and the air quality from the fires.  He may support your wish of cancellation or changing the date to later.  Good luck in whatever you do!

I am happy to hear she is feeling better! Asthma is so tough. Longmont is a great place to live and it is a small world!

The air in Arcata is very bad. They are just west of a big fire and mandatory evac zone. They are staying inside with an air purifier and thankfully do not have asthma issues. He was pretty clear he did not want me to come and get sick and was sad we could not make the trip. The renter cancelled but has kept the deposit/first payment and we are hoping our trip insurance will reimburse us. Thank you for asking.

3 hours ago, Zenguitarguy said:

We cancelled and are going through the trip insurance to try and get our deposit/downpayment back. What is odd is the owner has re-listed and if he rents it then he makes a lot of money because we had to cancel and did not offer a refund or a credit? It is a very odd cancellation policy.

I don't know how this might apply but when we left an apartment in Minnesota before our lease was up and they rented it to someone else they were required to release us from the rental agreement as they can't charge two people for the same place at the same time. So, if the rent it they may HAVE to refund your money?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 9/12/2020 at 8:08 PM, Zenguitarguy said:

I am not certain that asthma will constitute a "sickness" that the insurance will recognize? It is just odd and a bit stressful because of course we want to go visit our son and not waste a lot fo money, and at the same time it looks so bad. Are people travelling in RV's in california now or is it all just shut down? It does not seem like there are a lot of places to stop or camp?

Asthma/COPD can be a life or death illness, I know from years of experience. Last Sunday I had an asthma attack, my BP was 209 over 94 during the attack, it took 2 days, prednisone and several nebulizer treatments to recover. I can smell the wood smoke from those West coast fires here in Indiana, and stay indoors whenever practical.

What I'm saying is, yes asthma is a sickness/illness. Call your Dr. and get a statement of your condition as evidence, when requesting a refund.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 weeks later...

I am curious if anyone has run across an RV rental that takes a substantial deposit with ample and fair notice and then rents the RV for the same dates and keeps the rental fees? We are experiencing just that. We had to cancel for medical reasons and safety because of the fires. Outdoorsy and the owner have kept almost $2000.00, but the RV has rented for the same dates? I know with a rental property double rent is illegal but is it the same for an RV? It feels odd that they are profiting in excess because things happened outside our control. AND we still need a rental to get to California as the fires subside. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

9 hours ago, Zenguitarguy said:

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reading the refund policy on the link above, you may need to address that with them if you received less that the stated amount for the level of contract that you had. I would suspect that flexible is priced most, then moderate and then strict? You haven't said which one you got or if your contract addressed any cancelation fee? You could talk with an attorney, but they would probably charge most of what you get back. I just checked with Cruise America and they say that they will refund (less fees) the downpayment up to 7 days before departure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

To be honest, had the owner suffered a loss because of our cancellation, ethically I would be ok paying a fee, even though our circumstance was caused by wildfires and Dr.'s orders. My issue is that the owner has re-rente for those days and so he and Outdoorsy get $2000 from my family that ethically they should refund. I am not sure my recourse but will probably have to report it and fight for my right to a refund of sorts. It does not make a lot of sense to me but lately people and how they treat others is not making a lot of sense to me. Had it been reversed I would call the renter and let them know I have rented the RV and work out an arrangement for a refund, but that is my ethical mode of operation. Thanks for all the help and kind comments and I hope we can rent something down the line and report here what a great trip we had!

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Reading the refund policy on the link above, you may need to address that with them if you received less that the stated amount for the level of contract that you had. I would suspect that flexible is priced most, then moderate and then strict? You haven't said which one you got or if your contract addressed any cancelation fee? ............

In re:  The link.

So - which one : - -  Flexible? - Moderate? - Strict?  - (or?)

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

In re:  The link.

So - which one : - -  Flexible? - Moderate? - Strict?  - (or?)

Sorry, I looked at it and saw it was strict, although when we first booked we expressed concerns about the fre and was told it was not an issue. Again, my isue is the double renting and making a substantial profit on our change of plans that were caused by the fires.