HDT with HD Trailer

Nwcid

42 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

Custom and better for less then mass produced isn't likely to happen. 

Why not?  Labor is often the largest cost.  If you remove a large portion of that, then it gets much cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

Edited by Nwcid

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

1 hour ago, Nwcid said:

Why not?  Labor is often the largest cost.  If you remove a large portion of that, then it gets much cheaper and you get exactly what you want.

Labor is a major cost, it is not the only one by far.     My material cost list with no furniture or decor items is just under 53K.

That includes steel, aluminum, windows, bath fixtures, kitchen appliances, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and insulation.    That does not include wall treatment, flooring, soft furniture or window treatments.    

A good used trailer is between 10~20 grand, custom paint and exterior finish to make the thing look like an RV at least another 10 grand.      You could paint it yourself, materials about 3 grand + prep.

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

2 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Labor is a major cost, it is not the only one by far.     My material cost list with no furniture or decor items is just under 53K.

That includes steel, aluminum, windows, bath fixtures, kitchen appliances, plumbing, electrical, HVAC and insulation.    That does not include wall treatment, flooring, soft furniture or window treatments.    

A good used trailer is between 10~20 grand, custom paint and exterior finish to make the thing look like an RV at least another 10 grand.      You could paint it yourself, materials about 3 grand + prep.

Steve

Where are you finding a good used HD trailer for that price?  I think Space Craft new start at $250,000, New Horizons are $200,000.  I can't find used Space Craft, used  New Horizons still hold a premium price. 

To go buy a new "mass produced" Fusion, Momentum, Voltage, etc 40-45' toy hauler is going to be close to $100,000.  For that same price range I can build  more substantial trailer that is set up exactly how I want.  Those mass produced units, even the good ones only hold up so well to full or semi full time living.  

14 hours ago, Nwcid said:

The cost of doing something for the first time once is expensive vs the cost of doing something over and over again.  Concerning the labor costs; even if someone does 100% of the work themselves there is a cost to their time (lost hours to their real job, higher costs incurred elsewhere, etc).  

Go look at folks who build their own ice houses vs. purchasing them.  Over and over again the same pattern, end result is either more money or lower quality (time duration is always insanely long).

2000 volvo 610
2013 cyclone 3950

ontheroad.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2020 at 8:40 AM, steiny93 said:

The cost of doing something for the first time once is expensive vs the cost of doing something over and over again.  Concerning the labor costs; even if someone does 100% of the work themselves there is a cost to their time (lost hours to their real job, higher costs incurred elsewhere, etc).  

Go look at folks who build their own ice houses vs. purchasing them.  Over and over again the same pattern, end result is either more money or lower quality (time duration is always insanely long).

True, but you get exactly what you want and often built to a higher quality than mass produced.  

I do all kinds of custom projects.  Some do end up costing more, but most do not. 

On 9/11/2020 at 8:56 AM, noteven said:

This is an example of non "RV" HD truck, trailer, and Mercedes auto on board:

JJ and family 1

JJ and family 2

video 2 has a short sponsor word at the start. 

Very nice.  Thank you for sharing. 

We did a custom build with a company called Dune Sport. Ours was under $100k. We are liking it so far after having it for one year. We will be at the HDT rally with it. It is not in the same class as a Spacecraft or New Horizons but it has what we wanted. We have a 20'+ garage and we put the SUV (or a full size van) in the garage.

ejgLaial.jpg

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

7 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

We did a custom build with a company called Dune Sport. Ours was under $100k. We are liking it so far after having it for one year. We will be at the HDT rally with it. It is not in the same class as a Spacecraft or New Horizons but it has what we wanted. We have a 20'+ garage and we put the SUV (or a full size van) in the garage.

ejgLaial.jpg

You need to share the wealth and come to the West Coast Rally with it too.  😉  I'm interested as I am now considering changing to a Toy Hauler since we bought our RZR and my retirement is getting closer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

18 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

You need to share the wealth and come to the West Coast Rally with it too.  😉  I'm interested as I am now considering changing to a Toy Hauler since we bought our RZR and my retirement is getting closer.

We hope to be able to get there next year since I have retired and hopefully more stuff is open. It is all about time with family events!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

There is a U tube vid by "Badass RV" showing their KW class 8 with a trailer that looks like it was built out from a "race car" type trailer. 

Double stacking garage etc. 

They show the living area and garage interior not much of the trailer itself, suspension, rear gate, ground clearance etc. 

Another place for ideas is on "Racing Junk" classifieds. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.