Dashcams

SuiteSuccess

Could I get a review of what dashcams seem best suited for our use?  Not camera system, just forward looking for traffic or enforcement events.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi Carl,
I just changed my 1080P dashcam to this VIOFO A129 Pro new 4K dashcam last trip. I can now make out license plates much better and has really good video. I also bought an extra GPS mount to move to the Smart Car and the the remote Bluetooth button which I mounted on the dash that can trigger the camera to save picture and video quickly since camera is not reachable from seating position. Since this uses a lot of data to record 4K I bought a 256Gb micro SD card. There are a lot less expensive dashcams out there but I have been happy with this one so far. The WiFi app is nice and parking mode records great video when not in truck when sensing movement.

After trying several, all with flaws, I installed this Garmin 65w around 2 years ago. 

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/587334

Major pluses:  Small, but with great video clarity.  Hard wired (if desired) Comes on when ignition is turned on. Don't have to remember to plug it in. Continues recording for set time after ignition off, also is motion sensitive, comes on even with ignition off if truck is jostled. Easy to transfer files to computer, can also see videos on app. But here is the best. It is voice activated. Just say "OK Garmin, save video" or "OK Garmin, save picture" Saves video 90 seconds before your command, continues for 90 seconds after your command. 

Only negative is the price. But after wasting $'s on cheaper units this one did it. 

This is not my video, but is worth watching.  Talk about the totally unexpected. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

I am using the Thinkware F800 Pro.  They are HD 1080p @30fps with 128gb SD cards.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DLMP7YK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have them hardwired so they automatically come on when the vehicle is started.  They tuck away nice and neat behind the rearview mirror so you don't even know they are there.  They record video in 30 second chunks.  If you are hit or even a good jult like from a pothole then it will create a separate video file that has 20 seconds prior to the "trigger" and then the following 10 seconds.

I have one installed in each vehicle.  Each vehicle also has the rear facing camera installed as well in the rear window.  The only vehicle I have only a front facing camera is the RV (due to rear facing camera not weather proof for exterior mounting).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

If wired to come on with ignition, will the above still come on in the motion sensor mode?  And thanks folks for the replies.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Yes they will come on even if the ignition is off and respond to any motion of the tractor. A stiff wind would do it. The hard wired circuit goes to both +battery for full time juice and Ign on for regular needs, so it doesn't just sit there recording when the truck is parked for days, weeks, years, whatever....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Carl,
Yes the one I have comes on with motion. Also, if you do the hardwired kit it will stay in parked mode for monitoring when not in vehicle and has a low voltage cutoff setting so if batteries get to low will turn off dashcam.

Hardwired kit

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

All I know about dash cams is this. I have had 2 cheap ones. They are both garbage. You get what you pay for.

Yep.  I agree.  Have a mid grade one wife got on an Amazon lightening deal.  Lasted one year.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3