water pump

My pump in my Teton is factory. It suns, shuts off runs shuts off constantly while runnning water. Is this normal or is they a problem. After posting this I remembered it has an adjustment screw. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn, for several years now as a standard practice if not there already I install a pressure accumulator like ARGO above. That really reduces the short term surging and constant run stop run stop cycling. Im NOT judging your pumps performance, maybe its showing its age maybe its fine ?? Im ONLY saying a cheap n easy installed pressure accumulator really reduces short term over cycling plus provides a more constant and even pressure water delivery.

Thats my story n Ima stickin to it lol

John T 

Exactly as above. Since the pump turns on and off by pressure, it will do exactly what you describe no matter what pressure it is set for or what brand/model of pump that you have. What an accumulator does for you is exactly the same as the pressure tank in a well water system. It allows the pump to fill that tank to some preset pressure and maintains an air cushion in the top to allow water used to slowly drop and thus the pump runs longer when it turns on but the stays off longer as well. In both cases there is a low pressure that turns the pump on and a higher one where it turns on, usually about 10-15# for a well and around 5# with your RV pump. The only difference between an accumulator as used in an RV and the pressure tank on a well is the size and the location of that pressure switch to turn the pump on and off. The well uses a pressure switch to control the pump that is located on the pressure tank, while the RV pump has the pressure switch on it because the accumulator is not always used. 

There is an additional value to installing an accumulator. Because the pump cycles less I have found that they usually last longer before needing maintenance or replacement. In addition, having an accumulator on your cold water line will void the need of keeping the air cushion in your water heater, assuming that it's check valve is on the outlet side and not the inlet. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Today we may purchase a varible-speed water pump, this eliminates the need for an accumulator tank. When I replaced my water pump the varible-speed pumps were not on the market, so the next year when my accumulator tank air bladder burst I just replaced it.

The variable-speed pumps will run every time a faucet is opened, but at a speed just enough to supply the water flow requirement.

When any water pump runs without an open outlet, there is either a leak or damaged pump head.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The variable-speed pumps will run every time a faucet is opened, but at a speed just enough to supply the water flow requirement.

While I have never had one of the variable speed pumps, it still seems to me that the accumulator would be a good thing. I put our first one in when we had a motorhome that the water pump was under the bed, directly below Pam's pillow. It was either do that, or stop using the toilet if she was sleeping!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Geez, that pump cycling has become a part of the sounds I associate with RV living, sort of like the sound the rain makes on the roof.

Maybe an accumulator would make the pump last longer.  My RV has had lots of use over 18 years of life.  I never do water hook ups so I cannot imagine the tens of thousands of gallons pumped.  I did have to replace the pump about 7 years ago.  

59 minutes ago, JimK said:

Maybe an accumulator would make the pump last longer

Jim, While that may indeed be true, I think what may also last longer is the pumps "pressure switch" as an accumulator greatly reduces the rate of On Off Cycling its contacts must endure. The more times they open and close the more possible carbon and burning and pitting on the contacts. Hey if you got 7 years use that's not bad !!!!!!!!!

John T 

8 hours ago, Kirk W said:

While I have never had one of the variable speed pumps, it still seems to me that the accumulator would be a good thing. I put our first one in when we had a motorhome that the water pump was under the bed, directly below Pam's pillow. It was either do that, or stop using the toilet if she was sleeping!

That is the main advantage to the accumulator tank. My water pump does not turn on all night(or if it does,I can't hear it) even with both of old folks using the facilities; the pump is in the insulated water bay below the foot of the bed. This one should last the rest of our RVing lives.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I've added accumulator tanks to almost every RV I've owned. Our current motorhome came with a Shurflo Revolution variable speed pump, but I still like the performance better with the accumulator tank installed. As said, the pump cycles much less often for less wear on the pump controls. We too often get through the night without the pump running at all. Our pump is quite quiet though, since I relocated it from the bottom of a bedside cabinet to the wet bay after our first night sleeping in the RV. ;) 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system