Small Class A vs. Class C

lmathies

Hi, I am looking at getting an RV in the 24-26 foot length range.   I was looking at a small Class A diesel  such as a Itasca Reyo 25 Q or Winnebago Via 25  or similar RV   vs.   a 24 foot Class C diesel  on a Sprinter Frame.    I believe the Reyo and Via are also on a  Mercedes Benz Sprinter Frame.   Does anyone have experience with these and could offer some insight?      

I had been looking at an older Dynaquest 260 but have concerns over only having a sofa bed and not an actual bed and the comfort it would provide although I do like the build of the Dynaquest.

1 hour ago, lmathies said:

I believe the Reyo and Via are also on a  Mercedes Benz Sprinter Frame.

Itasca is a division of Winnebago and those two are built on the same assembly line and both use the Sprinter chassis. We have friends who own a 2015 Via since it was new and they are very happy with it. 

1 hour ago, lmathies said:

have concerns over only having a sofa bed and not an actual bed

We lived with that for a time many years ago and would never go back to it. It is partly the poor comfort level and also the constant making the bed and unmaking it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Winnebago eliminated the Itasca line a few years ago but still may make the same vehicle under the Winnebago name. I’m also sure there are many used ones available as well. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 9 months later...

For what’s it’s worth….We started out many years ago with a new Coachman Prism (24 footer on Mercedes Sprinter chassis), still the best RV I’ve ever owned.  We found out on our very first trip it just wouldn’t work.  Sleeping arrangement, etc… Kept it about a year and traded up to a new 34 foot FRED Serrano…..kept it about 5 years and wanted something still larger.  Ended up trading it on a new Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH.   We are very happy with the larger unit.   All I would recommend is that you fully understand the RV before purchase.  Make sure it fits your needs, floor plan and layout is so important.  Maybe rent one for a brief weekend??  We loved the Prism, but either myself or my wife had to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom, wasn’t enough room for a 6’1 inch guy to stretch out on the bed, etc….Good luck on your decision.

6 minutes ago, Hhg in Austin said:

We loved the Prism, but either myself or my wife had to crawl over the other to get to the bathroom, wasn’t enough room for a 6’1 inch guy to stretch out on the bed, etc….Good luck on your decision.

That's why we encourage buyers to play house in an RV they are considering and go through the motions of everyday activities before they buy. I also encourage a potential buyer to sit in "his or her" chair and read documents so they discover if that chair is actually comfortable beyond getting off the feet for a few moments.  It's amazing how that puts things in perspective.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

5 hours ago, sandsys said:

That's why we encourage buyers to play house in an RV they are considering and go through the motions of everyday activities before they buy. I also encourage a potential buyer to sit in "his or her" chair and read documents so they discover if that chair is actually comfortable beyond getting off the feet for a few moments.  It's amazing how that puts things in perspective.

Linda Sand

Yup, always sit on the toilet seat and close the door if there is one to make sure you can without hitting your knees.  Where's the toilet paper holder located, is it easy to get to.    Kick off the shoes and get into the shower and pretend to wash your hair - does your knuckles hit on the skylight, etc,?   Pull in the slides and see if you can get to the toilet, get to the bed, open the refrigerator - because sooner or later you will need to spend the night with the slides in.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

We’re traveling Alaska right now in a rented 22 foot class C and no doubt it is much smaller inside than the 31 foot class C we rented here 2 years ago.  We chose the 22 foot this time because we’ll be putting it on the ferry from Valdez to Whittier and the ferry has a 25 foot maximum.  This 22 foot is working fine for just the 2 of us.  Renting is another good way to determine what your needs are.

Also consider any on your short lists features:

-Inside storage 

-Basement/outside storage 

-Grey/Black/Water/Fuel tank sizes 

-House battery capacity, if you plan to boon dock 

-CCC (The amount of passenger and cargo weight capacity)

-Do you plan to tow a Toad? (Understand the weight capacity that the units you are considering can handle.)

-Quality of components and construction comparison between the ones you are considering. (Price does not always indicate higher quality:)!)

-Exterior color. (Darker colors, require much more effort to maintain a cool level, when traveling in high temperature areas.)

-Insulation values. (For Four Season capability, if that is important to you.)

And then go visit owner groups of the short list of units you are considering, and browse around some. (IRV2, has some very active owner groups.)

Best of luck to you, and have fun,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!